Help me plan my next fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 1/2 quart each from my previous 3 oil changes : 5W-20 PP, MC Syn-Blend, and Castrol HM. I need 3 quarts for my Spring fill so I can get rid of these half full bottles what do you guys suggest? I'm currently running MC blend, previously PP. The only difference I notice between the two oils is that the car started faster with PP so I'm leaning in that direction.

02 Zetec Focus with 107K, using Motorcraft filters, Central TX change oil every 5K no leaks and minimal loss

Last edited:
Probably nothing wrong with with mixing, but I would not. Go with one brand and use your partials to top off over the next year as needed.

Go with the PP if its worked well in the past.

Mobil 1 or Valvoline Syntec are also popular options. Syntec would work well especially with your short 5k interval it has proved great with its UOAs

If your mixing some leftovers, which is what I do frequently, you could pick up some PYB on sale now at Kmart. IMO....PYB is a Great Oil and a Great Cleaner for your engine. It's on sale a Kmart for 5 quarts for $12.00. IMO...You can't go wrong with the Yellow bottle for quality and the sale price.

Run the oil that runs best. PP in your case. Pick a brand your car likes and stick with it so your .5 quarts are compatible. My Honda prefers M1 EP to PP fyi. Hope this helps. P.S. 5 quarts of M1 EP and an M1 filter for $35 at Autozone.

Sure. Mix away and use up your oil.
Being in Austin, you could also use a 5-30, as the engine was originally spec'd for that. There were no changes when 5-20 was 'required'.

Thanks guys for the input, I've never done a UOA because my manual recommends 5W-20 at 5K intervals so I stuck with that or every 6 months when I had very short commutes. I figured the mixing will be fine if its mostly one oil. Wish I would have stocked up on PP last summer when the coupons were out.

Originally Posted By: someguy
Thanks guys for the input, I've never done a UOA because my manual recommends 5W-20 at 5K intervals so I stuck with that or every 6 months when I had very short commutes. I figured the mixing will be fine if its mostly one oil. Wish I would have stocked up on PP last summer when the coupons were out.

If you only do 5K OCI then why waste your hard earned cash on any full synthetic oil? IMO....PYB, Formula Shell and lots of Dino oils are extremely great oils today and have excellent TBN numbers in UOA's done. Save your money if you change every 5K and switch to Dino with a good filter.

hi mongo,
I have been using castrol syntec 5w30 on my 2006 camry v6 for 2 years. I like it. OCI 10,000 miles.

Now I like to try something new. I see local pepboys selling formula shell 5qt with filter for $13.99.

my driving are 99 % highway, and speed never over 70 mph. Do you think I can make 10,000 miles with the formula shell?
thanks

I doubt you should try to go 10K with Formula Shell Dino. But if your inclined to change your oil every 5K to 6K and do not have severe driving conditions, then Formula Shell, PYB, Mobil 1 or any good quality oil would be your ticket.

I personally would not try to push a Dino oil past 6K miles since I have quite a bit of stop and go, traffic jams to deal with in NYC. I do have Interstate driving with the combo of city driving so 6K is my ticket for the useful life of Dino oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back