Help me pick between these 2 batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to put a new battery in my Sienna. WM says that either of these will work (both have the same 3/5yr free replacement/pro rate warranty):

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery-Group-35n/16795243

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery-Group-24F/28275657

The only difference I could see was the first one has 640 CCA, while the second one has 750 CCA.

I can wait (the 35n is not currently in stock) to have it shipped if I need to, so I'd rather have the best one of the two, since they are priced the same. Both are $94 for the battery and installation.

Is there any significant difference between the two?

In the Accord world, the 24F is usually the desired upgrade from the 35 (V6) or 51R (4cyl). Weight will be slightly more, but IMO this is negligible. Your use is a minivan, not a car lapping on track day.

If the price is the same, go for the 24F with the more CCA.

The 24F is physically larger than the 35 by a small amount. It's a little more than an inch wider but it's the same height and depth and the terminal post polarity is the same.

If you're sure a 24F will fit, by all means go that route.

When comparing equal physical size batteries, more CCA (thinner plates) is not always the better choice in a warm climate. In this case, the batteries are different physical sizes and weight, so comparing assumed plate thickness is difficult.

I don't know which one is better for your California use.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
The 24F is physically larger than the 35 by a small amount. It's a little more than an inch wider but it's the same height and depth and the terminal post polarity is the same.

^^^^^^^

Right answer.

I put a 24f in my car. Though it is specd a 35..And FYI... If your Wally World has East Penn batteries... The Valuepower battery by East Penn is actually a 624f battery. Aka it has a 2 yr warranty through Napa and a 3 yr free replacement warranty through Federated Auto parts.... That's a steal at $49.88.

I just went out and checked, and there is a 24F (ACDelco) in there right now, so yes it will fit.

OK thanks, I'll have the better one installed.

Interesting... there is a Valuepower that WM has, but they only warranty it for 12 months, and it has only 585 CCA. Yeah its only 50 bucks, but dollar per year, the other two I linked to look like a better deal. If either of them fail within 3 years, I get a free replacement--not so with the ValuePower. I am not doubting the life of the Valuepower, just that if it conks out at 30 mos I get nothing at all.

Originally Posted By: bbhero

I put a 24f in my car. Though it is specd a 35..And FYI... If your Wally World has East Penn batteries... The Valuepower battery by East Penn is actually a 624f battery. Aka it has a 2 yr warranty through Napa and a 3 yr free replacement warranty through Federated Auto parts.... That's a steal at $49.88.

Understand.

You being in CA...

Y'all very, very likely don't gave the East Penn battery to begin with.

Having said that... In my area.... Paying $95 for the Maxx battery... Only really means one is paying extra for the "warranty". Nothing wrong with that.

But... Being that the Valuepower battery is exactly the same as the others with 2 and 3 yr free replacement warranties.... It's actually worth considering on some level.

I'm glad you're getting the 24f. More reserve capacity is a very good thing to have if your alternator fails.

Last edited:
Sloinker & StevieC, the reason why I've chosen WM/Maxx Everstart is that for years my mechanic has been installing ACDelco batteries with an 18 month warranty, and I've been getting 30-36 months out of them, and of course nothing prorated. So if I can get anything beyond 3 years with them, I'll be better off. And WM installs these for the same price as what I was paying before, so I do want to go with them to see if I can go beyond 3 years with them. Anything else would be gravy. If they don't even last 3 years, I'll get a free replacement and then I'll move on to another brand to replace the replacement battery.

It's fine... was just making the comment is all because I haven't had good luck with the WM batteries. Exide is also on my hate list. Interstate I have had mixed experiences with. East Penn/Deka have been excellent and Odyssey are at the top of my list but they are gangster $$$.

Walmarts are everywhere too! CONUS anyway. I wish Sears would bring back the Platinum battery. But, Sears seems to be diminishing.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
It's fine... was just making the comment is all because I haven't had good luck with the WM batteries. Exide is also on my hate list. Interstate I have had mixed experiences with. East Penn/Deka have been excellent and Odyssey are at the top of my list but they are gangster $$$.

Walmart's EverStart Maxx are all East Penn/Deka-made around here in NoVA.

The one I got installed (in my Civic) last year in CA is Johnson.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC

Walmart's EverStart Maxx are all East Penn/Deka-made around here in NoVA.

Exactly. I will give Wally credit... For getting a contract with East Penn to supply their batteries in our area.

Just called local dealer. They want $185 out the door, for 3 yr free replacement, but a 7 yr pro rate warranty.

So I would be paying an extra $90 for a battery that could last quite a while longer, although the pro rate for the last year or so probably wouldn't be much.

That is tempting, but I think I want to go with the cheaper option first. If I do decide to go elsewhere next time, that is definitely something I would look up--esp. if they offered it on sale.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Go look online at your Toyota dealers specials.
Last Toyota battery in my Corolla lasted 8 years.
It was $128 dollars installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back