Help me pick a new oil......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I'm using Mobil 1 and a ST filter.

The car is a 97 Grand AM (2.4 DOHC) with 83,400 miles. I usually change every 4-6 months because I drive less than 5K a year. Mobil 1 is good, but I think it's overkill for my situation. My trip to work is ~1 mile round trip, I occasionally drive around town for 15-30 minutes (less than 10 miles). Very rarely does it see long trips unless I have to go to a meeting.

I'm considering the following oils, any tips or experiences with these oils are welcome.

- Pennzoil HM
- Pennzoil Synthetic
- Mobil Drive Clean Plus (syn blend).
- Rotella Syn.

I know I want to go with something that is at least a blend. I just can't justify a $4+ per quart oil anymore.

I plan to keep using the ST filter as I've been happy with it, and there is little else available in a small town. My oil & filter selection pretty much consists of what Wal-Mart has.

Well-the ST filter is fine. You could certainly go longer on the Mobil 1-probably a year. However since you do so many 1 mile round trips ( can't you walk
smile.gif
)-that is absolutely terrible on the oil. You should try to get a half hour drive in somehow each week at least.

In Arizona I would think you could go with any 10W-30 conventional oil like Chevron Supreme, GTX, Motorcraft or Pennzoil. I really se no advantage in a blend.- except for Schaeffers series 700 oil at about 3 bucks a quart.

IMO. if this were me, and I was in your shoes.
I'd get the cheapest brand of any quality major brand that I liked and felt would do a nice job, and the cheapest filter like a fram or something
even cheaper, and just do real short OCI.
Maybe 1K or 2K.
Better yet... do this:
Follow my advice above, but before you start pull a sample on what you have been doing.
Then after doing the above, sent the sample in and wait for the reports to come in. Keep the OCI short, then once determined you may bump up the OCI by 500-1000 miles and repeat.

Thanks for the comments.

Al, AR is the abbreviation for Arkansas. Not Arizona.
smile.gif
You'd be surprised how many telemarketers ask me to verify my address and read it as Arizona.
lol.gif

The trip is actually .9 miles one way, which I drive a total of 4 times 3 days a week. In total I put on 30-80 miles a week.

That being said, it gets 90-100+F in the summer, and down to the 20's and teens through December and Jan overnight which is when I go to work (5AM). I guess that's not all that cold compared to what it gets up north.

I would love to do a sample, but I just don't see it being sensible for my situation. This is the only vehicle I have and I'm a student so spending $20 to analyze $10 worth of oil doesn't make sense in my situation. That being said, I understand how it does make sense for many of you here and that's why I'm at this site.....because I like the topic and I can learn something from other people as well as their analysis.

No Chevron at the Wal-Mart.

GROUCHO, I have the rebate form printed..... but I'm not sure if I'm going to use it yet or not.
smile.gif

Pennzoil HMV is the only one that promises seal conditioning. Rotella would be good for either 1 year or a high-performance application. Pennzoil SUV oil has "time-released additives" but ester content and seal conditoning is unknown. Mobil DCO blend is a possibility but I was SO dissapointed with regular DCO that I am no going to try it. For a lot of people, $2 a quart is a price-point that they will experiment with "Fancy Boy" oil. Probally a smart thing.

I Vote...Pennzoil Multigrade 10w30 + ST filter three times a year if it needs it or not. Keep the air filter clean! Warm it up with a 30-50 mile drive once a month, use a little Lucas Fuel System Cleaner/OCL (in the gas tank}, once in a while......Don't worry, Study Hard, Be Happy!

[ November 11, 2003, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: 94MaxGXE ]

I think by far the best choice would be the Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40. This oil is often on sale at Walmart. The Rotella T has a higher TBN than the other oils you are interesten in and with it's higher viscosity at high temperatures should give better protection to a fairly high mileage engine. A high TBN is useful in short trip operation where the engine seldom gets to a normal operating temperature.

Hit that thing with a 0w30 of your choice! You don't need a 5w40 with your operating envelope. A 0w30 IS an all-season oil! Personally I use a Heavy Duty oil in my gasser. Rotella is available in this grade and all the other big concerns manufacture an oil in this grade. It's usually available from a truckstop, don't know about your location though.

quote:

Originally posted by Speed racer:
Have you thought of walking to work? .9 miles is 'just down the block'.
It would take about 12-14 minutes to walk; I bet it takes almost that long just to mess with all the motions you go through just to use your car.
I don't want to bring up the 'lazy' word, but...

I know it's off topic but,

As much as I love driving, I also love walking for exercise. In the summer I walk about 90min per day (spread out over three different times during the day) and even in the winter I still walk at least 2-3 miles per day on the treadmill. I weighed 183lbs in July and am now down to 157 (my goal is 153)

Under those conditions you should probably change the oil every 3 - 4 months so full syn would not be a good value.
You should choose a dino 10/30 and use the ST or AC Delco filter.
Joe

I have considered walking and I have done it a time or two when it's nice out. But the big reason I don't do that is because I have to go to work at 5 or 6AM. At that time in the morning it's dark, cold, and deserted. Those walking conditions don't appeal to me.

But on the same topic, I do love walking and I try to do 8 miles of it a week. Not alot, but it beats nothin. ^_^ I dropped 18lbs doing it in a year.

Like someone said above...... after that long it's probably going to have a significant amount of fuel in it whether it's synthetic or plain old dino.
frown.gif

Should just close my eyes, pick a dino oil and change it every 3 months?

No - Don't just close your eyes. Choose a brand that makes you feel good and get a couple of cases because sometimes wallmart is out of that one.
Yes - change it every 3 months.
Joe

quote:

Originally posted by goldfinger:

The trip is actually .9 miles one way, which I drive a total of 4 times 3 days a week. In total I put on 30-80 miles a week.

That being said, it gets 90-100+F in the summer, and down to the 20's and teens through December and Jan overnight which is when I go to work (5AM). I guess that's not all that cold compared to what it gets up north.

I would love to do a sample, but I just don't see it being sensible for my situation. This is the only vehicle I have and I'm a student so spending $20 to analyze $10 worth of oil doesn't make sense in my situation. That being said, I understand how it does make sense for many of you here and that's why I'm at this site.....because I like the topic and I can learn something from other people as well as their analysis.

No Chevron at the Wal-Mart.

GROUCHO, I have the rebate form printed..... but I'm not sure if I'm going to use it yet or not.
smile.gif

were in similar climates. I live in Memphis. Walmart doesn't carry chevron supreme but they carry their havoline equivalent. I did 6 month/3k oil changes. My UOA was fine except for the lead wear. Right now, I'm taking the maxlife offer, I was devoted until I found this site but couldn't turn up the free oil this time. maybe this site caused a big drop in maxlife sales? that made them push free oil. since your trip is only .9 mile, I would walk to tell ya the truth unless it is in the city. If you keep driving .9 miles, I would dump cheap dino oil every 3 months. that oil has to be diluted with fuel and water. I drive 7-8k miles a year but at least 10 miles every start up.

Have you thought of walking to work? .9 miles is 'just down the block'.
It would take about 12-14 minutes to walk; I bet it takes almost that long just to mess with all the motions you go through just to use your car.
I don't want to bring up the 'lazy' word, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back