Help me pick a good "date car" to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is moot. OP is online dating - you don't pick someone up in your car to make the first impression. Either one of you is first to get to the bar or coffee shop and you meet face to face. Your vehicle won't be what keeps you from a second date.

If you're one of the douche-bags who puts pics of his BMW or lifted truck in your online profile, then you've already self-selected away from the smarter ones.

Single in my 40's and hope to never marry, at least not an American woman.

Anyway, I am in my late 40's, drive an 06 KIA Spectra that I bought cash, and my current gf is 28 and a solid 8 on a 10 point scale(from the neck down a 10 imho). I have found physical condition is the most important factor in the dating scene if you are looking for a younger woman at least. Which you should be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Okay, so whoever suggested showing up on the Ducati... may happen, sort of. I'm talking to a pretty lady met on popular online dating site who lives near the town where I get my bike serviced. Well, the Duc needs tires again and there's a mild weather window forecast for Saturday so I'm heading to get it done. Suggested we meet for lunch at a cafe whilst my bike's being worked on. Dealership within couple few blocks walking distance downtown of cafes and etc, so be showing up in boots as opposed to a car, ha.

Is this Ducati bright red??
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: LFN

Anyway, I am in my late 40's, drive an 06 KIA Spectra that I bought cash, and my current gf is 28 and a solid 8 on a 10 point scale(from the neck down a 10 imho). I have found physical condition is the most important factor in the dating scene if you are looking for a younger woman at least. Which you should be.

11.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It's rather sad that someone would feel so insecure that they think they need to have a specific type of vehicle to attract a female. The type of female that would be attracted by a vehicle is not likely the type you'd want to attract anyway.

And, those who say such things are the very same guys who admit they don't understand women.

My first real High-School girlfriend liked me because I restored and road-raced a 1966 Mustang GT. A very typical "Alpha Male" thing to do. We made a great pair and had a whole lot of fun (the car and I..... ) Just kidding of course, she was a great girl and we were together for quite some time.

Later, I met another great girl while autocrossing. We are still family friends!

It is absolutely a good idea to consider an automobile as important in a new relationship. Besides being a display of wealth (yes, many women are practical and understand that a family requires money) a car or truck in good shape, or well chosen also speaks about your personality and practicality. You can tell someone, something about yourself all day long, and hope they believe you. Or you can simply show them. What you drive is part of you, whether you like it or not.

The suggestions of a large, super-crew pickup truck simply scream practicality (and as mentioned above, many women are amazingly practical) . While your date won't necessarily "think" about your truck, I absolutely guarantee she will understand it's value when work needs to get done.

A luxury car like a Jaguar also speaks volumes. It shows that you have enough money to purchase the finer things in life. That you are displaying "high value", in other words. Those who dismiss women who find the finer things in life "attractive" are completely misunderstanding reality. Women are people and share many of the same likes and dislikes. Including a desire for the finer things in life.

Also, a woman's income is lower. That's reality. And, what she likes may be unaffordable to her.

Many of us are here on this very forum because we have invested in some of the finer things and we want to treat them properly for a long useful life.

Last edited:
Hey there LoneRanger,

There is certainly nothing wrong with your Subaru, but (caution, sexist comments approaching) owning/driving a car that she feels is 'nice' will give her a better impression of you and make her feel better about seeing you, as well as better about talking to her friends/family/coworkers/whoever about you. That said, I wouldn't be looking for something that would 'attract' women, but something that would make them feel more comfortable/secure. Not something so expensive that she dwells on it (no Porsche/Rolls Royce-types), nor so inexpensive or old that she is embarrassed by it.

Just my $0.02 here, but... for a 'guy your age', something like an Infiniti G37 or Cadillac CTS/ATS would be nice. You can get them with AWD.

I'd advise against anything that is uncomfortable for her (whoever she ends up being) to sit in or ride in, or difficult to get in and out of.

Who cares what you drive.
I've had mustangs,a firebird,a 76 trans am,trucks,cars and even a tempo and I assure you none of them affected my ability to get girls.
I've had every woman I've ever wanted,and none of it had to do with my car or truck.
Mind you today is different I guess.
I ain't saying she's a gold digger,but she ain't messin with no broke (slang term for man of colour)
I have no use for a woman who even cares about what I drive. Should be a non issue.

Originally Posted By: LFN

Good news, sounds like you might be safe from ever having to worry about a woman wanting to marry you...
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It's rather sad that someone would feel so insecure that they think they need to have a specific type of vehicle to attract a female. The type of female that would be attracted by a vehicle is not likely the type you'd want to attract anyway.

And, those who say such things are the very same guys who admit they don't understand women.

My first real High-School girlfriend liked me because I restored and road-raced a 1966 Mustang GT. A very typical "Alpha Male" thing to do. We made a great pair and had a whole lot of fun (the car and I..... ) Just kidding of course, she was a great girl and we were together for quite some time.

Later, I met another great girl while autocrossing. We are still family friends!

It is absolutely a good idea to consider an automobile as important in a new relationship. Besides being a display of wealth (yes, many women are practical and understand that a family requires money) a car or truck in good shape, or well chosen also speaks about your personality and practicality. You can tell someone, something about yourself all day long, and hope they believe you. Or you can simply show them. What you drive is part of you, whether you like it or not.

The suggestions of a large, super-crew pickup truck simply scream practicality (and as mentioned above, many women are amazingly practical) . While your date won't necessarily "think" about your truck, I absolutely guarantee she will understand it's value when work needs to get done.

A luxury car like a Jaguar also speaks volumes. It shows that you have enough money to purchase the finer things in life. That you are displaying "high value", in other words. Those who dismiss women who find the finer things in life "attractive" are completely misunderstanding reality. Women are people and share many of the same likes and dislikes. Including a desire for the finer things in life.

Also, a woman's income is lower. That's reality. And, what she likes may be unaffordable to her.

Many of us are here on this very forum because we have invested in some of the finer things and we want to treat them properly for a long useful life.
The best post I've read all month and all absolutely true. Well said sir!

I work around in a field dominated by women. Most of my friends are women and I am telling you right now the type of car you drive absolutely without question matters.

Here is a brief bit of car related stuff I have heard from various women over the years.

two co workers talking about some dude shes been hanging out with

girl A: "he drives a BMW"
girl B: "oooooooh nice"
girl A: "but its only a 3 series"

My own sister (28yr old college grad) when I had her help me pick up my 68 Electra.

sister: "ugh.... thats the car?"

Ex gf used to constantly point out cars she wanted me to buy. Started with G37 coupes and she genuinely got upset when I nixed the idea of buying a Kia Forte coupe. She would hunker down low in the seat of the Electra when I was able to convince her to get in it. She would ask me to park out of sight when picking her up from places.
Ex gf: "you are an attractive man with a good job, you should be driving a new car"
ex gf: "I dont want anyone seeing me in this boat"
dvuNYni.jpg

What a hideous car.

Hey I like the older buicks! I just don't want to try and keep fuel in it.
If that same electra was a convertible, it would be the bomb!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Hey I like the older buicks! I just don't want to try and keep fuel in it.
If that same electra was a convertible, it would be the bomb!

It has a black vinyl top ready to be installed after ipick a color to paint it. I'm leaning towards a gray.
I am currently getting 11mpg but thats mostly because I have a horrible bumper to bumper traffic commute. Im guessing with a normal commute and 100% gasoline I would be getting closer to 15mpg.

You want girls. Buy a motorcycle. I assure you there is a line up of beautiful,shallow,gold digging women who want a ride on the back of my bike.
Now that I'm single I've given a few the chance,and they last the night.
The next morning I've lost interest.
A great behind only goes so far. A great mind is forever.

Is it a 455ci?

Nope its rebuilt 430. I recurved the distributor tuned the carb has 40 series flowmasters. Its tuned on the ragged edge of whats possible before messing with the heads and cam. Installed all new front end with poly bushings in the sway bar added bilstein shocks and lowered it a bit.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
You want girls. Buy a motorcycle. I assure you there is a line up of beautiful,shallow,gold digging women who want a ride on the back of my bike.
Now that I'm single I've given a few the chance,and they last the night.
The next morning I've lost interest.
A great behind only goes so far. A great mind is forever.

Totally this.

Women freaking love riders. Id go to a bar set my helmet next to me and women would come to me without me having to say anything. Buy a nice riding jacket too cuz the wimmins think its hot.

Originally Posted By: brave sir robin
Is it a 455ci?

Nope its rebuilt 430. I recurved the distributor tuned the carb has 40 series flowmasters. Its tuned on the ragged edge of whats possible before messing with the heads and cam. Installed all new front end with poly bushings in the sway bar added bilstein shocks and lowered it a bit.

Awesome.

How a woman would rather ride in a Lexus over that Buick is beyond me.

You guys are sending mixed messages.
36.gif

Going to drive a new Chrysler 200 and see how it feels. Love the 300 but can't escape that notion of an outdated platform. The newly styled 200 for 2015 is a looker and with the 292 hp Pentastar and 9-speed trans plus AWD it might be pretty fun to drive (and even embarrass some pricier competitors?). That combo might be able to squeeze into my price range with a tight deal.

The base Forester on steelies with black plastic door handles and no roof rack does look a little cheap.
You could dress it up a little if you can find a Premium Package model in a yard. The '09 17" alloys are nice looking.
OTOH, the Forester is a bit of a chick car and chicks like them.
Driving this machine also shows that you're a realistic sort of guy who has priorities that come before a flashy car.
Alternatively, you could buy a nice old ragtop BMW and use it as a summer driver. Everybody enjoys a convertible during the summer.
When it comes to women, the ones you want won't be impressed with a car.
They'll be the ones who are comfortable with you.
It depends upon what you want.
If all you want is the occassional roll, you probably already know women who'd be more than happy to accomodate this whether you show up rockin the Subie or the Duc.
Finding a new long-term mate is a little more involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back