Help me pick a gas trimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went with ECHO 58v trimmer from HD. Its little heavy, plenty of power. No starting issues
smile.gif
I'd recommend it.

2 stroke exhaust flares my asthma
frown.gif

Last edited:
Since you're discussing 100:1 premium 2 stroke oil's. Has anyone tried leaded fuel? There's an independent gas station near me that sells Sunoco 110 octane on the pump but you can only fill approved containers, of course no ethanol.

To me leaded fuel would sound optimal for 2 stroke, lead itself is a lubricant, would still need to be oil mixed obviously. Has its down sides, lead deposits in the chamber mainly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
At 100:1 -- how many ounces per gallon?

or better yet, how many ounces per 2.5 gallons?

Straight from Amsoil, you can mix the Saber at any of the following ratios:

MIX-------------RATIO------OIL--------FUEL
Conventional-----32:1-----4.0 OZ----1 U.S. gallon
Conventional-----40:1-----3.2 OZ----1 U.S. gallon
Conventional-----50:1-----2.6 OZ----1 U.S. gallon
SABER® Ratio™----80:1----1.6 OZ----1 U.S. gallon
SABER® Ratio™---100:1----1.3 OZ----1 U.S. gallon

The back of my 3.5 oz. bottle says "Mix entire contents of bottle with 2.0-to-2.5 U.S. gallons". If my math is correct, that's 73:1 with 2-gallons or 91:1 with 2.5-gallons. But generally people don't get every last drop out of the bottle so the ratios may end up being a tad more leaner than that.

As I recall, during the R&D, they tested Saber all the way out to 200:1 without issue.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I only use, and recommend electric trimmers. Since you have a small lawn why would you even want a gas one???

I realize technology has come further with electrics and there are likely more capable brands to choose from since purchasing my Craftsman 18v trimmer back in 2009. I only had the one battery that came with it which could almost do the front and back yard alone. After not too long the battery started to weaken and I found myself having to alternate between the front and back yard as it only had enough charge for one or the other before recharging. I could have purchase a second battery for it but they were expensive and by that time my confidence level wasn't very high in that unit. That's when I decided my next trimmer would be gas powered. Besides that, I find enjoyment in small engines, gasoline, and engine oil.

Originally Posted By: GemStater
I only use, and recommend electric trimmers. Since you have a small lawn why would you even want a gas one???

I realize technology has come further with electrics and there are likely more capable brands to choose from since purchasing my Craftsman 18v trimmer back in 2009. I only had the one battery that came with it which could almost do the front and back yard alone. After not too long the battery started to weaken and I found myself having to alternate between the front and back yard as it only had enough charge for one or the other before recharging. I could have purchase a second battery for it but they were expensive and by that time my confidence level wasn't very high in that unit. That's when I decided my next trimmer would be gas powered. Besides that, I find enjoyment in small engines, gasoline, and engine oil.

Craftsman anything tends to be low quality nowadays, and a trimmer with less than 40v will not do a good job. I'm sure the craftsman 18v wasn't even Li-Ion battery? I bought a craftsman C3 1/2 impact 19.2 volt, $99, I'm like great deal basically 1/2 price. I got my money worth. Can't hold a charge for more than a day, the impact was ok, needs Li ion battery at almost the price of the tool to be anyway reliable. Lesson learned.

Originally Posted By: Fraser434

Craftsman anything tends to be low quality nowadays, and a trimmer with less than 40v will not do a good job. I'm sure the craftsman 18v wasn't even Li-Ion battery? I bought a craftsman C3 1/2 impact 19.2 volt, $99, I'm like great deal basically 1/2 price. I got my money worth. Can't hold a charge for more than a day, the impact was ok, needs Li ion battery at almost the price of the tool to be anyway reliable. Lesson learned.

Right, that's why I mentioned "more capable brands". At the time, 2009, I don't really recall but it seemed like battery powered trimmers where relatively new to market. I didn't really research the options like I just did with the gas-powered. The reason I bought the Craftsman is my Dad had the identical model and said he liked it. Looking back I should have borrowed his first before buying it.

Oh, one other thing I didn't care for about battery powered trimmers is that so many times I'd forget to plug the battery in for recharge and it wouldn't be ready come time for yard work.

Straight from Amsoil, you can mix the Saber at any of the following ratios:

MIX-------------RATIO------OIL--------FUEL
Conventional-----32:1-----4.0 OZ----1 U.S. gallon
Conventional-----40:1-----3.2 OZ----1 U.S. gallon
Conventional-----50:1-----2.6 OZ----1 U.S. gallon
SABER® Ratio™----80:1----1.6 OZ----1 U.S. gallon
SABER® Ratio™---100:1----1.3 OZ----1 U.S. gallon

The back of my 3.5 oz. bottle says "Mix entire contents of bottle with 2.0-to-2.5 U.S. gallons". If my math is correct, that's 73:1 with 2-gallons or 91:1 with 2.5-gallons. But generally people don't get every last drop out of the bottle so the ratios may end up being a tad more leaner than that.

As I recall, during the R&D, they tested Saber all the way out to 200:1 without issue.

Thanks
smile.gif

Echo 58v the 4 AH battery charges from dead to full in 1 hour, the 2 AH battery full charge in 30 min. Mine was at 50% today put it on charge before mowing the grass 45 min later was all charged by time I was done mowing and ready for trimming.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fraser434
Echo 58v the 4 AH battery charges from dead to full in 1 hour, the 2 AH battery full charge in 30 min. Mine was at 50% today put it on charge before mowing the grass 45 min later was all charged by time I was done mowing and ready for trimming.

No doubt about it, that Echo cordless is some impressive stuff but at $269, that's nearly double what I paid for my gas powered.

Also, I prefer to do my trimming before mowing so that I can pick up the clippings. A dead or partially charged battery before mowing is/was an inconvenience for me.

I guess on the flip side, if you're not keeping a battery charged up, you're making trips to the pump to fill up a gas can. For me, monitoring and keeping fuel in a gas can is easier done than remembering to put a battery on the charger when in anticipation of mowing the lawn. Often times with work and family life, the yard work is accomplished when I can fit it in. If a battery isn't already charged up and ready to go, that's problematic for me.

I guess on the flip side, if you're not keeping a battery charged up, you're making trips to the pump to fill up a gas can. For me, monitoring and keeping fuel in a gas can is easier done than remembering to put a battery on the charger when in anticipation of mowing the lawn. Often times with work and family life, the yard work is accomplished when I can fit it in. If a battery isn't already charged up and ready to go, that's problematic for me.

The charger has got to be a smart one, so you could just leave the battery on it and the charger keeps it ready to go.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

The charger has got to be a smart one, so you could just leave the battery on it and the charger keeps it ready to go.

From the owners manuals:

Manual: Echo 58 Volt Lithium Ion Charger - Link

"- After charging is complete, the green LED will remain on
while the charger is in Energy Save Mode.

- Charger will periodically wake from Energy Save Mode to
ensure the battery pack remains in a fully charged state."

Manual: Echo 58 Volt Lithium Ion Battry pack- Link

"To obtain the longest possible battery life, we suggest the
following:

- Remove the battery pack from the charger once it is fully
charged and ready for use."

Hmm, interesting they made a dumb smart charger... Who knows, my Li-ion drill battery charger manual might say they same thing, but I just leave one battery on it all the time.

The owner's manuals for DeWalt tools also have you to remove the battery from the charger once it's charged, even though the charger is supposed to not over-charge it. I think this is pretty typical.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The owner's manuals for DeWalt tools also have you to remove the battery from the charger once it's charged, even though the charger is supposed to not over-charge it. I think this is pretty typical.

I found my manual online and I guess since rigid offers a lifetime warranty on the batteries they make their charging system idiot proof, no mention of taking the battery off the smart charger.

Personally, at a battery price of $139.00 (2Ah) or $169.00 (4Ah), I'd want maximum life out of my Echo 58-Volt Lithium-Ion Battery.

The batteries do have the same Echo 5-year consumer warranty, but after the 5-year mark is up and my batteries are in a continual state of degrading over time, I find myself at a crossroad. Drop $150 bucks on a new battery for my 5-plus year-old trimmer or buy a completely all new gas trimmer for around the same price.

The Echo gas trimmer I just purchased on sale for $149.99. How long will it last if I take good care of it; running premium ethanol-free fuel in it? 10-years, likely. 15-years, maybe? 20-years? Some have mentioned twenty in this thread, who knows?

That's why I say Lithium-Ion technology is great, but I don't think it's for everyone.

Maybe when my gas powered kicks the bucket, a battery powered will be more economical by then.

I guess if I think about it, my good gas OPE is on average ~20 years old. The good saw is 14, mower is 25, good brush cutter 20, tiller is maybe 40? Even my cheap saw is now 7-8, cheap rider mower is probably 10-15, my cheap-ish trimmer is only 2 though, but seems half decent.
OPE is one area I think where it does pay to spend atleast 2X what the walmart version goes for. Especially chainsaws as you can get multiples in productivity as well as life span.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back