Help me determine if my CVT fluid has been changed

Hello all, I'm starting to suspect my CVT fluid has never been changed, given the lack of oily residue around the drain plug.
This is a 2017 Honda Accord LX I bought in December 2019.
The Carfax shows "transmission serviced" by a Honda dealer on 2/8/2019 at 32,000 miles. My local dealer told me this means a drain and fill was performed.
Is it possible this was done and no oil was left behind on any surfaces?
On a side note, yes, there's a lot of corrosion. This car is in Texas now, but it spent its first three years in New Jersey near the coast.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I can't tell by the photo but does the crush washer look less corroded than the bolt? From just looking there's no way to tell they might have cleaned the area really well with brake cleaner or something, they may have used a fluid extractor in filler or exchanged fluid through a coolant line or something.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
I can't tell by the photo but does the crush washer look less corroded than the bolt? From just looking there's no way to tell they might have cleaned the area really well with brake cleaner or something, they may have used a fluid extractor in filler or exchanged fluid through a coolant line or something.

Hmm, interesting, the washer does appear to be less corroded than the bolt.

Around 30 K miles is when it should have been done. The listing at 32 K is close enough to suspect that it really was done.

BTW a drain and fill only replaces about (almost exactly in this case) 1/2 of the fluid with new fluid and that new fluid does mix with the old that remained in it is short order when the vehicle is used after the fill. But that is the service Honda recommends and their CVT tranys seam to last a long time from all the info on the different Honda forums.

Amsoil has a web-site that list the amount of fluid to fill a CVT when new and dry with never having had fluid in it, and also how much it takes to fill them when doing a drain and fill, and the drain and fill is almost exactly 1/2 of what it takes to fill a new dry unit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I currently have 47k miles and was planning on changing it at 60k. Now that I have doubts about the initial service, I'll go ahead and change it next weekend. Should be an easy DIY job for me. I'll use Honda brand HCF-2 fluid.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA

Amsoil has a web-site that list the amount of fluid to fill a CVT when new and dry with never having had fluid in it, and also how much it takes to fill them when doing a drain and fill, and the drain and fill is almost exactly 1/2 of what it takes to fill a new dry unit.

You have a link for that page that lists how many quarts a drain and refill requires?

I always measure drained oil, so I refill the same; that service could have been done there is no you can tell just by looking at the picture

id also before you do the service use your clean the engine oil dipstick and insert in the transmission pipe so you can examine the fluid closely

that's mine that has been changed at 30K interval

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

while the accord has that plastic shield
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I've done 3 drain and fills on my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder's CVT and you'd never know it by looking at the drain plug and pan.

Last edited:
I don't see any cam-out marks on the plug. Usually see that on a square-drive plug. Look for that evidence.

Have had a Nissan CVT, driven like a rented mule and worse for 60K miles and had no failure

Do the D&F at Ambient temp and measure and put back what came out.

This stuff expand s like crazy when hot. My Nissan sump went from off the bottom of the dip stick to an inch over full (!) on a 40 minute commute to work.

And termp guns may not work due to emissivity of differing material and finishes.

No Need for Honda CVT fluid They dont make this fluid, . They use a relabeled standard pusher shim stack "belt" rated fluid like most manufacturers.

7 bucks for a quart at Walmart for Valvoline CVT Fluid.

The Magic is in the friction modifiers and anti-foamants,

- Ken

Just get the oil changed then you will know. Is that an east coast vehicle or do you live at the coast.

Originally Posted by CT8
Just get the oil changed then you will know. Is that an east coast vehicle or do you live at the coast.

from OP first post
" ....This car is in Texas now, but it spent its first three years in New Jersey near the coast....."

I'm in NH, I don't think mine even look this bad with tons of road salt and slushy roads in the winter.

But the cars don't get into a heated garage that will make the corrosion WORSE.

Last edited:
If a proper job was done (which involves cleaning away any oil residue), there should be no evidence left behind.

I've done 3 drain and fills on my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder's CVT and you'd never know it by looking at the drain plug and pan.
That's the secret to keeping Nissan CVT's going. Just drain and fill. I just ignore the manual which had no information on intervals and capacities! I switched to Valvoline CVT fluid in order to be change more often every 3 yrs or 30k miles. This one is past 212k miles this year.

Back