Help me decipher this Wix data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Patman, when you E-mail the guy back, can you ask him if the wix filters sold at Carquest are the same as the napa gold filters? I have a napa store right down the street, and I could go there and pick up one of the gold filters. Might be better than the Bosch premiums I am using now.

Thanks
Nailz

I'm almost 100% sure the NAPA Golds are identical to the Wix premium filters. As a matter of fact, I went into NAPA tonight and asked for Wix premiums and they gave me two NAPA golds (for the Hondas) and two NAPA Professionals (for my mom's Probe) I hope the NAPA Professionals are the same. I'm using one of them for the Auto-rx treatment though so it won't be on long.

I'm going to email him on Monday and find out more specs though just to be sure.

From now on I will go to Carquest. They closed tonight before I got there, which is why I went to NAPA, but the price on the NAPA Golds was much higher! I paid $12.77 for the ones for the Honda (which were $9.57 at Carquest for Wix premium) and the ones for the Probe were $15.09!
shocked.gif
Stupid me didn't ask the price, I just pulled out the credit card and paid. I was too busy checking out the oil filter cutaway display they had!
smile.gif

When I got home I pulled out my AC Delco PF1127 filter (for the Honda) and compared it to the NAPA Gold. These filters are obviously made in the same plant as the canisters are identical, the bypass valve is the same, and the gasket and top end section have all the same materials and markings. The antidrainback valve on the NAPA Gold looks different though (silicone, while the AC Delco is probably nitrile) and maybe it's my imagination but the NAPA Gold feels heavier by a slight bit.

The real test was when my 15 month old son spotted the filters. I asked him what he thought of them and he threw the NAPA Professional one on my wife's foot, and then tried to eat the NAPA Gold. So that's his opinion on them.
smile.gif

Patman, why the rush to Wix, when you've just recently been extoling the virtues of K&N?

Patman,

I looked up the Napa gold filter for my Hyundai Elantra, and it is only $6.49 I pretty decent deal I guess, but I still have 2 Bosch Premiums left from when I got them on sale at autozone for $4.99. They seem to be excellent made filters so I am in no hurry to get into something else. I will however be trying a Napa Gold after the Bosch filters are gone.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I phoned Carquest just now and he quoted me a price of $9.57 for the first line Wix filter and $5.80 for the second line Wix filter.

This is something you guys have to be careful of. Make sure you get the first line filter! This is what I was told by the Dana representitive, I guess the first line is the better filter. So you want to make sure you're indeed getting the better filter. I will email Dana again to see if I can get the details on the first line/second line differences.

How do you decipher the two filters? First line vs. second line? Different part numbers, filter casing colors?

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
Patman, why the rush to Wix, when you've just recently been extoling the virtues of K&N?

I'm still going to use the K&N on my own car and on my wife's car, I'm going to use these Wix filters on my sister's car and my mom's car.

I'm also preparing myself in case Canadian Tire stops selling the K&Ns up here, as I've noticed a lot of stores stock is dwindling and not being replenished.

I do believe the K&N is the better constructed filter, but I never could get the K&N for my mom's Probe GT from Canadian Tire, which got me on the search for something else.

quote:

Originally posted by BrewCityR:

quote:

I phoned Carquest just now and he quoted me a price of $9.57 for the first line Wix filter and $5.80 for the second line Wix filter.

This is something you guys have to be careful of. Make sure you get the first line filter! This is what I was told by the Dana representitive, I guess the first line is the better filter. So you want to make sure you're indeed getting the better filter. I will email Dana again to see if I can get the details on the first line/second line differences.

How do you decipher the two filters? First line vs. second line? Different part numbers, filter casing colors?

I believe the first line ones say premium on them. I will find out today for sure, as I'm going to Carquest at noon hour and am going to ask for one Wix premium for the Honda and one for the Probe. While I'm there I'll ask to see the second line filter too.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by BrewCityR:

quote:

I believe the first line ones say premium on them. I will find out today for sure, as I'm going to Carquest at noon hour and am going to ask for one Wix premium for the Honda and one for the Probe. While I'm there I'll ask to see the second line filter too.

This "first line" and "second line" stuff doesn't make any sense. If you go to the Wix web site and use their filter look up tool, you'll only find one part number for any given filter you look up. And there is no mention on the site of a "premium" line vs a "standard" line.

There is a Napa Gold line of filters and a Napa Silver line of filters. They are both Wix filters. The company my son works for uses the Napa Silver line where ever possible and has had good results. They farm over 2,000 acres of permanent plantings and have lots of expensive equipment. The Napa Silver line cost about 1/3 to 1/2 of the Napa Gold filters. For what little need I have of new filters, I use the Napa Gold.

Perhaps it's different here in Canada. I suspect in the US there is only one line, and that's just plain Wix, and it's equivalent to the first line stuff here, or premium.

I went to Carquest, and there they have Carquest premium and Bravo (which is second line) On the premium it says made in Canada by Wix, and the Honda filter I bought there today is identical to the NAPA Gold one I bought yesterday (except it's cheaper at $9.57!) The problem is with the Probe filter. I got hosed yesterday! The one I bought today was only $11.44, plus it is definitely the premium filter. The ones I bought yesterday were probably second lines, the antidrainback valve is definitely not silicone. I'm really not sure about either of the Probe filters though, as they don't say Wix on them, they say made in USA.
dunno.gif

Patman,

thanks for posting all that data on the Wix filters. I also checked out your website. I like your taste in cars! Both your Firebirds and your 'Stang look to be kick @ss cars!

If the Dana rep wouldn't give out the data on the AC/Delco's, perhaps the AC/Delco of Canada would? I would really like to compare the two to see how they differ.

I wish I could've kept all those cars I've owned!

As far as getting AC Delco to give out specs, it's probably not gonna happen. I was emailing back and forth for months with a tech rep at AC Delco and he couldn't give me much info. He did send me a bunch of stuff in the mail but it didn't really give me much info on flow ratings. It was more technical such as how they cut the threads on the filters, and stuff like that. I don't know why these guys like to keep it such a secret.

It is my guess that the AC Delco filters here are a lot like those value filters built by Wix. They are decent quality but not top of the line by any means. I can't see them using the fibreglass media and silicone antidrainback in a $3 to $5 filter. So they use nitrile ADBV and a mostly paper media.

For the price AC/Delco's sell for, I guess you are right; the AC/Delco's likely won't compare. I have seen a cutaway of an AC/Delco a while ago, and it looked like paper media to me. Thanks again for all the great info. I am going to see if I can find some Wix filters locally, but until then my AC/Delco's will be okay.

BTW, what track do you run your cars on? We don't have any tracks around here, but if it's in the TO area, that's not a long drive for me.

To find Wix filters, do a Google search for Carquest locations. There are literally hundreds of them in Canada.

I drag race mostly at St.Thomas (just outside of London) but this year I will do a lot of racing at TMP (which used to be Cayuga, it's located just north of Hamilton)

Hey guys I do have a question regarding the Carquest/Wix/Napa Gold filters wrt the flow numbers. K&N claims 12-16gpm, the Purolator is 12-14 and the Wix filter is around 8-10gpm or 7-9 per that email from Wayne Smith. My question is which is better? Does the higher number mean that the filter will go into bypass less often under full load? I'm asking because my Prelude engine sees 5-8K rpm everyday. I also do race at lapping days and auto-x where the car is ALWAYS at high rpms/VTEC. So I'm looking for good filtration but also for great performance under extreme loads. Any answers/advice is greatly appreciated.

Kudos to Pat for the legwork for us Canadian people, I hope you don't mind that I summarized your findings and posted them on the Prelude Club board.

I also read somewhere else that a filter that doesn't go into bypass often may not necessairly be good for the engine because it lets the oil pressure drop too much before it opens up again.. I'm confused now..
frown.gif
banghead.gif

Assume your engine's mfgr specs a filter with a bypass valve that opens at 8-11 psid. Now you install an otherwise identical filter with a 18-22psid valve. With cold oil or in high-flow situations, it will resist and reduce flow compared to the stock spec filter, and according to logic would inhibit lubrication and could increase wear.

Filter flow and pressure drop also apply. If the new filter is 3 times the size and has less restrictive media then the higher bypass may not present a problem except at very cold temps.

Until you're comfortable picking differences, stick with filters using the same valve specs.

David

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:

Kudos to Pat for the legwork for us Canadian people, I hope you don't mind that I summarized your findings and posted them on the Prelude Club board.

No problem!

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
Hey guys I do have a question regarding the Carquest/Wix/Napa Gold filters wrt the flow numbers. K&N claims 12-16gpm, the Purolator is 12-14 and the Wix filter is around 8-10gpm or 7-9 per that email from Wayne Smith. My question is which is better? Does the higher number mean that the filter will go into bypass less often under full load? I'm asking because my Prelude engine sees 5-8K rpm everyday. I also do race at lapping days and auto-x where the car is ALWAYS at high rpms/VTEC. So I'm looking for good filtration but also for great performance under extreme loads. Any answers/advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm in the same boat. Integra Type R solely used for road course lapping days (HPDEs) and have plans to use Mobil1 filters. Although currently I have a K&N KN-1005 on my ITR which is stored for winter. Anywho, I have a dozen M1-104s but plan to purchase about a dozen M1-105s and use those. Hopefully the larger 105 will not restrict flow but I may try and switch back to K&N or possibly try Wix due to flow ratings.

Hmm.. so the question is, what is the rating of the OEM Honda filter for gpm? I find it a little disturbing/curious that Honda uses the same filter across most of the cars in its present line up including Civics, NSX and Acuras.. I can't believe that all these cars have the same oil pump ratings and PSI needs?
dunno.gif
What does that say about this OEM "magic"
rolleyes.gif
oil filter that is produced for all these different engines?
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back