Help Me Decide On Tires

BFG All Terrains would beef that thing up and offer you the white letters you crave. I know they get noisy when they are worn, like many tires, but I loved them on my Raptor and would think they’d wear well on something as light as an Escape. They aren’t the cheapest though. I also have had multiple sets of Michelin Defenders and they were awesome all around but we probably get less snow than you.

Kumho crugen HT51 is an excellent tire. Similar to the Michelin. Have them on my old Forester. Outstanding winter traction for an all season with 12.5/32” tread depth to start. 75,000 tire I think. No complaints.

Totally agree that the Conti's are horrible. They are horrible all the back to the Mid 2000's. The late wife's Escape AWD V6 had the Conti Ecos. Extremely noisy, hard as a rock and downright scary on wet roads. I probably have these coming on my Maverick. I will request the dealer to switch me to some different tires or my first stop will be at Discount Tire to get some 3 peak tires or some AT's.
Conti's that were factory tires were always horrible because they had to meet the factory specs which was more about gas mileage than traction. The aftermarket Conti tires are good. I had the same problem with them on a Ford Taurus, skidded out on me in the rain. I just rid of them afterwards even though they had plenty of tread left.

Well I feel on a 4WD it’s best to have all of them matching. The ones that are on it I believe said 12/32 was new so they are somewhat worn but not too much.
Is the AWD, I don't think it's 4WD, on the Escape very sensitive to differences in tire circumference? What does the manual say? If circumference needs to be about the same, why didn't you rotate the tires more frequently for more even tread wear? You expect to see some pretty good snow and probably slush. I would probably get snow tires for the cold season. One set will last several cold seasons.

Is the AWD, I don't think it's 4WD, on the Escape very sensitive to differences in tire circumference? What does the manual say? If circumference needs to be about the same, why didn't you rotate the tires more frequently for more even tread wear? You expect to see some pretty good snow and probably slush. I would probably get snow tires for the cold season. One set will last several cold seasons.
It says 4WD on the back so not sure possibly AWD labeled as 4WD. Not sure on the sensitivity of the tire circumference either because last year we didn’t need to use it because no snow. The tires weren’t rotated because when I purchased it last September the backs were brand new and the fronts were worn a bit so I didn’t rotate. I would have to find rims for winter tires but that isn’t a bad idea. We actually might have some takeoffs that could fit it at work or something.

I'd opt for the Michelin, we had them on our Expedition and Explorer and they were fantastic (the previous version, the LTX M/S and then the M/S2).
So the LTX/MS was discontinued? I know they are good 14 years later on our van and still not dry rotted or cracked. I told my dad about replacing them with age but he got angry about that lol. I’m definitely considering Michelin though as we have always had good luck with them. On our Camry we used to drive them till the sparks were flying from the cords on the edges LOL. As long as they have white letters still I will consider them with my discount it should not be as bad as what I’m seeing online.

2 tires I've had on my f250. Cooper ht3, wear like iron but are not the best in rain, never used them in snow. Michelin defender ltx, also wear very good, much better in the rain. Not a big fan of them in the snow. Might be because it's a pickup or something else. Other people report better performance in the snow than I do so that's fwiw.

So the LTX/MS was discontinued? I know they are good 14 years later on our van and still not dry rotted or cracked. I told my dad about replacing them with age but he got angry about that lol. I’m definitely considering Michelin though as we have always had good luck with them. On our Camry we used to drive them till the sparks were flying from the cords on the edges LOL. As long as they have white letters still I will consider them with my discount it should not be as bad as what I’m seeing online.

The LTX M/S was superseded by the LTX M/S2, which was then superseded by the Defender LTX M/S. That's the evolution of that family of tire, so the Defender LTX M/S is the "current" version of that tire.

Whatever's got the hardest to pronounce Chinese name on it and smells the worst. Get it.

Jokes aside choosing street tires is a bit hard. I usually get whatever is rated to last the longest and I typically do get over 50k out of tires. Even chinese tires like at walmart are perfectly fine and safe. I just wouldn't put them on a truck id pack mule daily. Considering tire fees Id rather spend a bit more anyway.

Put the Cooper Evolution on our Tahoe early in the year based on feedback and mileage predictions from this site. My wife and I agree they ride better than the factory Michelin tires that were starting to chip at 45K.
Excellent in the rain.

If you can find a set of General Grabber HTS I would go with them. My tire dealer recommended them to my daughter. Moderately priced and four years later in good shape. Excellent snow traction and quiet.
And also I consider some of the Continental tires to be better than Michelin. Used Michelin for years. Done with them due to treadwear problems and cracking. Using Continentals and they are blowing Michelin out of the water. I have been using them now for years on My Hyundai SUV's and absolutely love them. Very quiet, excellent traction, long tread life and very agile. The Conti Tracs not so good but the ones I have are outstanding. Can't remember the model but I could look them up if you want.

That’s good to know. Looks like I’ll probably be avoiding those now.
Pretty narrow view like many on this site. Firstly I have never had issues with GY … But more importantly- have certainly seen the smaller companies improve larger companies in several mergers …
Cooper almost became an Indian company … They were “available “ …
No need to jump to conclusions early in M&A cycles …

Pretty narrow view like many on this site. Firstly I have never had issues with GY … But more importantly- have certainly seen the smaller companies improve larger companies in several mergers …
Cooper almost became an Indian company … They were “available “ …
No need to jump to conclusions early in M&A cycles …
Well I don’t avoid them for issues. I like the Goodyear Wrangler tires just won’t buy them anymore. If it was any of there other tires I’d really have to read about them.

Back