Help Me Decide On Tires

Don't even consider the ContiTracs in the Roanoke Valley/NRV region unless you plan to park the Escape from December to March of each year. I had them on my Ford Ranger and they were the worst tires I have owned in over 40 years when it came to wet traction, snow/ice traction, wet braking and ride comfort. The only positive attribute they had was treadwear, but they rode hard like they were made of concrete. I'd suggest the Cooper AT3 (4S) in a P-metric rating if you are looking for a good all-terrain tire that has decent ride qualities for a daily driver.

Cooper AT3 -4S
That’s good information to know. I live in Roanoke and work in NRV so that’s important. Especially with how the rain gets at the bottom of Christainsburg Mtn when you are coming down as I go 460. The other day I came thru there and had to slow down a ton to avoid fishtailing. I will definitely give those a look too. They look like a great tire.

I'd just get 2 new tires. It isn't a full time AWD system, it only sends power to the rear wheels when the fronts are slipping, so suffering treaded tires shouldn't matter.

Unless you think you could sell the 2 used ones for a decent price.

But I vote for General Altimax RT43 like Passport1

Suggest start looking for a set of snow tires, mounted and balance on steel rims from craigslist or other outlet, might be slightly used but can be a bargain, I've gotten from $200 to $475 for mine, only got 1 set that was a little less desirable but included the steel rims, of course I asked/got a little discount on that set. Than passively look for something that would match what you need for summer tires, either 2 or 4 depending on what's left in the budget. Nothing beats having real snow tires for winter, and not having the air leaks alloy rims seem to get during the winter.

Tires were so rotten on my new winter beater, I got a set of 2 all season junk yard tires 225/70/16 $65 plus $65 to mount and balance, date code was 2020, I needed them immediately, originals were worn to the steel belts, and then I splurged $245 for 2 Champiro Snow tires from Discount Tire. 2012 Kia Sedona, plan is to rotate them front to back as the seasons change, and it won't get much summer driving, and mostly 15 minutes to/from work for winter. Thing to be aware of is especially when you have wide flat tires is the rear will swing around if you try to stop quick, I don't thing the all season will be as bad as the stock tires I learned this on a Toyota Matrix, and I drive controlled most all the time unless there is no other traffic, then I might push some limits, mostly to burn carbon or test traction, not that the thrill is gone, my vehicles might have to last a long time.

My buddy says to me if you want good tires you gonna pay, I'm just a little more frugal but that's about all I'd want to spend and think I'm doing good enough. Sure I'd like the tires big money can get, but I'm more inclined to make that money resource stretch a little farther.

Disclaimer: Last year I bought 4 new General Altimax Arctics for the 2005 Camry, but I don't like using that for I just can't bear it rusting out before nearing 1 million miles. It's being regulated to back-up winter duties for now, and I've already spent the $50 rebate.

I'd just get 2 new tires. It isn't a full time AWD system, it only sends power to the rear wheels when the fronts are slipping, so suffering treaded tires shouldn't matter.

Unless you think you could sell the 2 used ones for a decent price.

But I vote for General Altimax RT43 like Passport1
Weird autocorrect.

Suffering=differing

Although that’s weird too :ROFLMAO:

Yep sometimes we get a large amount of snow here so that is definitely something I need in case. And traveling 30 miles to work on country roads it’s definitely important.
Snow performance starts to get worse when you're down to 5/32 or less. Rain is 4/32. So definitely get rid of those front two. But you could stick the rear tires on the front and put the new tires on the rear. Or in your case, maybe keep the new tires on the front until the snow starts and then rotate them, the tires with the most tread are supposed to be on the rear so you don't fishtail as easily. If you keep the the two good tires, I'd stick with the same brand.

Don't even consider the ContiTracs in the Roanoke Valley/NRV region unless you plan to park the Escape from December to March of each year. I had them on my Ford Ranger and they were the worst tires I have owned in over 40 years when it came to wet traction, snow/ice traction, wet braking and ride comfort. The only positive attributes they had were long treadwear and low-rolling resistance, but they rode hard like they were made of concrete. I'd suggest the Cooper AT3 (4S) in a P-metric rating if you are looking for a good all-terrain tire that has decent ride qualities for a daily driver.

Cooper AT3 -4S
X2 on AT3.

Hello everyone,

My 2008 Ford Escape will need tires soon. At least front tires as they have 2/32 the rears have 8/32. They were replaced at different times by my aunt. I need something that is a P235/70R16.

I was looking at many different ones online. Trying to decide what ones will be best or if I should keep the same ones as what is on it now. I’d like to go ahead and replace all four and keep the two rear tires as extras.

Currently I’ve got Cooper Evolution on them. This is the first set I will have to put on it. This is the only experience I have with Cooper Tires so that is why I’m asking. So far the tires have been good but I’ve owned it less than a year so don’t know how they do in the long run and we didn’t really have a winter last year so didn’t get to test them in the snow. And with me traveling 30 miles each way to work on mainly country roads I definitely need a good tire for snow in case we do get any.

I also prefer if they have white lettering though it’s not a requirement.

Here is what I’m thinking on and want to hear your thoughts and experiences if you have any.

Cooper Evolution H/T. Same tires as what is on them. A set of four is $544 without the discount I get from work.

Continental Contitrac. Which are the OE tires that it came with from the factory. They do have white lettering as well which puts them higher on the list for me. Reading reviews say they are very noisy but if anyone has experience with them I’d love to hear how they do for you and if they are noisy too. They go for $525.88 without my discount.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S. We have had many sets of these on other vehicles with great luck. They are great tires too. Also the most expensive but I know they last awhile. $732 for a set of four. I also seen a Michelin Premier LTX listed as well which is something I’ll consider as well but I don’t know much about those either.

I’m open to hearing other suggestions as well. I was reading it shows the Bridgestone Dueler is a pretty high rated tire for all seasons but I don’t have any experience with those. Read the same about the General Grabber as well. At work we use ATD for our tires, if it is something I can’t get through them I’m still open to hearing it too.

I know we sell a absolute ton of Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires as well but didn’t see those listed in this size so would like to hear about those if anyone has used them and if they are available in the size.

Thanks.
Replace all 4 tires, I really like these - Pirelli Scorpion Verde All
Season II. Excellent in the snow and wet conditions.

Got a set of Altimax RT43's on my Ranger; don't seem the darn things will ever wear out! Somewhere near 40K and lots of tread left. I'd put a set on my MB to get a more comfortable ride, but gravel from my drive sure does stick in the tread.

When I was at the dealership our top seller for Escapes that bodystyle was the General HTS60. Very good tore in the mid tier price range.

The Michelin Defender is great. Probably the best tire in that category. It is priced accordingly. Is the performance difference between the General and the Michelin worth the price difference? IMO no, you may think differently though.

I don’t recommend Cooper tires for anyone or anything. I’m sure they still make some very good tires but I’ve seen enough of their bad ones that I just avoid them altogether.

New designed ( 2 years ? ) UNIROYAL Tiger Paw Touring A/S or RT43 . Both being rated H . Both reasonable price . Should see rebates in September .

I haven't heard anything good about those Uniroyal tires and they aren't cheap.
I am looking at Pirelli Cinturato, or Atlas Force which cost about 40 percent less.

On my 2006 Escape 4x4 same tire size I had really good luck with Kumho’s. I took a gamble with the first set as they were the cheapest I found, but they were actually really good and I ended up purchasing 3 sets before giving it to a family member with 185k miles.

The factory Conti’s were so bad I had to get rid of them at 30k for road noise, bad ride, poor traction.

Don't even consider the ContiTracs in the Roanoke Valley/NRV region unless you plan to park the Escape from December to March of each year. I had them on my Ford Ranger and they were the worst tires I have owned in over 40 years when it came to wet traction, snow/ice traction, wet braking and ride comfort. The only positive attributes they had were long treadwear and low-rolling resistance, but they rode hard like they were made of concrete. I'd suggest the Cooper AT3 (4S) in a P-metric rating if you are looking for a good all-terrain tire that has decent ride qualities for a daily driver.

Cooper AT3 -4S
Totally agree that the Conti's are horrible. They are horrible all the back to the Mid 2000's. The late wife's Escape AWD V6 had the Conti Ecos. Extremely noisy, hard as a rock and downright scary on wet roads. I probably have these coming on my Maverick. I will request the dealer to switch me to some different tires or my first stop will be at Discount Tire to get some 3 peak tires or some AT's.

Michelin, Cooper, General probably in that order. Although maybe a tie for second, it's close.
Skip Uniroyal and almost all GY tires. Assurance Comfortreads are decent.

Back