Help me decide: 2007 4runner oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
Newbie here and got a question. I have a 2007 4runner v6 2wd. It has 112k and I've put about 15k on it since I got it. I drive about 15-20 miles round trip to work each day (60/40 highway/street driving). Previous owner always used conventional. Last oci I used chevron supreme 5w30 that I bought from costco with a toyota oem oil filter. I live in southern California so I don't see much crazy weather.

I notice that the car consumes oil down to the halfway mark on my dipstick between full and add (which I assume is half a quart) during my 5k oci.

My questions are:

1. Should I stick to my current CS/oem filter? Or should I change it up? Suggestions?

2. Should I be concerned with my oil usage? I haven't heard many people complain of usage on this 4.0 engine so it makes me wonder if there's an underlying issue.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:
1/2 quart in 5K miles is considered in the normal range for consumption. Switching to a high mileage oil could *possibly* slow it down. Something like Valvoline Maxlife.

Toyota filters are fine. Fram TG/Ultra, CQ Blue, Napa Silver/Gold, all good alternatives if some of those have better access/pricing for you.

I'd do Maxlife 5w30 at 5k OCIs with oversized Fram Ultra filters every 15k miles.

I also might try M1 HM or PP HM at 7.5k OCI.

But ANY API oil at 5w30 would be just fine.

Thanks for the responses. I should add that it drops 1/2 quart about 3500 miles into my oci then stays stable if that makes any difference

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
When you are down one-half qt.,add a half qt. right a way.

Hi, Any specific reason? I was taught that as long as oil was between the add and full marks you are fine

I am liking the Mobil 5w30 High Mileage it is still an energy conserving oil unlike some other oils out there. Also in the past i had good luck with PHM

There's absolutely no need to run 5W-30 in California. You California people should be taking advantage of the warmer weather by running the more durable 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There's absolutely no need to run 5W-30 in California. You California people should be taking advantage of the warmer weather by running the more durable 10W-30.

Is there any harm in running 10w30 in an engine that is specd for 5w30? I know they are the same viscosity at operating temp but startups may be rough? There was a Toyota service bulletin that listed 5w30 and latest 5w20 as acceptable oils for my 4Runner but 10w30 was not listed.

Could you please elaborate on 10w30 being more durable? Thanks

Last edited:
I would stuck w what u are currently doing. And I would not be concerned about the little oil it consumes. Change the pcv

Did TSB update to 5w20 in that 1GR-FE? My wife has the same vehicle and I might move her from M1 HM 5w30 to Castrol Magnatec 5w20 if that's the case.

In the old days 10w30 was significantly more shear stable than 5w30, but now that isn't a significant issue anymore. And since it is spec'd to 5w20, it is fine if it shears anyway.

I'm currently in the market for a 4Runner in this generation, this conversation has sparked some thought on my end. I have 50 quarts of M1 0W20 EP in my stash for my Acura and '16 4Runner, what does Toyota say about using a 0W20 for the year 4Runner being discussed? It would be great to use 0W for these 3 vehicles.

Originally Posted By: jj51702
Could you please elaborate on 10w30 being more durable? Thanks

It has more base oil and less viscosity index improvers to wear out.

Try Pennzoil Platinum, I had oil consumption issues with Mobil 1 in my Tacoma's V6, and tried Pennzoil and now it doesn't burn a noticeable amount in 7500 intervals. I was almost down a quart of M1 every 3000 miles, I did some researching that brought me here and found the PP to be highly regarded so I gave it a whirl and was very pleased with the results. I'm a believer now! Pennzoil Platinum can also be had in high mileage formula as well, I don't use it despite having 110k miles, don't have a reason to now. No leaks, no consumption, no point in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back