Help me choose right oil for my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys, first sorry about my writting.

cars:
05 S2000 65k ( Valvoline, pennzoil and amsoil )
03 4runner 110k ( any dino oil )

Service manual recommand
S2000: 5w40/10w30
4runner: 5w30/10w?(30 or 40...)

Driving style:
S2000: most of times it stays in garage, no track time but i do drive hard when i bring it out. ( 2~3 times a week )
4runner: my working car since last summer. I drive a lot...everyday and most of days easily 200+ milies a day (7days).

Now i like to use syn on both of my cars, it will be a lot easier for me to do oil change and also i think it would be nice to using syn on my 4runner. Ok, i did a lot research on this forum... 4runner/s2000 forums as well. But since i'm new to oil, i like to get an advice from you guys.

Here is list that i "think" it would be perfect for using both of cars.

For 5w40,
-RTS T6
-Castrol
-Mobil 1 TDT

For 5w30,
-Castrol syntec

I've read pennzoil that has CF-5 and i do not sure if it is worthy.
coffee2.gif

Thanks guys!!!!

Regarding the 4runner: Are you comfortable with extended drains? 200 clicks a day every day is over 5000 per month!

You're a prime candidate for Amsoil's 25K synthetics (SSO, ASL)
Is that the V6 4Runner with the oil filter on top of the engine bay?

For 4runner, since i drive a lot and everyday, i like to keep oil change at 3k~5k.
smile.gif

Yeah, oil filter is on top. I tried amsoil on my S2k for first time, i like how it feels. But on 4runner...i don't know, i rather use fresh motor oil after 3k~5k.

Couple more newbie questions...
1. I have about half bottle(qt) amsoil 5w30 in my garage, can i use that in other synt motor oil?
2. what's OCI?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: s2krunner
For 4runner, since i drive a lot and everyday, i like to keep oil change at 3k~5k.
smile.gif

Yeah, oil filter is on top. I tried amsoil on my S2k for first time, i like how it feels. But on 4runner...i don't know, i rather use fresh motor oil after 3k~5k.

Couple more newbie questions...
1. I have about half bottle(qt) amsoil 5w30 in my garage, can i use that in other synt motor oil? Yes, no worries.
2. what's OCI? Oil Change Interval.

Thanks!

IMHO, your 4Runner is a prime candidate for a synthetic oil and a long OCI if your driving that much unless it's towing a huge landscape trailer on a route (or similar with a heavy load and lots of temp cycles).

I'm running Eneos 5w-40 in my 4Runner now and loving it. Up next is the T6. I swear it runs better than ever on the 5w-40.

I am making this next statement up but I can think of no other explanation. The 4Runner is running better than ever and I think that maybe the VVTi likes the 5w-40. The throttle response is better and more linear almost like the VVTi is reacting better/faster to cues. It's an oil actuated system that's why I've "latched on" to that as a hypotheses. I have no appreciable change in MPG or full-throttle power, if there is it's so minor my butt-o-meter can't detect it. It is nicer to drive though due to the response of the throttle.

FWIW- I am up to 4500mi on the 5w-40. At 6k I'll take it out and send a sample to Blackstone.

Last edited:
Thanks. No towing or anything. Once a week, i carry drink soda cases but that's not that heavy.

Originally Posted By: H25B
s2krunner said:
I'm running Eneos 5w-40 in my 4Runner now and loving it. Up next is the T6. I swear it runs better than ever on the 5w-40.

Glad to read about 5w40. When you switch to 5w40, did you notice any dff with valve thick noisy?

Originally Posted By: s2krunner
Glad to read about 5w40. When you switch to 5w40, did you notice any dff with valve thick noisy?

These are mechanically noisy engines. Some of it is truly "mechanical" and the other part of the noise comes from thin walled exhaust manifolds, vacuum switching valves (VSV) for the evap recovery system and there's some minor injector noise thrown in there. Most 1GRFE's don't have significant valvetrain noise. The shim-under-bucket, mechanical valve lifters are pretty quiet. The VSV's make some noise that sounds very similar to a valve tick, particularly at a hot idle/just off of idle.

Having given that disclaimer the answer is definitely! Overall the engine is appreciably quieter in all circumstances. Is it Lexus V8/Infiniti G-series V6 quiet? No. It was designed as a pick-up truck motor and thus some of NVH engineering was left out. Is it quieter/nicer with the 5w-40? Absolutely. You will like it:)

Last edited:
Thanks for good good info!!!

Question, what about GC 0w30? I've read there are many S2000 guys are happy with GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back