Help me choose the right oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, this is my first post but I have been a lurker for quite a while.
I was wondering if you all would be so kind as to help me choose oils for a ride I just picked up a month ago.
Right now I am in South China near the city of Guangzhou (about 70 miles north of Hong Kong). The climate here is tropical, although it has got down to around 33F this year a couple of times(rare) but summers are sweltering and humid. The land is semi-mountainous-- its not the Rockies, but I would compare it to the North Alabama mountains.
The car is a French made 1998 Citroen ZX with a 1.6i 4cly engine and a 5-spd tranny; weighs 2200lbs. The car has about 120000 miles on it, I am unsure if the engine and trans are original, but I would think so. The engine has no oil leaks that I can find and does not seem to use any oil. The owner's manual recommends 5w-40 oil. I am unsure about its previous history.
This car is not really a daily driver, but more of a toy. I drive HARD, I often red-line it, drive extended periods of time at speeds over 100mph ect. That being said, this car is no race car as it only has around 89hp and a top speed of 115mph (which I hit all the time).
I can find most oils over here (except pennzoil. yet), but I am limited on the weights available. What oil from the engine/trans would you recommend? I am considering the following:
Mobil 1 10w-40 HM, Mobil 1 15w-50.
Valvoline Conventional 10w-40, Valvoline Maxlife 10-40, Valvoline Super Syn 5w-40.
Havoline Conventional 10w-40, Havoline Syn blend 10w-40, Havoline Syn 5w-40.
K&N Oil Filter.
I intend to change the oil ever 3-4K miles.
As for the trans, I am unsure and would like some suggestions.

Thanks all.

I'd use one of the 5W-40 oils you have listed and call it a day, and I'd use 5k OCIs.

As for gear oil, not sure. What does the owner's manual say about it?

Can you get Amsoil products in China? They make great tranny fluids/gear oils.

Welcome to bitog
smile.gif

Thanks for the reply. I can get Amsoil here, but I was worried about it causing oil leaks due to the high mileage of the engine. Im also worried that the previous owner just used whatever cheap Chinese trash oil before, as a lot of people here do, so there could be a sludge issue.
I guess I should have also added in my OP that I drive hard in a closed industrial area, not on the public roads, although the public roads here do resemble the brickyard 500 in a way...
Back in the States I have a 13 second turbo Dodge Caravan, I always ran Mobil 1 15w-50 in it, but im considering switching after reading a few posts on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back