Help Me Choose Between These 4 Filters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NWCoaster
If you follow the mathematical formula for calculating Beta ratios, the Beta particle size is always expressed to the left of the equals sign, I don't want to argue, that's just how it is. Plug the numbers into the formula, there really is no wiggle room to debate.

WIX made up their own beta ratio expression format. Call them ... I gave contact info above.

This is right off their site...... looks like a standard format to me.

Beta Ratio: 2/20=12/25
smile.gif

smile.gif

It's not the standard format. The WIX beta ratio format has been discussed 100 times over the last 5 years.

This is how WIX does it - for Beta Ratio: 2/20=12/25 ... means:

50% (Beta 2) @ 12 microns
95% (Beta 20) @ 25 microns

Red goes with red, and blue goes with blue.

smile.gif

The Wix website says the beta ratio for the XP filter is B2 = 20, which according to Wix means 50% at 20 microns. Wix even confirmed this over the phone, not that any confirmation was needed anyway. This has been discussed on this forum for a long time, so this is nothing new.

What gets me is, if the WIX filter is at 50%, and people know this, then why do they continue to use/buy them? I mean, if a car salesman were only to sell you a car with 2 tires on it, would you buy it? Or, am I making the wrong analogy here?
21.gif

Someone said an easy way to figure beta ratio is subtract one from the number, then divide by the number. 2-1=1, 1/2= 50% at whatever micron it's referring to. 19-1=18 18/19= 94.7%, 20-1=19 19/20= 95%.
Don't see any discrepancy from standard in the way Wix states their efficiency.

Napa Gold with every oil change, Why risk flushing clean oil through a dirty filter? I just changed my friends 2016 Civic synthetic oil after 6400 miles with a Honda filter and when I poured the old oil into a container through a paper auto paint filter I found grit and a few metal shavings. The A2 filter is made by Honeywell which is Fram. I realize the Fram Ultra isnt the same filter as the Honda A2 but if you dont trust the Mobil 1 for 15K, why trust the Ultra filter for 15K? I always use Toyota filters and never found solid sediments in my old oil.

If you follow the mathematical formula for calculating Beta ratios, the Beta particle size is always expressed to the left of the equals sign, I don't want to argue, that's just how it is. Plug the numbers into the formula, there really is no wiggle room to debate.

There's nothing to argue about. Wix has already stated themselves they don't use the normal convention. And, take a look at the entire beta ratio set they provide for each filter, and convert it using the standard convention, and you'll see it won't make sense.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Someone said an easy way to figure beta ratio is subtract one from the number, then divide by the number. 2-1=1, 1/2= 50% at whatever micron it's referring to. 19-1=18 18/19= 94.7%, 20-1=19 19/20= 95%.
Don't see any discrepancy from standard in the way Wix states their efficiency.

The "industry standard" is to state 95% efficiency at 2 microns as B2=20.

Of course, that doesn't make much sense here as I've never seen a normal road car oil filter with that high an efficiency.

So if "industry standard" shows B2=20 if means 95% @ 2 microns.

If WIX states B2=20 it means 50% @ 20 microns.

Doesn't make sense to me that an international filter manufacturer would stray from a standardized filter rating system, sorry, I just don't buy it. The red to red , blue to blue thing just doesn't make any sense either with the equal sign in between.
crazy.gif

Doesn't make sense to me that an international filter manufacturer would stray from a standardized filter rating system, sorry, I just don't buy it. The red to red , blue to blue thing just doesn't make any sense either with the equal sign in between.
crazy.gif

Call WIX if you don't believe us here.

http://www.wixfilters.com/ContactUS.aspx

Product Information:
USA: 1-800-949-6698
CANADA: 1-800-567-3703
MEXICO: 1-800-838-4204

Originally Posted By: Garak

There's nothing to argue about. Wix has already stated themselves they don't use the normal convention. And, take a look at the entire beta ratio set they provide for each filter, and convert it using the standard convention, and you'll see it won't make sense.

I agree Garak ... Wix has confirmed the efficiency of their filters over the phone, and anyone can call Wix to confirm the same thing that ZeeOSix and others have stated on here. So, there is no way to argue with what comes straight from Wix.

It took me a while to understand what the complaint was against Wix beta formatting. It seems clear to adapt to their format, as otherwise the numbers make no sense. If they can make a 2 micron 95% efficiency full flow auto oil filter that flows enough, they are going to take the market. But they don't have it.

Mobil-1, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Fram - which filter has the smallest resistance to the flow?

I compare non-original filters instead of original Subaru filter 15208-AA130 (the largest of the filters Subaru).
Filters Mobil1 M1-104, Amsoil EA15K20, Royal Purple 10-2808, FRAM XG3593A (and XG9688) have the same structure of the bypass valve (and pressure 11-17psi).

Which of them has the smallest resistance to the flow (and the later opening of the bypass valve)?

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
I agree Garak ... Wix has confirmed the efficiency of their filters over the phone, and anyone can call Wix to confirm the same thing that ZeeOSix and others have stated on here. So, there is no way to argue with what comes straight from Wix.

Pretty much. I don't like how they do it either, and say it's not according to standards. But, me disliking something or disagreeing with how they do something doesn't automatically make them change their procedures, so I have to live with it.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
napa gold all the way!

Napa has 50%@20u. LOL

FRAM or RP (Amsoil): Which of them has the smallest resistance to the flow (and the later opening of the bypass valve)?

Originally Posted By: larG
Napa Gold with every oil change, Why risk flushing clean oil through a dirty filter? I just changed my friends 2016 Civic synthetic oil after 6400 miles with a Honda filter and when I poured the old oil into a container through a paper auto paint filter I found grit and a few metal shavings. The A2 filter is made by Honeywell which is Fram. I realize the Fram Ultra isnt the same filter as the Honda A2 but if you dont trust the Mobil 1 for 15K, why trust the Ultra filter for 15K? I always use Toyota filters and never found solid sediments in my old oil.

If this was a new car's first oil change, it is a good example of why running the initial fill to the max before an oil change is a bad idea. No matter what the manual says. Pretty hard to say whether a Napa Gold would have done better if it was a new car.

Originally Posted By: Izb
Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
napa gold all the way!

Napa has 50%@20u. LOL

FRAM or RP (Amsoil): Which of them has the smallest resistance to the flow (and the later opening of the bypass valve)?

Where are you getting this information? NAPA Gold, which is the same as the normal WIX filters, are both 95% @ 20 microns.

The NAPA Platinum, which is the same as the WIX XP (their synthetic media filter), are both 50% @ 20 microns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back