Help Me Choose Between These 4 Filters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is a 2006 Honda Accord I4 with 84,000 mi. Driving conditions vary from month to month: sometimes a 20 mi highway commute, sometimes a 2 mi commute in the city. Last OCI was 5000 mi, this next one is looking to be just over 6000 mi. These are being determined by the on-board Oil Life Monitoring System.

I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic oil and from what I've read on here that seems to be a good choice. I will likely stick with it.

Now for the filters, for the longest time on previous cars I used a Fram Extra Guard. The grip on the end is a nice feature IMO.

However, with this new car I did a bit of research on oil and filters, that's how I ended up with the M1 oil, and I decided on a Napa Gold based on things I read here and information on FleetFilter.com

But now I've been doing some more digging into filters and have learned of a few other options and am trying to decide between:
  • Fram Ultra Synthetic $15
  • Napa Gold $11
  • Napa Platinum $15
  • Mobil 1 Extended Performance $13

Forgive the inflated prices. They are Canadian prices converted into USD.

I know options like the Ultra and Platinum are intended for very long OCIs that I will not hit. I would also like to change the filter with the oil each time. So it seems buy one of these filters might be a waste of money. However, I do like the idea of the increased filtering ability of the synthetic media.

Should I just go ahead and use a better filter for 2 OCIs? Stick with a new Napa Gold every time? Maybe the better filtration of the synthetic is worth it.

What do you all think?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Is Mobile 1 a product of Alabama?
welcome2.gif

Just harassing you......
smile.gif

I like the Fram Ultra and M1 in the Hondas
I use both for most cars. I have no issue running either out to 15K with 2 oci and have ran them further.
Does EBay Canada have the plain Ultras cheap? Here you can get 6 for $36 shipped.
The Fram Tough Guard would do great up to 10k miles as well.

Originally Posted By: derass
Whoops! Fixed it.

I like to change oil filters every oil change, too. You don't need the higher holding capacity of synthetic media for a 6k OCI so I'd stick with the Napa Gold or use a Tough Guard like AirgunSavant said. I use Tough Guards for 10k OCIs.

Have you considered adding the OEM Hyundai/Kia oil filter to your list of oil filters? The OEM Hyundai/Kia oil filters fit Hondas and I really like these oil filters. The filter is very robust, relatively cheap in price (about $5.00 here in the U.S.) and easily obtained from a dealer or ebay. I've been using these filters on my 03 Honda CRV for a few years and have absolutely no complaints. The factory recommended oil change interval for Hyundai/Kia vehicles is 7,500 miles so the filter should be good for your oil change intervals.

The M1 filters are excellent, flow well, and are quite robust. In fact, with Honda and Toyota cars, it's perfectly acceptable to change the filter every other, or every third oil change. Cut one apart after 3 oil changes and you'll agree. As you will find nothing in the element, and no restriction in flow.

The M1 filters are excellent, flow well, and are quite robust. In fact, with Honda and Toyota cars, it's perfectly acceptable to change the filter every other, or every third oil change. Cut one apart after 3 oil changes and you'll agree. As you will find nothing in the element, and no restriction in flow.

About the only reason to change the filter often is to get every last drop of dirty oil out.

Last edited:
My first choice would be the Mobil 1 filter followed by the Ultra. Since NAPA is a PITA for me to get they wouldn't be a consideration. I've heard good things about them though.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Good to know. I just changed my oil and used a mobil 1 filter.

In regards to your filter choice I would choice between any of them. They are all high quality and will suit your needs. I would use the cheapest.

You could run fram ultra for two OCI with no issues. You're wasting money by changing the filter every OCI.

I'm using a napa gold on my 97 for two OCI which ends up being around 10,000 km in 12 months. Once I use up my stash of current oil filters, I'm going to switch to an ultra and change the filter every 15,000km. (I'll probably extend the OCI to 7500km with PP). Car is a short tripper.

Get the ultra when it's on sale at Canadian tire.

The other option is to buy 6 at a time on Rockauto.com (this is the only way shipping is reasonable in Canada).

Originally Posted By: derass
I've been doing some more digging into filters and have learned of a few other options and am trying to decide between:
  • Fram Ultra Synthetic $15
  • Napa Gold $11
  • Napa Platinum $15
  • Mobil 1 Extended Performance $13

U.S.A.-made Napa Gold (Wix) filters are top notch. I've cut many, many of them open after an OCI, and never noticed a defect.
Mexico-made Napa Gold (Wix) filters? I wouldn't be so sure. I've cut one open after an OCI, and I didn't like what I saw.
In your position, I'd probably stick with OE or Mobil 1.

Any of them will work fine save for the NAPA Platinum (aka Wix XP) which has poor efficiency. The NAPA Gold (standard Wix) would be fine for what you're doing as would the aforementioned Fram Tough Guard. Both can do your mileage and be 99% efficient in the process and be relatively inexpensive to boot.

Your year and engine accord could end up being an oil burner. May be too early to tell. I would advise keeping an eye on your dipstick and doing more frequent oil changes until you get a baseline.

Do you have any parts stores affiliated with Uni Select? They sell Wix filters for 6-7 for most passenger cars.

Thanks for all the responses!

Couple more questions:

I left out the Tough Guard filter because I believe it still has fiber end-caps. Is this correct? It is my understanding that fiber end-caps can allow the filter to collapse. Metal end-caps seem like an obvious improvement. Does this not concern those who are using them?

Pardon my terminology, but is the M1 filter media "fully" synthetic. I'm under the impression it is a synthetic blend. The Ultra is "fully" synthetic correct? Maybe it's just better marketing on Fram's part.

At those prices if it were me I would get the dealer filter if it is less cost. And forget about the rest of it. Can't go wrong with the Honda engineered oil filter from the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back