Help Me Choose An Oil For My Next Change......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I have my car put away for winter months, it has 15,000 kms on it (9000 miles), and has been running Castrol GTX 5w-30 since the first oil change. The car is 2002 Honda Civic SiR with 2.0L, calling for 5w-20 oil. I will be changing the oil next around June, just before a lapping day event which I am holding at Gingerman Raceway in Michigan. I want to change over to a synthetic oil which I can run at the event and keep using after the event for about 4000 miles in total. I will definitely have it analyzed afterwards. The event has us running 15 minute heats every hour, so about 8 heats during the day. Heats are run WOT high rpms for entire time, with some cool down and warm up laps. I will be driving 5 hours to the event and 5 hours back after the event and then keep running the oil for a few more miles after that. Here are my choices in no particular order:

Synergyn, Mobil1, Redline, Schaeffers. I don't want to do any additives at this point in time,just want to run a straight oil and see how it holds up. My viscosity choice will probably be 10w-30. Although Synergyn's 0w-20 and 3w-30 sound interesting. I am sure a 5w-30 will hold up fine in any of these oils, but I will probably go with 10w-30. It gets pretty hot in Michigan at end of June.

I'd be interested in hearing any recommendations from any of you guys, feel free to recommend any oil and any viscosity. This will be my first venture with synthetics on this vehicle, after testing I will decide if I keep running the oil or not, and determine change intervals at that point. I know there may be some opinions to change the oil right after the event, or to keep running the oil for 7000 miles, but I kind of want to split it down the middle and run it for 4000 miles. I may have an analysis of my current oil by then, so a 4000 mile comparison may be the best way for me to go on the next change. Any info would be great, thanks !. Hey I love this new smiley face, way to go guys !
canada.gif

Since Honda specifies 5w20 for your engine, and you won't be changing your oil until next June, you may want to consider using the upcoming Moibl 1 0w20 that will be out by then.

I'd go with M1 5w-30 or Amsoil 5w-30. Ignore the manufactures 0w-20 requirement. Not necessary unless you want to save .000000001 MPG.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I'd go with M1 5w-30 or Amsoil 5w-30. Ignore the manufactures 0w-20 requirement. Not necessary unless you want to save .000000001 MPG.

0w20 may give him a horsepower advantage. There's a reason NASCAR drivers run 5w30.
wink.gif

I have to say the more I look at Synergyn's 3w-30 oil the more I am inclined to run it. I see they have a 0w-20 available as well, but I probably wouldn't use a 0w-20 on a track day. Gonna look more deeply into this oil brand.

I would be interested in you using the Schaeffers Blend because it has moly and seems to produce good wear results. There are others that have used redline with good results with racing so that's probably a good choice. I wouldn't use the Mobil 1 because it's a thin 30 weight at temp.

quote:

Originally posted by Idrinkmotoroil:
I have to say the more I look at Synergyn's 3w-30 oil the more I am inclined to run it. I see they have a 0w-20 available as well, but I probably wouldn't use a 0w-20 on a track day. Gonna look more deeply into this oil brand.

As much as I like to see people run Schaeffer oil to help Bob and David keep this site going, I also like to see people try new and different oils, for research purposes, so I'd like to see you try out the Synergyn too. But if you have a beater car, try out Schaeffer oil in that.
smile.gif

Thanks Patman, that is my intention on the two next oil changes for this car. Looks like I may run Synergyn for track use, then Schaeffers for the next oil change follwing that one. Probably do oil analysis on both, combined with two samples I have for Castrol GTX and Havoline Synthetic. Out of the four samples I can then choose the best one for constant use daily driving. The synergyn will probably be put through the hardest used though, so I will have to keep that in mind when comparing to the other samples. I appreciate the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back