Help me choose a lawn mower

Are zero-turn industrial type mowers good on hills (side to side/up and down) and tend to get good traction?

Traction isn't typically the issue with ZTRs. In fact, they get great traction since going straight means equal power to both drive wheels. I've never used one on hilly terrain, but from what I've seen/read, you pretty much have to go up/down inclines with them unless you can finesse the controls enough to allow you to go straight along an incline.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
Are zero-turn industrial type mowers good on hills (side to side/up and down) and tend to get good traction?

I use an Exmark at work and it is decent on hills. Certain brands claim to hold hills better, and I suggest you study lawnsite.com for the answer. It's difficult to judge what your definition of "steep" is. The term "death" is often attached to mowing on steep hills.

I would imagine that a professional Z would cut your mowing time in half. Their blade tip speed is phenomenal compared to lawn tractors and the terrain smoothness is what limits how fast you can go.

They are pricey. Bad Boy is the new kid on the block and is getting lots of good reviews for excellent bang for the buck.
Otherwise, "best brand" is a regional thing.

When I say steep.. remember I live in hilly east Tennesee. More advice is alays welcome. I want something that isn't going to tear up. I don't want something flipping over on me on a major slant.

If they can do it all. What price range am I looking at?

Thanks for all the valuable help!

Jaymus it all boils down to how much you want to spend. Like doitmyself says, lawnsite.com is probably the busiest OPE site around. Some commerical ZTRs are so wide, you'd really have to get crazy to roll it on it's side. You can get excellent traction out of a lawn/garden tractor with weights and chains or ag tires installed. It's all specific to YOUR conditions. John Deere and Simplicity make 4x4 garden tractors for ~$10-12K+. You can also get a 4x4, diesel compact utility tractor like a Kioti or others with a mid mount (or drag behind mower) for $10K-12K. If keeping cost to a minimum is a must, get a dealer supported Cub 1500 series with a 54", with wheel wts and chains or a Sears/Husqvarna unit with a 54". Any of those would be $3K or less.

I've owned a Scag Freedom Z with 26-hp Briggs ELS since 2007, 470 hours. Only had to replace the starter solenoid during that period. Just did my second service on the ZT-2800s. Used 20w-50 Maxlife. Scag recommends 20w-50. Cut my mowing time exactly in half on my 2.5 acres. Best money I've ever spent!

I've owned a Scag Freedom Z with 26-hp Briggs ELS since 2007, 470 hours. Only had to replace the starter solenoid during that period. Just did my second service on the ZT-2800s. Used 20w-50 Maxlife. Scag recommends 20w-50. Cut my mowing time exactly in half on my 2.5 acres. Best money I've ever spent!
This is a thread from 2009...

Not sure on price but I saw some info recently on the Ventrac mowers and they look really heavy duty. That along with the fact that they can mow steeper terrain than traditional mowers.

JD is an excellent choice. The X500 series is awesome and the 300 series is a fine machine. Do not buy a JD machine frome the big box stores. They are for light use only. Ask me how I know.

Back