Help me choose a lawn mower

Well, I'm in the market for a new lawn mower/garden tractor.

The 2005 Craftsman LT1000 17.5 hp just isn't enough. It doesn't mow flat, and hasn't for a couple of years. The deck and materials that hold the deck are just too low quality for the hills, bumps, dips, etc. that I have to mow. Now the engine won't run for more than 30 minutes. Maybe the valves need adjusted. I don't know. It doesn't crank up easy, either. Kind of like it's locked up until it finally turns over. Very hard on the battery.

I mow 4-6 hours in a row each time I mow. I mow on steep hills, mow thick grass, and a barn yard. I don't know what kind of mower I need for this. The 17.5 HP B&S didn't used to bog down, but now that I've thrown in this barn yard, the grass is too much for it to mow over and over again.

So, you may wonder what my budget is. I don't really have one.. but don't want to go over $4500, really. And if there's something killer out there that can do what I need with out breaking down on me for $2000-$3000, I'd love to hear about it.

I was looking at John Deere mowers. I like the x500 line up, but they are a little pricey in my opinion. At the same time, the x300 only comes with a 42" deck and the mainstream models sport 17 horsepower engines, and I want more than that, I think.

I'm looking at the x-series because I am hoping they won't bend and flex like my Craftsman LT1000 does. Maybe the normal John Deere 100 series would be fine?

But any brand recommendations are welcome. I want a great, smooth cut. BTW, I was also thinking Husqavarna if they make really good mowers.

Despite it's 42" deck and 17HP engine, I think you would be happy with a JD X300.

I own the LA110, which is a few steps below an X300, and i like it fine. I'm not that rough on it, though. I say go to a JD dealer and test ride an X300, to see how it feels. Maybe step up to the X500 if you need more mower, and have the extra $2.5K.

Good luck!

I just want something that isn't going to bend, warp, and fall to pieces while I mow on the hills, dips, ditches, and bumpy terrain. Will any JD do this? Or will it take an x300/x500?

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
I just want something that isn't going to bend, warp, and fall to pieces while I mow on the hills, dips, ditches, and bumpy terrain. Will any JD do this? Or will it take an x300/x500?

My L-series is used on a very bumpy yard, and hasn't had anything come apart or come loose in 3 seasons. Your situation sounds like you might want to go for the somewhat sturdier X300, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus

I mow 4-6 hours in a row each time I mow. I mow on steep hills, mow thick grass, and a barn yard. I don't know what kind of mower I need for this. The 17.5 HP B&S didn't used to bog down, but now that I've thrown in this barn yard, the grass is too much for it to mow over and over again.

How many acres? 4-6 hours is that weekly? To much time on a mower for me. If you are only using it to mow I would look for a quality zero turn mower. I bush hog everything but the home site once a month and use a JD Z445 ZTR for the house. The Ez-trak JD's are not so good on bumpy ground if you want a really smooth cut unless you slow down. The Ez-trak line has been taking off since it came out, I have been seeing more and more of them in commercial use.

The new lower end deere's are only slightly better then craftsman in the frame dept. I've had a new and older deere at the same time. The difference is night and day.

I got good service mowing an acre with a JD L110 automatic. But, for the same money, a friend of mine in Cross Plains, TN bought an old Farmall 140 with a Woods belly mower hanging underneath. That 50 year old little tractor really gets the job done and is more versatile than my JD. The state of Tennessee used to mow along highways with 140s and some of them are still around. Might be worth looking.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Have you looked at the Hustler Fastrak series of mowers? Very popular with the pro mowers.

My neighbor has one of those. It's awesome.

the x300 series is available upto a 54" deck (x340 w/ 25hp), i'm looking at the jd wishbook as i am typing. my grandmother who is 86 has a x300 series with 54"deck (she mows 4 acres twice a week) and it is unbeleivably comfortable to mow with, go with the power steering option, its well worth it

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't notice that the x300 series had bigger decks. I'll look into the x320 a little more, as it has a 48" deck. Would something like this be really tough? I am looking more into riding mowers, btw. Gotta fit in the back of my truck.

i own a lx176 jd now and my grandmas x300 series looks to be commercial quality, shes had it for 4 or 5 years and no issues, she mows alot, she can't drive a car anymore so she mows, ALOT. as far as the rough terrain, no need to worry part of what she mows is an old orchard lots of bumps

Can't go wrong with the X-300. Nice motor-cut 20 min of my mowing time vs. older STX-38. Owned 2 years-only problem has been the battery going bad. Replaced w/$20 wal-mart special.

Don't overlook the used offerings at your JD dealer, I am looking at an 08 X520 with 180hrs for $4500.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
I am looking at an 08 X520 with 180hrs for $4500.

That is a sweet 'deere and a great price. List is $6659 on them. Liquid cooled Kawi. I'm not sure what Tufftorq trans is in there, but it's an upper model.

Joel

I think they are trying to reduce their used inventory, I bet they have upwards of 30 used riding mowers on the lot, not including the zero turns.

Well, all in all, is the X320 overkill? Like I said, I mow 4-6 hours at a time, twice a week. My main concern is the hills and bumps that put twists on the lawnmower. I just need something that is going to hold up.

Is it going to take an x300+ series to do this? I guess I need to go look at this thing in person and feel the metal.

I agree with JTK, you need a machine with the largest deck you can get. IMO the X300 might not be enough.

Quote:
8 to 12hrs PER WEEK of mowing

shocked2.gif
That is a LOT of mowing!!!
shocked2.gif
I'd be looking at something industrial-strength for that amount of work!!

The mowing is for my mom's house and for my grandmother's house. Once a week, she wants her barn lot mowed down behind her house, that is where the 4 hours of mowing turns into 6. That part is 90% flat, though. I don't know why I feel so obligated to a riding mower. Are those zero-turn mowers a lot better?

Oh, that reminds me, the one thing turning me away from the zero-turn is some of the hills I mow. I have to sit far on the edge of the seat when I'm going sideways on some hills. The others are very steep up and down.. very. If the grass isn't just right, the tires will spin right when I get to the top, and I have to take them in 6th gear, as going too slow will start spinning half way up.

One last thing. I figure if I'm going with a new machine, I want a bigger deck, but honestly, the amount of time it takes me doesn't bother me that much. I enjoy driving the mowers because I maintain them, lol. Each long mow is my 'test' on the engine, oil, etc. Don't blame me, BITOG made me that way.

Back