Help me choose a filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! I have been lurking around this great site for a while, what a great source of information. I have been having some trouble choosing a filter, and hope you can help. I have an 01 Ford Ranger with the 4.0 SOHC V6 engine. The truck has 69000 miles, and gets Mobil 1 5w-30 changed every 5000 miles. I have always used the Motorcraft FL820s filter, but have considered changing. Like you, I want the best filter that I can get and have been looking at Pure One, Wix, Mobil 1 EP, and K&N. One thing that makes the choice so hard is the location of the antidrainback valve. I was told (at the dealer) that since my filter mounts vertically, the valve needs to be in the base of the filter. Only the Motorcraft and the Wix are of this design. Is the location of this valve really important? The folks at Purolator and Mobil claim it doesn't matter. I'm sure the Motorcraft is a fine filter, but I'd like to find out what is best for my application and drain interval. Thanks for your help!

All filters should be made to the manufacturers specs. The pureone is a very good filter and a decent price. The M1/kn filters IMP are not much better and way more expensive.

welcome.gif

I think you mean the bypass vavle. All ADBV are located in the base. Many don't like bypass valves that are in the dome end. They suspect that if the bypass opens that it will wash down debris from the media. I don't know how much weight I put into this ..but it's something to ponder.

All yous choices are top shelf ..even the Motor Craft filter.

PureOne and Wix are a good buy and are probably better in a cost:benefit ratio then M1 or K&N. MC is cheap at WM and an excellent buy as well, imo.

If you do enough miles in a year to use mulitiple filters, consider giving fleetfilter a chance to see how cheap you can get a Wix/NAPA Gold. For most, it's a very economical way to buy filters of that level of quality.

Sorry, I did mean the bypass valve! I guess each filter has its strength, but overall I wonder which be the best for a 5000 change interval. If the bypass valve were the only consideration, then it would be either Wix or Motorcraft. I'm also interested in the filter media - is synthetic necessary/better for 5000?

The mileage would only take holding capacity into account ..but most filters, even the finer ones, don't get loaded all that much, imo, for 10k or more. YMMV. Synthetic medias still have celluous (paper) in them. I'd personally flip a coin between Wix/NAPA GOLD and MC filters. Both are solidly build with favorable features.

If you're into doing UOA, you can evaluate each of these filters yourself (and everyone gets to share in the learning) ..in a comparative manner. Just do your 5000 service with either and get a PC as part of your UOA. It's expensive, but will kinda tell you which filter did the better job.

I've been using PureOne filters for about 10 years now and have never had a problem with them. Just recently I ran a UOA of my wifes Caravan and the UOA was excellent with no wear metals of any kind during the 5k OCI using PP 10w-30.

I also used to own a 2001 Toyota Tacoma that had the filter pointing in a pretty steep downward angle and every time I changed it, it was always completely full of oil. So I wouldn't worry too much about the oil draining back.

He doesn't want to use a filter with a dome end bypass filter. That eliminates Purolators. It doesn't eliminate the Purolator made MotorCraft.

I really like the Wix filters and they have the threaded end bypass like Motorcraft filters.

FWIW: I have found one threaded end bypass Purolator. It is their version of FL299 (too big for your Ranger though).

It seems I was wrong about the location of the bypass valve in the Mobil 1 M1 210, it is indeed in the base. Mobil's terminology of "backplate" confused me, I contacted them again, and they "enlightened" me. Sorry for posting incorrect information!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back