Help Me Build a Cheap Waste Oil Filter!

So I figure filtering the used oil out of my Subaru and Nissan through a paper towel before putting in the F-350 probably isn't the best way to go about this. The truck loses a quart every 125 miles (give or take) due to a bad head gasket. The truck is not worth the labor to change the head gasket.

I actually had another oil filter housing for a 5.4 that I threw out a few months ago. Bummer, it would have been perfect. The threaded part comes out and would have been long enough that I could have out it in something else.

I'm thinking of using some old tidy cats 5 gallon pails since they're rectangular. I'll mount the filter horizontally a few inches up so the biggest of the big crud will get caught. I'll cut the hole in the side, whatever is used to connect the filter will be attached then I believe I can just let it flow freely? Oil goes into the center of the filter, right? Then clean oil comes out. Should be able to let it gravity feed into an empty oil container.

Don't have time for threading pipes myself. Don't want to spend a lot of money either. I can buy 2 gallon jugs of traveler and supertech for not a lot of money and get a few thousand miles for $20. But seems a waste to dump brand new oil in every 125 miles just to have it leak out.

Taking suggestions!

Last edited:
So I figure filtering the used oil out of my Subaru and Nissan through a paper towel before putting in the F-350 probably isn't the best way to go about this. The truck loses a quart every 125 miles (give or take) due to a bad head gasket. The truck is not worth the labor to change the head gasket.

I actually had another oil filter housing for a 5.4 that I threw out a few months ago. Bummer, it would have been perfect. The threaded part comes out and would have been long enough that I could have out it in something else.

I'm thinking of using some old tidy cats 5 gallon pails since they're rectangular. I'll mount the filter horizontally a few inches up so the biggest of the big crud will get caught. I'll cut the hole in the side, whatever is used to connect the filter will be attached then I believe I can just let it flow freely? Oil goes into the center of the filter, right? Then clean oil comes out. Should be able to let it gravity feed into an empty oil container.

Don't have time for threading pipes myself. Don't want to spend a lot of money either. I can buy 2 gallon jugs of traveler and supertech for not a lot of money and get a few thousand miles for $20. But seems a waste to dump brand new oil in every 125 miles just to have it leak out.

Taking suggestions!
i had seen an youtube video ( i think ) where a filter was made from toilet paper to filter used oil.

i had seen an youtube video ( i think ) where a filter was made from toilet paper to filter used oil.
Close they look and are described as such but commercially it would just be a bypass filter.

If one could find a cheap surplus centrifuge you can get everything separated out

I think if it was me, and I had a vehicle leaking that much oil, and I wanted to use used oil in it out of my own vehicles, I would just be very carful to drain the oil into very clean containers, and then just use it as if it is clean oil. Remember, the oil that you are draining out is filtered while using it. If you don't contaminate it when changing, It is as clean as if you run it through another filter.

dirty oil goes in the outside of the filter

A coffee filter works fairly well, if the oil is warm.

centrifuge is going to get out all the very fines, if you care.

Rod

Reactions: JC1
I think if it was me, and I had a vehicle leaking that much oil, and I wanted to use used oil in it out of my own vehicles, I would just be very carful to drain the oil into very clean containers, and then just use it as if it is clean oil. Remember, the oil that you are draining out is filtered while using it. If you don't contaminate it when changing, It is as clean as if you run it through another filter.

This is what I’d do if I were just looking for oil to keep an old truck running. Maybe drain it into the containers and set a strong magnet underneath for a few days to let any metal settle out. Hold the magnet to the bottom of the jug when you top off.

I would get an Large Cheap oil filter, A piece of pipe 1 foot or longer that the threads into the oil filter then cut a hole on the bottom of your bucket, get an adapter that can seal the bottom of the bucket with the pipe hang it over another bucket and just dump your oil and let gravity filter your oil into the new bucket.

You could get this done for under $10

Plus you could change the oil in any Donor Vehicle a little sooner.
Win, win situation.

I'm sure the coffee filter method would work. I have a few large funnels that I could use to do it slowly. I guess mentally, I'd feel better about running it through a filter before putting it in the oil pan where it will get run through a filter again.

I end up with too much stuff on the bottom of the cars. Drain pan always gets full of dirt and junk.

The Nissan is on course to get a 2000 mile oil change. Once a year and thanks to work from home, it rarely gets driven.

I would get an Large Cheap oil filter, A piece of pipe 1 foot or longer that the threads into the oil filter then cut a hole on the bottom of your bucket, get an adapter that can seal the bottom of the bucket with the pipe hang it over another bucket and just dump your oil and let gravity filter your oil into the new bucket.

You could get this done for under $10

Any idea where I could get a pre-threaded pipe that would have the right pitch? Is that something lowes would have?

If you have 2 buckets and one can sit on top the other even if it has to be turned 45 deg or round buckets and 1 lid. Then drill some large holes in the bottom of 1 bucket so they will be centered over the bottom bucket when stacked. Then trim your lid so its a tight fit when you push it to the bottom of the bucket with holes and drill holes in it that match the ones in the bucket using the bucket as a template. Remove the lid and put a large coffee filter flat over the holes and put the lid back pressed to the bottom over the filter. Put a piece of screen loosely over the top of the bucket and use a bungee cord around the bucket to hold it in place, it should have a sag to it. Put this bucket over the one without any holes and pour your hot oil from the drain pan through the screen and let gravity do the rest.
Ideally you would have one bucket sitting inside the other but still high enough so the oil would not come up to the bottom of the inside bucket depending on how they nest. You could put a few plastic drywall anchors into the side of the top bucket with screws or bolts to prevent it from going all the way in. That way you dont have to worry about the top bucket slipping off the bottom one while your pouring the oil just make sure they are above the expected oil level when you empty the pan.

Bingo.....no sense trying to filter already filtered oil. And his idea of gravity filtering....I question if it would work. Filters, once dirty have a lot of back pressure. Just make sure the oil pan is clean before drainage.

I have one of these large funnels which has a screen that can be put in the opening to filter out any large chunks. I would use that with two coffee filters to filter the oil into clean containers and call it a day. Sounds like the truck doesn't need that much love. The oil filter can do the rest.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210406-195653.jpg
    Screenshot_20210406-195653.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 7
I agree.
As I have gotten older, I try to 'maximize' any amount of work done with the 'minimum' amount of time.
I'm not being lazy, just trying to work smart.

Just use a gravity drip oil filter remote mount....

Pick any remote oil filter mount and equivalent filter... couple hoses.... 1 for the big funnel and other hose for clean filtered oil.

I have one of these large funnels which has a screen that can be put in the opening to filter out any large chunks. I would use that with two coffee filters to filter the oil into clean containers and call it a day. Sounds like the truck doesn't need that much love. The oil filter can do the rest.
^^^^ this will work good for PCMO. I have one of these and took the scree / strainer out because when I pour in the 3 gallons of 15W40 into my Cummins it takes a LONG time... I kept the screen and pop it back in for instances when I want to strain oil.

Just my $0.02

Just use a gravity drip oil filter remote mount....

Pick any remote oil filter mount and equivalent filter... couple hoses.... 1 for the big funnel and other hose for clean filtered oil.
yep, say, This guy, (which takes 3/4 16 filters) as long as you keep the input "tank" higher than the output "tank"... it should work... not sure how fast, but i should work...

I picked up a large funnel and tried the coffee filter method for some gear oil. Didn't quite work so well, but probably because gear oil is so thick. I'll be doing an oil change on something soon enough to give it a try.

Otherwise It'll be one of the above items and a filter

Back in the day I owned a 1976 Plymouth Volare with a Slant 6 that ran great but used a quart/600 miles.
I used to change oil on my Harley and dump it right into the Volare. Even with the used 20w-50 it still used oil.
You don't need to filter it. :ROFLMAO:

Back