Help identifying HD RV Coolant - What's yellow with nitrites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for an 07 Spartan mountain master chassis - 8.9L cummins ISL. I bought the RV used a year ago - and of course no documentation on what coolant is being used... This is not the original coolant, but that's all I know.

Sent my coolant out for testing - came back calling for a change.

BUT - I know all the different coolants OAT, ELC, etc, etc aren't all compatible - so I'd like to drain and refill with as much of a compatible coolant as is reasonable. (of course if that isn't possible I'll do a drain, flush and refill)

Ideally I want to go to an easily obtainable OAT coolant - I love the fact that I can swing by walmart and pickup final charge...

So - what's in there now is yellow - no SCA - a small amount of nitrite and some moly. I suspect this would have gone in the motor based on previous owner turnover somewhere between 2013 & 2016.

I've topped up with ~1/2 gallon of distilled water in my year of ownership and a short term previous owner could have possibly tainted an otherwise non-nitrite coolant with a top up as well to further muddy the waters...

[Linked Image]

My best guess is Shell Rotella Ultra ELC with a top up of a nitrite coolant afterwards.

What are other options that might better fit the test results in there? Any thoughts/suggestions are much appreciated.

2019-11-09_18h26_11.png

Last edited:
John Deere CoolGard II and Zerex G05 are both yellow.

Based on the information you provided, if it was mine I would do a complete flush and start out fresh with a known product. Diesel engines need excellent coolant.

Don't go by the color....previous owner may not have put in the proper coolant. Contact Cummings and see what they recommend. Probably a Diesel Coolant like Fleetguard.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
95% sure it's got G05 in it..
G05 uses Silicate, Nitrite, Molybdate and Borate + i believe Benzoate as the OAT inhibitor.

Thank you - that's very helpful! I was considering G05 as an option but wasn't sure how likely that was given how low the nitrite & silicate levels are - would the tested levels be reasonable 'old' levels for a G05 fill?

spoke with the coolant lab today. As I didn't have the coolant type indicated they ran it as a traditional SCA based coolant. After talking to them they were very confident it should have been run as an OAT based coolant.

After re-running that through their tools their recommendation switched from a coolant change to a rebalance to 50/50 with a 2 gallon drain off and refill.

They couldn't speak to which OAT coolant was used other than that it was yellow - so I'm still in the same boat as to trying to identify what's in there - with the best suggestions being that I'm looking at G05.

Is there any better/worse compatibility considerations between G05 and/or rotella ultra elc used as a top-up to an unknown base? they both say they are compatible with 'good quality' - rotella lists compatible up to 25%...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back