HELP! Can someone please explain the difference between straight and multi vis oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Pet-Can Duron 30:
40c.....83
100C....11.2
VI....123
flash..249C
pour ..-36C

I'd bet this one would pass as a 20w30 for sure, but I'm not sure how the cold pmuping viscosity (cP) would be different than the cSt viscosity. Using the Visc calculator and comparing this oil to Delvac 1300s 10w30 and 15w40 has:
code:

cSt @0C cSt @40C cSt@100C

1300S 10w30 773 74 11.5

1300S 15w40 1390 117 15.5

Duron 30 1066 83 11.2

From this, I'd believe that the straight 30 would work at least as good as a 15W40 in the cold around 0*C.

And, yes, SAE 25W does exist. It must have a max cP of 13000 @ -10*C. I've seen some old "racing" oils in 25W40.

Lets use an example when a manufacture specified a preference to a single weight engine oil instead of the more common suggested multi-grades.
Would a way around this single grade requirement be the use of a synthetic that does not have VI improvers, but passes a multi grade test?
Since due to the fact synthetics have such a high VI, can they be classified as both a single grade and as a muli-grade in the same container?
Is a 5W40 synthetic a straight grade, a multi-grade or both?
If "BOTH" is the answer is it dependant on the blend not containing VI improvers?

Since the Quote function isn't working, I'll have to do the old fashioned way.

"Lets use an example when a manufacture specified a preference to a single weight engine oil instead of the more common suggested multi-grades. Would a way around this single grade requirement be the use of a synthetic that does not have VI improvers, but passes a multi grade test?"

Yes! Check out the Street and Racing oil specs for Redline on Redlines web site.

"Since due to the fact synthetics have such a high VI, can they be classified as both a single grade and as a muli-grade in the same container?"

Yes! But the label would probably not read that way. Check out the Street and race oils for Redline on Redlines web site.

"Is a 5W40 synthetic a straight grade, a multi-grade or both?"

It could be a multigrade with a mix of various viscosity POA's for example, or it could be a single viscosity PAO with VII's, which would still make it a multigrade. Much depends on base oils and base oil viscosity availability and economics. The multigrade classificiation is very dependent on how the resulting formulated oil performs at various temperatures, or its Viscosity Index.

For example, I could use a combo 4/100 (at 100 C) vis PAO, or use a combination 8/40 vis PAO to make either a starting 40 OR 50 weight base oil, depending on the ratios of each. For the 40 weight base oil, the 4/100 would have a - 60 C pour point, a flash point of 230 C, a Noack of 10.4%; whereas the 8/40 vis mix would have a -51 C pour point, a flash point of 272 C, and a Noack of 3.2%.

We haven't yet included the effect of low and high viscosity esters, nor have we included the effect of the additives on the viscosity or VI.

[ June 27, 2003, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

One thing most don't know or understand is that a single oil can sometimes qualify as a multiple visc oil... example... say this 15w40 obviously qualifies as a 15w, but then they may take the test to see if it can qualify as a 10w and it too can pass the same test for 10w, so now that same oil can be marketed as both 15w and 10w40. In some cases where some of these full synth's are involved such as m1 or maybe amsoil, one oil could be one in the same for say a 10w30,5w30 and a 0w30. It's just that they only need to meet the spec for that viscosity then they could label it as such, retest that same oil and if it meets the lower spec, label it as such.

Bob's right. A straight weight oil means we don't know what low temperature peformance it might have because we haven't done any low temperature tests or we don't care. An oil manufacturer could market his 0w-40 oil as a straight 40-weight if he wants.

(The VI would be a bit of a tip-off though.)

[ June 27, 2003, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

A short while ago there was a thread on the findings of those beautiful minded good Will hunters at MIT.
Question: Can I be newtonian retentive and have my multi-grade too?
Do single grades act like multi-grades when the VIs are high in all aspects?

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
For example, I could use a combo 4/100 (at 100 C) vis PAO, or use a combination 8/40 vis PAO to make either a starting 40 OR 50 weight base oil, depending on the ratios of each.

MK, how could any combination of a 8 cSt and 40 cSt PAO yield a 50 cSt blend?

G ManII, thats SAE 40 or 50W vis not cSt
gr_eek2.gif
unless I'm missing something here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back