Help...Can anyone recommend a good oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading and reading and re-reading posts on this forum and the UOA forum to try and decide what oil to use in my new RX330.

The manual calls for 5k oil changes. I wasn't going to use a full synthetic like GC due to the "short" OCI. I currently use GC for our other car that calls for synthetic. But full synthetic seems a little overkill for 5k OCI.

Then I was wondering about a semi-synthetic. I have considered Tropartic blend and Mobile Clean 7500. I am a little concerned about the Tropartic blend based on the price. It is hard to beleive that it has such a high synthetic content for such a low price. I could not find any info on Mobil's wedsite about the synthetic content of its 7500 oil. I wonder how much synthetic oil is really in there giving its current price and the fact that the Mobil Clean 5000 has no synthetic oil in it.

So, I guess my question is based on my application should I go with a good quality dino (like Havoline) or synthetic blend for 5k OCI? If I go with a blend, which is better Tropartic or Mobil 7500 or another brand? Or, should I just make a homebrew blend with Mobil dino and Mobil 1 (4:1)?

Sorry for the long post...but this is driving me nuts!!!!
banghead.gif

Yea, I'm starting to believe that overkill may lead to peace of mind.
cool.gif
..nah, even with overkill I'll still be thinking there is something better out there...it is a disease.
dunno.gif

Unless your owners manual recommends specific standards be met, such as ACEA A3, then I'd recommend a quality dino of the factory-recommended viscosity. If your driving is extraordinary the perhaps a full synthetic, such as Mobil1, is in order.

Havoline is a great dino and has shown good UOA's at 5K. I change the Cavalier's at 4K for the 'peace of mind' factor so I see no need for a full synthetic for my needs. I cleaned out my local Walmart's final stock of Motorcraft blend for $1.52/qt. after it was disco'd. I now have 2 years worth of oil for my Ranger.

If I had an RX330, I'd probably use Mobil 1. This is Bitog so maximum over kill is permitted.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by spanky:
I have been reading and reading and re-reading posts on this forum and the UOA forum to try and decide what oil to use in my new RX330.

The manual calls for 5k oil changes. I wasn't going to use a full synthetic like GC due to the "short" OCI. I currently use GC for our other car that calls for synthetic. But full synthetic seems a little overkill for 5k OCI.

Then I was wondering about a semi-synthetic. I have considered Tropartic blend and Mobile Clean 7500. I am a little concerned about the Tropartic blend based on the price. It is hard to beleive that it has such a high synthetic content for such a low price. I could not find any info on Mobil's wedsite about the synthetic content of its 7500 oil. I wonder how much synthetic oil is really in there giving its current price and the fact that the Mobil Clean 5000 has no synthetic oil in it.

So, I guess my question is based on my application should I go with a good quality dino (like Havoline) or synthetic blend for 5k OCI? If I go with a blend, which is better Tropartic or Mobil 7500 or another brand? Or, should I just make a homebrew blend with Mobil dino and Mobil 1 (4:1)?

Sorry for the long post...but this is driving me nuts!!!!
banghead.gif

With all the info on synthetic oils that have been very much in the general car public for years, why anyone would use anything other than a synthetic is beyond me. Unless you have a mazda rotary where synthetic is not recommended (although syn has been tested in that engine and has done well) I would want the best for my car. If that is erring on the safe side as far as overkill, so be it. You never know what type of driving situation you'll encounter within a given OCI. Better safe than sorry.

We have an RX330 also...

Love that car!

Anyway it's using bulk oil from the dealership since I have oil changes upto 2006.

Works alright, but toyota engines love the mobil 1.

Once the warranty is up, I'm going GC (if the gold stuff proves itself) or mobil 1 full synthetic and stretching the OCI to 10,000 miles.

My scion tC daily driver is currently on the 10,000 OCI with 6,900 miles on it running green GC.

TropArctic is great stuff for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back