Helicoil or Timesert

That really changes things, stainless on stainless can almost weld themselves together when the chromium oxide layer deteriorates, the Heli Coils are usually stainless. Nickel anti seize is a must when using stainless bolts in them.

One important thing to remember, is with either a Heli Coil or a Timesert, the holes have to be drilled precisely. The precise size, and at right angles to the mating surface. They also have to be tapped the same way.

You won't accomplish either with a hand drill. You'll get the angle wrong, as well as the size. Also the hole will most likely be bell mouthed. And you won't be able to control the depth properly either.

A properly drilled hole for a Heli Coil will provide a strong, long lasting repair. Most every Heli Coil repair that I have seen fail, can be traced back to an improperly drilled hole.

And forget J.B. Weld, along with all the other Mickey Mouse type of "quick and dirty" repairs. They either won't work, or won't last. Or else all of the above.

Tap it for M7x1, it takes an M6 hole, just run an m6 drill bit down the hole then tap. The M7 bolts are commonly available at Ace or HD.
Tapping for M7 takes a lot less meat away then tapping for a coil or sert. Make sure the hole in the part being bolted on has enough play for the extra 1mm (it usually is no problem), the head will be 11mm instead of 10mm.
Trav is the man, 1/4 is close also but i not metric

For anyone interested M7 bolts are easy to get. I recently had a 40mm long M6 bolt pull the thread out of aluminum, too deep for a STI helicoil tap so I ran a M6 drill bit down it to clean any roughness out then used a long M7 tap to make new threads. A solid 15 min repair that would have otherwise have been a big dismantling job to use a coil or insert.

Some M7 sources.

Back