hedge trimmer blade resin cleaner and lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a Stihl hedge trimmer yesterday. I saw they recommend you spray the blades with there spray after you are done. Obviously, i thought there probably a cheaper alternative that works just as good. I saw somewhere some said to use a teflon based lubricant spray. What your suggestions?

I have used Tri-Flow for years (which is teflon based). Over two decades actually now that I think about it.
wink.gif
. Works great because it flushes out stuff while leaving a good lube behind.

I did not know manufacturers specifically recommended a teflon lube like that, but it makes good sense. Frankly, I think any good cleaner/lube like Break-Free or similar would work, too. I think the key is the fact after using it, you are leaving chewed-up, wet organic material jammed in the teeth. Just spraying ANYTHING to displace some of that water and the material that holds it/retains it there is the key.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oro_O
I have used Tri-Flow for years (which is teflon based). Over two decades actually now that I think about it.
wink.gif
. Works great because it flushes out stuff while leaving a good lube behind.

I did not know manufacturers specifically recommended a teflon lube like that, but it makes good sense. Frankly, I think any good cleaner/lube like Break-Free or similar would work, too. I think the key is the fact after using it, you are leaving chewed-up, wet organic material jammed in the teeth. Just spraying ANYTHING to displace some of that water and the material that holds it/retains it there is the key.

Stihl doesn't recommend a teflon lube. They recommend there stuff. Which usually cost more. According to what I found, it contains graphite and is petroleum oil based.

Originally Posted By: NH73

Stihl doesn't recommend a teflon lube. They recommend there stuff. Which usually cost more. According to what I found, it contains graphite and is petroleum oil based.

I wouldn't pay more for their stuff. Any cheap spray is going to keep the blades good for a lifetime, teflon or not. I would prefer a teflon or petroleum based one over silicone here is all.

It's a lot like guns; their is nothing unicorn-like or uniquely magical about them that means you have to have a 100% dedicated specific lubricant/oil. Just marketing.

Triflow does have Teflon but it's certainly not Teflon based... Anyway my first choice would be fluid film, though I don't have any trimmers like that to try.

I use the Dupont spray lubricant with 'Teflon' from Lowe's. It's inexpensive and won't attract dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back