Heavier 5w-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What 5w-20 oils are heavier, like closer to 5w-30? Am driving from NW Indiana to southern Florida next month, and will be down there for a couple of weeks and then driving back. So lots of highway miles and hot temps. Have been using what ever 5w-20 is cheapest, changing at 5000 miles using only mc filters. Vehicle is a 2008 F150 with the 5.4, and has 55,000 miles on it. Thanks.

I wouldn't even worry about it. The drive in those conditions are not hard miles. Pick your favorite oil brand and run it.

I used NAPA conventional (Ashland) 5W20 in my old F150 and towed my trailer/Jeep across the US with heat,cold, and moutain passes. It didn't miss a beat.

You can look up oil specs on the manufacturer's website if you really want to pursue this, but off the cuff, Mobil1 is one of the heavier 5w/20s. Its Cst at 100C is 8.9; the upper limit for a 5w/20 is 9.3, IIRC.

If you think your preferred brand's 5w/20 is too "light", you can always mix in a quart or two of its 5w/30 viscosity to arrive at the result you wish to see.

Castrol, the regular GTX or the fancy Edge FST Ti are both very thick for a 20 grade. At least they were, Castrol has been on a "thin is in" reformulation rampage lately.

Amsoil has a thick 5w20 as well.

The heavier OTC 5W-20's are PU (HTHSV 2.7cP) and M1 (HTHSV 2.77cP).
That said and as mentioned, highway driving is easy on an engine and the oil. And if you're not using a lot of constant WOT you're still better off running the lightest 5W-20 which is PP.

Originally Posted By: fisher83
I believe that Castrol GTX comes in toward the top end at about 9.1 and the scale for 5w30 begins at 9.3.

Unless it's HTHSV is over 2.6cP the KV100 spec' tells you nothing.
Castrol could simply be using a lot of polymer VIs which boost the KV100 spec' disproportionally relative to the more important HTHSV.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
And if you're not using a lot of constant WOT you're still better off running the lightest 5W-20 which is PP.

even on a 1996 Toyota V8 spec-ed from the factory for 5W-30 with 10W-30 as an alternate, you still think a 5W-20 for "not using a lot of constant WOT" driving?

I use 0-20 in Fords and travel to Florida(actually it gets hotter in Indiana than Florida) and anywhere else I want to go.

Originally Posted By: LScowboy
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I'd suggest Quaker State Defy 5W-20.

why DEFY over PU?

Cheaper and it has a higher ZDDP level more in line with oils of the day.

Any 5w20 will do.

Don't worry about which is "heaviest" - all are still 20 weight at operating temperature.

If you're going to continue the 5000 mile intervals, consider QSGB. I ran a lot of that in my f150 with the 5.4, and never had a single complaint. If you are going to extend the interval a bit more (7-10k), any name brand sun (PP, QSUD, M1, SynPower, Edge, etc.) will work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back