Heating options for home

Status
Not open for further replies.
My house has ceiling radiant heat. it is very reliable and simple Until It Breaks then you have to rip out the ceiling to fix it needless to say nobody does that so both bedrooms still work but I discovered that the kitchen in the living room do not work these two rooms are connected and are just separated by a little walkway. I need to get some heat both rooms combined are about 400 square feet. What is my best most practical option I'd like to not do central air until the other rooms quit Heating and then I can justify the cost I know there's baseboard heaters there's those compact heaters there's the fire places you just plug in and have radiant heat what do you guys think of the pros and cons of something that's hardwired in versus just plugged in and used? I know my walls are plaster so making holes for a thermostat might not be the easiest let me know what you guys think to do and what's the best option to take

Do it right the first time.
I would look into having a ductless mini split cooling & heating system installed.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I would look into having a ductless mini split cooling & heating system installed.

Agreed these systems work extremely well and efficiently for both heating and cooling. The only issue is in more extreme cold(below 15F for extended periods) they not produce enough heat for and need supplement.

Last edited:
As a more temporary solution theres electric baseboard heaters that have a thermostat built into the unit, that might be the cheapest and quickest option until the whole house needs to be redone.

Originally Posted by skyactiv

For a pro to install a split ductless it will cost $3000-4000 even for a small one.

If OP has AC experience, which I assume he does, he could likely DIY, assuming he has appropriate gauges and vacuum pump.

Split ductless will be cheaper to run than electric heat, but it's still electric heat, which is $.

OP, I dont understand the premise of ceiling-mounted radiant heat. Heat rises. Can you post some pictures of the system?

What exactly fails? I just turned on the heat this AM on our ~90 year old radiator-based system, and knock on wood, its working great. These systems just arent all that complex. Does yours have "zones" (multiple thermostats)?

Electric heat is the obvious emergency solution - those oil-filled radiators work well IME. But youll need to verify your wiring and circuit layout if youre going to run it too hard. If no small kids around, there are also propane radiant heaters, which if you buy grill propane in bulk (i.e. refill your own bottles at a distributor, not using one of those exchange services), and limit your usage, it may work well enough to keep those rooms comfortable when youre in them.

Id also argue that in the kitchen and living room, you dont have to lounge in your underwear or be naked. So clothing may be a very viable alternative, limiting just how much supplimental heat you truly need. You obviously generate heat to some extent when cooking in the kitchen. Manual HVAC calculations typically reflect that as a key consideration. So the kitchen may not matter at all when you think about it!!

I dont know the layout of your house, but heat rises. If youhave a multi-level, can you keep the thermostat on, engaging the rooms that have heat, and letting the cooler (but yet warmer) heat fall down? If all on one level, can you employ a fan or two to help move the warm air to the other rooms?

So basically with a ceiling radiant heat system every room has its own thermostat and the wires are embedded in the plaster in the ceiling and it heats up the ceiling and it radiates through the room. basically the only thing that fails is I guess the thermostat goes out or the wire burns up. And as far as heat rising I'm not sure that that's actually accurate with radiant heat it was explained to me that it works like how the Sun works the sun is above us but radiant heat comes down and warms everything.

I know about the system you are talking about. I grew up in a house that had it. It never did cause us any issues, but that was in the late 60's early 70's.

You may have already found this link about troubleshooting it. https://www.doityourself.com/stry/radiant-ceiling-heat-pros-and-cons

I agree with the others that have responded. The mini-split systems are the way to go. In the mean time you might want to buy a couple of these hydronic baseboard heaters. I have one and they work great. They are quiet (no fan or blower) and heat rooms evenly especially when placed near a natural convection air source like under a window. https://www.marleymep.com/system/files/node/file/field-file/QMark FHP Sellsheet.pdf

Another thing is that the hydronic baseboard heaters vs traditional baseboard heaters (with heating element only) seem to heat more evenly. I am not sure, but I think it is because the liquid heats up and transfers the heat in a more conductive fashion to the surrounding air.

Good Luck, and let us know what you decide.

Originally Posted by ram_man
So basically with a ceiling radiant heat system every room has its own thermostat and the wires are embedded in the plaster in the ceiling and it heats up the ceiling and it radiates through the room. basically the only thing that fails is I guess the thermostat goes out or the wire burns up. And as far as heat rising I'm not sure that that's actually accurate with radiant heat it was explained to me that it works like how the Sun works the sun is above us but radiant heat comes down and warms everything.

OK got it. Interesting setup. Had not heard of such a thing around here.

So, what's above and below these two rooms?

Can you easily access the wiring somewhere? Anywhere? In the box where the thermostat is, for sure, but where else?

Im familiar with on-wall electric thermostats to some extent. Seems to me that the easiest thing to do in a pinch, is to get something like this:

[Linked Image]

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand...Raceway-Channel-in-White-700WH/100144606

And do something like the lower half of this:

[Linked Image]

Doesnt have to be the prettiest. Just pull the thermostat out, pull the wires going to the radiant, and then run a new wire through that molding to a baseboard heater installed right below.

I was under the impression when I heard radiant, that it was hydronic radiators. Youre already accustomed to the cost of electric heat... got it.

So from there, yes indeed, mini splits are the way to go to get efficiency advantages if youre still using electric heat. Agreed. But in a pinch, you need to know what the breaker is feeding each, what the switch current rating is in the thermostat, and then ensure that all conductors can support carrying the current.

Then just get the appropriately rated baseboard, and the appropriately rated conductor to feed it, and you should be done in no time flat.

FWIW, I just looked at HD by me, and 1000W baseboard heaters are in stock like crazy, and cost all of $44. So do a temp job like this in two rooms, totally reversible, and Ill bet you can have heat for less than $150. If the thermostats are in OK locations, Ill bet nobody will even be able to see the job you did!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back