Heat Pump in Northern Climates?

An interesting data point. I ran both the mini-split heat pump and NG furnace (baseboard water heat) in my Milford, PA home during December. Ran the heat pump only while I (solo) was there (about 2 weeks) and used 440KWH worth of powa! Total cost including taxes, state and local fees, assessments, connection charges and so on, 25c per KWH.

I did not expect that much electrical use. Considering that I keep the place at 60 when not there, only run the heat pump when there, and work from 7AM to 10PM and the hot water is NG.

December was mild for the area. Conclusion: NG is MUCH CHEAPER, per BTU.
Ok, good info. There are 277.8 kwhrs in one GJ. So 1 GJ is 277.8 x .25 = $69.45 per GJ. But with maybe 300% efficiency because of your COP, the real cost is $69.45/3 = $23.15 per GJ equivalent. Now, how much do you pay for your natural gas per unit . ( any unit, I’ll convert it for you). It will confirm what you are saying.

Hi All,

Just replaced my NG furnace with a 2-stage variable speed 96% AFUE unit. Now it's time to replace the outside AC coil, and I'm curious if I should also consider a heat pump for a dual-fuel set-up. My gas rate is $0.35/therm and my electric rate is $0.10/KWh, but I believe I could get better on an off-peak rate. I live in ND where temps routinely can stay below 0 for weeks in the winter, and we can hit low 90s at times in the summer. Would the extra cost for a heat pump over an A/C unit be warranted in my case for the swing seasons, or just stick with my highly efficient furnace/cheap gas rate for all my heating needs?

For what it's worth: house is 2400sq. feet and pretty well sealed and insulated. Gas bill last month with an average temp of 9F was $80, which includes keeping my 600sq. ft garage heated at 50 degrees as well.
No way. Heat pumps shouldn't be used above NC if that. I have the latest SEER HP in WV and it does nothing but run in the low 30's. I installed an outdoor wood boiler to stay warm.

I dont think there is much to disagree with as far as goes heat or heat pump.
Gas heat is less expensive. Anyone with both knows this.

Efficiency means nothing comparing fuels vs actual cost of what the homeowner is paying. Efficiency is better comparing devices using the same fuel, otherwise marketing/sales/misinformation prevail when comparing efficiency as a standard with different fuels ex. Electric Heat Pump vs Gas Furnace.

Efficiency of a heat pump as "textbook" high as 300% efficient (which isnt reality in cold areas) means completely nothing as the electric power to power the heat pump is roughly 30% efficient which makes it grossly more expensive then 90% efficiency for gas.

Oil and propane are different, prices set in a more retail environment by independent dealers and almost impossible to compare to others who maybe better at negotiating price.

Back