Heat My New Shop With 1940's DuoTherm Oil Heater

Here's my latest stove I bought and installed 2 years ago, 1953 model.
IMG_9710.JPG
IMG_9711.JPG

So is the oil pressurized or does or just drip into the combustion chamber? I do remember a neighbour’s house being heated like this in the late sixties. Is it an outdoor tank?

Last edited:
So is the oil pressurized or does or just drip into the combustion chamber? I do remember a neighbour’s house being heated like this in the late sixties. I think I recalled an oily smell.
Oil is gravity fed and the carburetor regulates the oil level in the combustion chamber. Super simple system, but consume more fuel than a pressurized furnace. They went out of style in the 70's as the cost of fuel went through the roof.

They did have a place in history as people were using wood stoves and/ or fireplaces and these oil heaters brought comfort to the far end of the house away from the kitchen and fireplace. Plus they didn’t require constant tending. Oil was cheap in the Sixties.

I don't know when it ran last, but I saw one of those heaters in an old church in rural Virginia. It's cool that you guys are actually using them.

Attachments

• IMG_2537.JPG
    IMG_2537.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2540.JPG
    IMG_2540.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 16
Hi all. NooB here. I saw on C.L this morning a oil burner just like the brown one in your pic. So, I was looking for some info on it and stumbled onto BITOG.
Having lived all of my 55 years is CA, I never had a need for such an animal. But, now I'm in a cold climate and I've been looking for something to warm up my garage a bit, as I spend a lot of time out there. My garage is idk, 6-700 sq ft. That heater should work? I don't need it to heat up to 65. If it will go to at least 45, I'm good. My question is will that heater maintain that temp? Is it regulated easily? What about on/off frequently? Does it need electric power? Can I vent it out the side wall and not thru the roof? Thanks for any info! :)
Here's my latest stove I bought and installed 2 years ago, 1953 model.View attachment 33888View attachment 33889

Hi all. NooB here. I saw on C.L this morning a oil burner just like the brown one in your pic. So, I was looking for some info on it and stumbled onto BITOG.
Having lived all of my 55 years is CA, I never had a need for such an animal. But, now I'm in a cold climate and I've been looking for something to warm up my garage a bit, as I spend a lot of time out there. My garage is idk, 6-700 sq ft. That heater should work? I don't need it to heat up to 65. If it will go to at least 45, I'm good. My question is will that heater maintain that temp? Is it regulated easily? What about on/off frequently? Does it need electric power? Can I vent it out the side wall and not thru the roof? Thanks for any info! :)
It will easily heat 600-700 Sqft.:) It can be vented either through the wall with a stack outside or through the ceiling. I shut mine down overnight and start them in the mornings. I only run them 24/7 if the temp goes down to -15C or colder and that usually only for a week or two every winter. They can be regulated from low to high and some did come with a thermostat that you can adjust. I run my full heat and they consume 1 quart per hour at full settings. You can turn them down to pilot overnight as well so you don't have to light it in the mornings. Overall a great stove and easy to maintain. I'm running waste oil in mine so I have to clean them weekly, but if you ran diesel or kerosene then that wouldn't be a problem. You don't need any power to run them, some have a fan like mine, so I use those, but you don't have to. I hope this helps.:)

Wowza. Do you need to update your home owners insurance for that? Not having lived in an area where oil furnaces are a thing, that looks a little dangerous or at least a little intimidating.

It will easily heat 600-700 Sqft.:) It can be vented either through the wall with a stack outside or through the ceiling. I shut mine down overnight and start them in the mornings. I only run them 24/7 if the temp goes down to -15C or colder and that usually only for a week or two every winter. They can be regulated from low to high and some did come with a thermostat that you can adjust. I run my full heat and they consume 1 quart per hour at full settings. You can turn them down to pilot overnight as well so you don't have to light it in the mornings. Overall a great stove and easy to maintain. I'm running waste oil in mine so I have to clean them weekly, but if you ran diesel or kerosene then that wouldn't be a problem. You don't need any power to run them, some have a fan like mine, so I use those, but you don't have to. I hope this helps.:)
Right on, thanks. The person was asking $235 and not sure if it works. So I said that seems like a lot of money for a 50+ year old furnace that might work. Haven't heard back.....

Right on, thanks. The person was asking $235 and not sure if it works. So I said that seems like a lot of money for a 50+ year old furnace that might work. Haven't heard back.....
If your patient, they come up from time to time for 40-100 bucks range.:)

I have a 1950s duo therm that was working like a champ on kerosene. I recently switched to fuel oil and have noticed a lot more soot and it has Back fireda couple time when it’s really windy out and stunk up the cabin.
Any ideas what’s causing this issue… too much draw to little draw I just cleaned the inside of the fire pot

Back