Hearing Aids

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeking some advise and personal experience from anyone who uses hearing aids and what to look for in price,quality,and what is just junk.
This is for a friend who is a 78 year old machinist,any help would be great.

I have little experience besides amusing myself with hearing aids, etc as my mother was a speech pathologist and had samples.

I read that one can buy a hearing aid that you can program yourself via a bluetooth app. I think one of the large costs is the fitting and programming.

Your friend needs to get a hearing evaluation first, to identify what his hearing problems are. I used an audiologist associated with an ENT clinic for that evaluation.

Ended up with ReSound hearing aids that I am happy with. They ran about $1800 each three years ago and have performed well. I used a Blue Cross preferred provider from an ENT clinic. My Blue Cross covered all the hearing aid costs. At the time, Costco sold a similar package at a similar price.

Since your friend is on Medicare, he may be paying for the hearing aids, unless he has some other additional insurance.

Mom has a pair that's cost over $2000 bucks ten years ago. Industry designed to rip off people. Micorelectronics have come way down in cost over the past 15 years an this tech needn't cost over 1000-.
There are decent ones you can get online for a few hundred dollars. Better off with the behind the ear electronics and mic with an audio tube to the ear canal. Easier to clean and repair and battery up. You just need a unit with a decent compander and dynamic limiter. Freq tweeking and comp is more for younger folks.

I've worn them for 20 years, since my early 30's.

I've had Siemens, Phonak, others. The price of the aid is less important than the ability of the 78 year old to be willing to accept change, and also the multiple trips back for small adjustments to the sound.

A person that has lost hearing and made it to 78 with no aids will either find themselves overwhelmed by all that LOUD World they've been missing ~ or really excited by what they got back.

It goes either way, some are really happy to be able to hear their grandchildren talk, and others find all that new sound to be too stimulating & annoying for their patience!

Hey, thanks for the replies, he did get a full medical hearing exam graphed out,i'll have to dig deeper into that info.

Hearing aids are not as good as 100% hearing but better than no hearing aids.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Hearing aids are not as good as 100% hearing but better than no hearing aids.

Thanks for letting us know that.....lol
crackmeup2.gif

My wife was fitted with hearing aids just over a year ago.

After much research, we became Costco members in order to purchase the Kirkland signature set. 2 Aids and a controller.

Cost was $1,800 Can. With free test and assessment.

Apparently the Kirkland aids are Resound Versa, but in order to be exclusive to Costco,the programing system is different.

We have been very pleased with this new year purchase, and the service from Costco. We have needed to go back for adjustments.
This apparently is quite normal as it takes time for one to adjust to hearing sounds that they have missed for many years.

The warranty is also very good. One aid was replaced free of charge after it was chewed by our friends dog.

The first thing to acknowledge is like with many other health-related things everybody is different. So what works for 1 person may not work for the next person.

Start first by getting evaluated to see if you can get by with something inexpensive or need something expensive or perhaps what can be done might be cost or lifestyle prohibitive.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Mom has a pair that's cost over $2000 bucks ten years ago. Industry designed to rip off people. Micorelectronics have come way down in cost over the past 15 years an this tech needn't cost over 1000-.
There are decent ones you can get online for a few hundred dollars. Better off with the behind the ear electronics and mic with an audio tube to the ear canal. Easier to clean and repair and battery up. You just need a unit with a decent compander and dynamic limiter. Freq tweeking and comp is more for younger folks.

I had "in-the-ear" hearing aids.

Where I live, it's humid. I regret that "in-the-ear" decision, bcuz it's uncomfortable and I sweat quite a bit. I stop using after a while.

Should have got the "behind-the-ear" type. Batteries are also slightly bigger and last longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back