Healthy oil consumption

I have a 1.5 engine mitsubishi lancer 1998 changed the short block which is the motor unit from 1.3 to 1.5 now after 1000km trial easy driving the engine didn't consume any oil using 20w50 full mineral SJ rated oil " which should be changed every 3000km " after that i changed the oil and ran it for 2000k " the mechanics here use this process to clean the engine from inside " but this time around i was driving it fast most of the time between 120km to 140km while the top is speed 180, when i was changing the oil it lost about 1 liter of oil but no smoke whatsoever, did it lose oil due to high speed driving? Even at such thick viscosity! Or is it the beginning of worn rings? The mechanic said it might consume abit till seals inside get its pliability back as it has been sitting at the dealer shelf for sometime so it might dry out which is normal

Are you saying you charged a new block with oil, then drained it out after 2K, being short one liter? This one liter may be the oil that normally remains in the galleys, passages, and clingage during an oil change.

Did you measure the amount of oil drained out in a proper container? Was the engine hot when you drained the oil or was it drained cold? I've never used 20w-50, so I'm not sure how much slower it would take to drain out than a 5w or 10w.

How much oil did you put back in?

Did you measure the amount of oil drained out in a proper container? Was the engine hot when you drained the oil or was it drained cold? I've never used 20w-50, so I'm not sure how much slower it would take to drain out than a 5w or 10w.

How much oil did you put back in?
I have added 3.3 liters as per the manual but didn't measure the drained oil i counted on the oil level on the stick, i always drain oil while engine is still hot and wait for it to drain as long as it takes untill it stops dripping

now after 1000km trial easy driving
You might have driven too easy and didn't bed in the rings.
Did you do some engine braking? Rev up and down in lower gears. Let the engine pull the car speed down.
Now that it's mostly broken in do some full throttle runs to near redline in 2nd or 3rd gear, then take foot off throttle still in gear and let engine run down.

Back