Engine status

I have 98 mitsubishi lancer which had 1.3 engine but after 300k it consumed too much oil and it was a time for a new engine, i have now installed a 1.5 engine that came from Australia and been testing it first 2000 km it lost abou 250ml of oil i am using 20w50 shell high mileage oil, the mechanic said its normal for the first change of oil as the new was dry from the inside and that consumption seems normal and i should go for 1000km and retest to see if it loses any oil and he stated that 250ml of oil loss per change is normal for a healthy engine as long as it's not smoking, i did a compression test and 2 rooms scored 10 and 2 eooms scores 9 the technician who did the compression test said that the motor is about 60% healthy and that is as good as ic na get fpr a used engine maybe after 1 year or so might need some work but for now there is no oil burning from any room as they scored close to each other, so my question is are bith technian words are true or are they mistaken as i have warranty that if motor is badly worn i can change it but after that its mine

I believe that is pretty normal for a new engine. It should get better as time goes on and eventually it won’t use any at all most likely.

My guess is you got a engine that has sat for some time plus running 20w50. It will take some time for that motor to loosen up. As for those compression numbers I have no idea what they mean. Rooms are combustion chambers I presume.

The informal standard in the US has been one quart per 1000 miles and no visible smoke. Without doing the exact conversion it seems you're well better than that.

My guess is you got a engine that has sat for some time plus running 20w50. It will take some time for that motor to loosen up. As for those compression numbers I have no idea what they mean. Rooms are combustion chambers I presume.
Yes combustion chambers
The informal standard in the US has been one quart per 1000 miles and no visible smoke. Without doing the exact conversion it seems you're well better than that.
Even the 20w50? I always had the idea that 20w50 full mineral doesn't lose any oil unless it's an oil burner but the mechanic says otherwise

Yes, drive it some new see if it improves. 250ml is roughly 1/4 of a quart, which is then over 2000km or 1200 miles. its a used engine, so it shouldn’t be expected to be perfect. These numbers would equate on this side of the pond as 1 quart every 4800 miles, which would be good with a normal weight oil. 20-50 high mileage is awfully thick however. the issue is that you and your mechanic must agree of defining “badly worn.” You will have to negotiate some with him to figure out what he’s willing to do.

Yes, drive it some new see if it improves. 250ml is roughly 1/4 of a quart, which is then over 2000km or 1200 miles. its a used engine, so it shouldn’t be expected to be perfect. These numbers would equate on this side of the pond as 1 quart every 4800 miles, which would be good with a normal weight oil. 20-50 high mileage is awfully thick however. the issue is that you and your mechanic must agree of defining “badly worn.” You will have to negotiate some with him to figure out what he’s willing to do.
He extended the warranty till i test the engine some more and see of consumes oil or not

250ml in 2000kms is a very acceptable and normal oil consumption rate. Such a small amount of oil burning will not cause any visible smoke. As for the compression test, when you said 10 and 9, did you mean 10 and 9 bars? That equates to 145 and 130 PSI for us in the States, which is not excellent, but is still acceptable and the engine can still last a long time if the air filters and oil changes are done often enough.

250ml in 2000kms is a very acceptable and normal oil consumption rate. Such a small amount of oil burning will not cause any visible smoke. As for the compression test, when you said 10 and 9, did you mean 10 and 9 bars? That equates to 145 and 130 PSI for us in the States, which is not excellent, but is still acceptable and the engine can still last a long time if the air filters and oil changes are done often enough.
I am planning to change my oil at 5000km using either semi-synthetic 20w50 sn rated oil or 20w50 mineral sm rated oil with chaning filters like every 15k km as Egypt is sandy especially where i live

Change the PCV valve on that engine, find a good 15W-40 HDEO that's rated CI-4 or CJ-4 and drain/refill your oil every 3,000 km with an oil filter change every 9,000 km. Replace the air filter every time you change the oil filter, do not blow it out with compressed air.

Change the PCV valve on that engine, find a good 15W-40 HDEO that's rated CI-4 or CJ-4 and drain/refill your oil every 3,000 km with an oil filter change every 9,000 km. Replace the air filter every time you change the oil filter, do not blow it out with compressed
I change oil filter with every change but i am not adventures " or educated " enough to use hdeo instead of oil made for gasoline engines and i want to keep that engine healthy for as long as i can as the cost was high enough

Back