Headlight protection film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering applying some protection film to my F150 headlights since the truck is outside 24/7 as well as seeing a lot of highway miles. I plan on running her into the ground and would like to avoid the cost of replacement headlights at a high mileage point due to yellowing or other issues.

Can anybody recommend an easy to install kit? Main concern is yellowing and secondary is protection from small impacts/chips. Looks like 3M and husky make kits, anybody else?

Google it and you will find a lot of vendors. May be good for stones, although the plastic is tough. My way of thinking is any plastic will age in sun, and it's easy to get wax to fix it on OEM headlights every few years, so why bother?

Whoa, I didn't see how old this post was!

Last edited:
I've been using Lamin-x the last 3 or so years (2 different cars) and have loved the product. They make clear and different variations of tinted films. It isn't the easiest thing to work with if you don't have patience and a steady hand, but it turns out looking great and protects very well against road debris as well as from the sun.

Do the bulbs burn hotter with the film on the headlights? Is the adhesive optically clear?

Headlight armor and xpel both offer headlight kits direct to consumer.

Bulbs will burn hotter. But its only an issue if you're using non oem bulbs.

If you get film marketted for headlights then itll ve optically clear. Actually the adhesive can fill over some of imperfections and provide a more optically clear surface then what you have.

Results just like wax are of course highly dependent on install skill.
If you just want to pay somene call around to clearbra or tint places

I haven't had issues with "hot spots" on fogs or headlamps, and I have tinted (only blocks 6% light output) on both. I did notice over the weekend on my wife's xterra, the fogs (also tint) look like they may have darkened the film a bit (fogs on her car run much hotter than my GLI, probably due to less room to dissipate the heat). Since the film on her fogs is also tint, you can't tell unless you are really close to them. When they're on, they're still bright.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think I saw that WeatherTech has them now. (The place that sells the nice but expensive custom floor mats).

Just checked their website. $55 for my wife's CRV! That's quite pricey for something like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back