Head gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

I just had a 2010 Cadillac SRX 3.0L with a leaking head gasket - you could see the coolant dripping off the head. This STOPPED it and the truck has been running fine. Try this 1st as it is cheaper than headgasket repair and worth the try.

Leaking to the outside is a lot simpler than having a blown "fire ring" where gas leaks out of a cylinder into the coolant. Many Civic owners will have that happen at some point and it really isn't a big deal to put a new gasket into those cars.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

I just had a 2010 Cadillac SRX 3.0L with a leaking head gasket - you could see the coolant dripping off the head. This STOPPED it and the truck has been running fine. Try this 1st as it is cheaper than headgasket repair and worth the try.

Leaking to the outside is a lot simpler than having a blown "fire ring" where gas leaks out of a cylinder into the coolant. Many Civic owners will have that happen at some point and it really isn't a big deal to put a new gasket into those cars.

Agreed. Had to do so with an 03 Civic I bought cheap. $700 and everything is good to go again, for plenty more miles. The key is to catch it early.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Well for starters, the actual mechs on this board don't pull those kinds of antics...

No doubt there are mechs that do- especially when playing the warranty game where pay can be even lower, but I don't think that a blanket type statement should be applied here. Remember, not all mechanics slither instead of walk.
If you read OP's complete saga, how would you you categorize his experience with multiple mechanics regarding his car? I agree that there are many mechanics who are good and honest but finding them is NOT easy. Don't you agree that quite a few of them are neither good nor honest?

Oh I agree that there are more than the fair share of hacks and crooks out there- I just believe that there are also enough good guys out there that one shouldn't generalize.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
How is the rest of the vehicle? Given that you will have to do the head gasket job with a shop, there is never a guarantee that they will do great job. Stories of botched had job gasket are galore. I mean the longevity of the job done by your typical shop. Most shops don't make too much money on that job. It ties down their bay for hours or days but do not get lots of dough from the customer to justify that. Remember, head gasket jobs are normally NOT done for top paying customers. In the shop talk, it is is no gravy job. They would much rather be doing routine 30K/60K service or brake jobs which gets the vehicle in and out and pays handsoemly. The guy who does the short straw to do the head gasket *will* take short cuts. He just has to make sure it does not come back within 90 days or so. My view may be little jaundiced but it is not out of norm given the generic automotive repair industry.

Given that judicious use of snake oil would be your best choice.

Motor, clutch and tranny are solid. Mech was recommended by someone here.

direct quite from mech on here that I met..

"I wouldn't put that in any engine, you cant have fibers roaming around in the cooling jacket heater and radiator and hope they don't snag on something and cause a total blockage, then you really have a problem. Truth is even if it stopped a HG leak it will 100% not stop a combustion pressure leak into the cooling jacket for very long, may be not even a day. Combustion pressure to cooling system is impossible to stop without replacing the gasket and probably planing the head if its not flat.

You need to repair this ASAP before the head is shot or the block get too hot and scores the pistons."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back