Hdeo vs ultra platinum to remove sludge ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same result, even faster
laugh.gif

Kreen is about a 1/3 stronger than BG-109, and that much faster. It is very effective. But you will have to stay on top of your filter changes as it can loosen stuff fairly quickly.

I would have no problem using a Kreen, except we can longer get it shipped into the Kalifornia Kollective
frown.gif
It's so strong that the State has deemed it too good for mere mortals to have access to
frown.gif

If you can order it in your area and are willing to insert a new filter every 500 miles or so, that's certainly one option
smile.gif

As I understand it, this vehicle uses a cartridge filter ? If so, by the time you pull the first one after treatment with either Kreen or BG-109, you will have a good idea of how often you will need to pull the next ones. Just from personal experience, I feel fine about using BG-109 and letting a filter bigger then say a Fram 3600 go 1,000 miles.

With Kreen, I'd pull the first filter inspection at 500 miles ... If it's not covered in slime and guk, you can let the next one go longer ...
smile.gif

If you honestly have sludge, the first thing to do is remove the VC(s) and pan and clean with warm kerosene by hand (brush), check the oil pick up screen, and not f' around with questionable approaches.

I second what Kschachn said about showing what it is, and about taking with a grain of salt loosely/poorly supported theories that are widely bantered about here.

Asking "which is better for sludge, HDEO or PP?", is honestly like asking "How should I treat my bowel cancer - acupuncture or just deep tissue massage?" If you really have it, then get serious about it and stop dancing around the issue.

I have a 99 VW Passat that the previous owner neglected on oil changes. Was sludged up, but not enough to need to tear down the engine. I just ran and continue to run whatever the cheapest synthetic 5w40 diesel oil I can get for it. I just change it when it gets dark (in before the uprising for that comment).

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I would run a 0w40.

Why would a 0w40 be better on sludge than a 5w40 ?

It's much worse on the pocketbook.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: wantboost
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Which will work better ?

Please post pictures of the actual sludge so we can see how bad it is, and what kind of sludge.
how ?

Ahh so you don't actually have a sludged engine you're trying to clean then, either this is just a thought experiment or you have imagined sludge. All this commenting in this thread is for nothing other than fun?

PYB, with long highway runs whenever possible, and a decent quality filter (Wix, Ultra, etc.) for short runs, like 3K. IMO, if you're not going to tear it down, slow cleaning is the way to go. Make sure your thermostat is working, too.

Which will work better ?

Please post pictures of the actual sludge so we can see how bad it is, and what kind of sludge.
how ?

Ahh so you don't actually have a sludged engine you're trying to clean then, either this is just a thought experiment or you have imagined sludge. All this commenting in this thread is for nothing other than fun?

An automotive hypochondriac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back