HDEO for 1971 Dodge 413-1 RV

Slightly off topic but, a few years ago I helped a friend of mine get an industrial 413 unlocked that was in a rear engine rv. Cortez coach maybe? He bought the whole vehicle for the motor and ended up rebuilding it to run an irrigation pump. I think he uses Amsoil Premium Protection 20w50 in that one.
Yeah, pumps and generators seem to use them often, and I expect WOT 24/7.

I had a ‘73 Class A for quite a while, Dodge 440-3 with a Carter Thermoquad-it ALWAYS got Castrol GTX 20W50. And, that heavy old girl WORKED-once had 12 guys in it on a trip to Churchill Downs in Louisville. 3 MPG and a 30 gallon tank meant a LOT of gas stops-I actually had TWO fuel pumps because the single mechanical would starve the engine going uphill!

I had a ‘73 Class A for quite a while, Dodge 440-3 with a Carter Thermoquad-it ALWAYS got Castrol GTX 20W50. And, that heavy old girl WORKED-once had 12 guys in it on a trip to Churchill Downs in Louisville. 3 MPG and a 30 gallon tank meant a LOT of gas stops-I actually had TWO fuel pumps because the single mechanical would starve the engine going uphill!
:D
I have an aux electric to push from the tank, although I hadn't seen an issue WOT at 6% myself with just the mech pump.
With the 8HP70 trans and other tune stuff I hope to get >10 at 65, and the 60 gal tank is plenty.
The boxy style class As really take power to push 70.

:D
I have an aux electric to push from the tank, although I hadn't seen an issue WOT at 6% myself with just the mech pump.
With the 8HP70 trans and other tune stuff I hope to get >10 at 65, and the 60 gal tank is plenty.
The boxy style class As really take power to push 70.
Mine would make 70-that old Torqueflite 727 laying the power down, revs in the 4000 range at 70!

Mine would make 70-that old Torqueflite 727 laying the power down, revs in the 4000 range at 70!
Yeah that's part of my issue, with 4.55 gears, an old slipping TC, and now slightly undersized tires it's "screaming" all day on the highway, while peak torque is at 2200 and HP at 3800.
The new ZF trans will bring rpms down, with less wear and noise from a 413 screaming under my elbow.

ok what if you opened up the Exhaust and put a good Dustrubitor in it ? along with your trans upgrade that would be helpfull to your millage ?
The exhaust could use small tube headers - the iron manifolds on these are basically large plenums. The dizzy is a 60kV electronic unit which really made a difference in power.

The oil you’ve questioned should be a great choice however the glowing manifolds are a sign of retarded engine timing and/or an extreme lean fuel condition.
Pretty normal on the old heavily loaded V8 engines. The 366 GM engines in large trucks were notorious for it too. I’ve seen them glow in the 534 gas engine in our wrecker on a long hard pull too. Not saying he doesn’t have a possible problem but I wouldn’t go looking for something wrong if it runs fine otherwise.

Pretty normal on the old heavily loaded V8 engines. The 366 GM engines in large trucks were notorious for it too. I’ve seen them glow in the 534 gas engine in our wrecker on a long hard pull too. Not saying he doesn’t have a possible problem but I wouldn’t go looking for something wrong if it runs fine otherwise.
I added O2 sensors and had the Holley reman'd to spec so I'm confident that the performance is OEM (slightly rich). The data shows rich at WOT, slightly rich at 1/2 and very lean with plates closed downhill and 22"Hg. Rick Walker carbs does a perfect job.

WOT to part.jpgbuilt.jpg

Come to think of it our early eighties ambulances with 454 engines would illuminate the ground when on high idle on scene. They also cracked exhaust manifolds frequently. We wrapped air conditioning lines with exhaust wrap and mounted a cooling fan at the 160 amp Motorola alternator trying to keep everything from cooking under the hood. Even punched louvers in the hoods. My memory is foggy after 45 years of this stuff…

Come to think of it our early eighties ambulances with 454 engines would illuminate the ground when on high idle on scene. They also cracked exhaust manifolds frequently. We wrapped air conditioning lines with exhaust wrap and mounted a cooling fan at the 160 amp Motorola alternator trying to keep everything from cooking under the hood. Even punched louvers in the hoods. My memory is foggy after 45 years of this stuff…
My 454 Southwind cracked manifolds and I added Headmans to good effect.
Problem with RVs is that they glow on the hill and then cool too quickly on the downhill.

I added O2 sensors and had the Holley reman'd to spec so I'm confident that the performance is OEM (slightly rich). The data shows rich at WOT, slightly rich at 1/2 and very lean with plates closed downhill and 22"Hg. Rick Walker carbs does a perfect job.

View attachment 123912View attachment 123914
That RV is great!

Help me understand your chart and how it relates to ratios like 14.7.

I tuned a holley with a wide band, it was fun to watch the different circuits kick in. Nice tool for tuning.

That RV is great!

Help me understand your chart and how it relates to ratios like 14.7.

I tuned a holley with a wide band, it was fun to watch the different circuits kick in. Nice tool for tuning.
With narrowband it's an S-curve, 1.0 rich and .4 to .6 is about stoic.
airfuel.gif

Most ECUs don't care about keeping perfect 14.7 (and rarely do for good reasons). Here in 10% ethanol land stoic is more like 13.x anyway so I want it richer for that and which puts it out of the top of the vertical middle plot. Then also, I live at altitude which implies I want leaner.

And, to top it off, the 413 RV models are stagger-jetted

jets.jpg

Last edited:
With narrowband it's an S-curve, 1.0 rich and .4 to .6 is about stoic.
View attachment 124096

Most ECUs don't care about keeping perfect 14.7 (and rarely do for good reasons). Here in 10% ethanol land stoic is more like 13.x anyway so I want it richer for that and which puts it out of the top of the vertical middle plot. Then also, I live at altitude which implies I want leaner.

And, to top it off, the 413 RV models are stagger-jetted
Thank you for the details.

Back