HDEO for 1971 Dodge 413-1 RV

(y)

The timing is from Mopar Performance Small Block V-8 Electronic Ignition Kit and verified with a degree tape. Dizzy curve was adjusted by DynoTune.
I also installed O2 sensors and verified it is always slightly "rich" since local gas is 10% ethanol.
It takes about 10 minutes at WOT for them to noticeably glow. Someone in a Mopar forum said they were used for generators in the Pacific 24/7 and the manifolds always glowed. The water pump is 2x the size of a basic 440 and feeds the heads directly...
View attachment 122744View attachment 122745

The pic reminds me, there is room for a giant oil filter, what is the largest that will thread on?
Ph966

Those engines and the 440 were always breaking exhaust bolts off of in the heads. I used to R&R the heads without removing the intake manifold.

The studs on the ends go into the water jackets too.

Mystik still makes a 15w50 HDEO for this exact application, if the HPL product is out of the price range. It’s about $20 a gallon retail. It’s designed for older farm equipment.

Then as previously mentioned you have HPL, and others that make a similar product but on the more expensive side.

Otherwise, yes a modern 15w40 would work fine. I personally would recommend Kendall Super D-XA 15w40.

What a cool motor home! I don't know about Mopar motors, only Chevy Big Blocks, but I'm guessing any 15w-40, 20w-50, 15w-50, even a 5w-40 if it gets cold when you are using it would work fine. Old school rocks!

Sir, nice old vehicle. I’m liking the paint combo also 🍻👍
Thnx, The scheme is '63 - the only year the side trim was added.

Lots of good input - Mystic, Delvac, HPL, M1; so now there is the paradox of choice (although I'm leaning HPL)

And to further add to the pot there are numerous "M1" synthetics for one to choose from
Turbo Diesel Truck Full Synthetic
Extended Performance Full Synthetic
Fuel Economy Full Synthetic
High Mileage Full Synthetic
Synthetic Motor Oil
Truck & SUV Full Synthetic

although only "Synthetic Motor Oil" is available in 15w50.
This is why it is hard for an average joe to pick one, maybe as intended...:unsure:

I also have this can of 10W-20W-40 Enco that came with the RV, presumably used by a PO. Label touts many advantages:

IMG_3094.JPG

IMG_3095.JPG

Lots of good input - Mystic, Delvac, HPL, M1; so now there is the paradox of choice (although I'm leaning HPL)

And to further add to the pot there are numerous "M1" synthetics for one to choose from
Turbo Diesel Truck Full Synthetic
Extended Performance Full Synthetic
Fuel Economy Full Synthetic
High Mileage Full Synthetic
Synthetic Motor Oil
Truck & SUV Full Synthetic

although only "Synthetic Motor Oil" is available in 15w50.
This is why it is hard for an average joe to pick one, maybe as intended...:unsure:

I also have this can of 10W-20W-40 Enco that came with the RV, presumably used by a PO. Label touts many advantages:

View attachment 122856
View attachment 122857
That came before SuperFlo … nice collector item …!

Given your local climate; M1 15w-50 or Valvoline VR1 20w-50 would be my choice.
The conventional Valvoline VR1 20w-50 seems to have a rap for thickening when sitting. Another common problem with RVs like mine is that they can sit for months without use.

I'm actually going to drain the 15gal of gas I have today, as it is ~6 months old and burning poorly.

Odd, you mean beyond the grade? And this was measured how when cold?
Yeah, likely apocryphal reporting from some car owners who used it...

I think more important points are that winter is coming (freezing mornings here) and that the RV might not be started for a month or more at a time. I don't care if 7 qts is $20 more for a premium oil that stands up to the WOT use, and sitting, thus HPL 15w40 is sounding good.

Those engines and the 440 were always breaking exhaust bolts off of in the heads. I used to R&R the heads without removing the intake manifold.

The studs on the ends go into the water jackets too.
I found that the bolts were a tad loose after I bought it and had to re-torque properly. Some narrow-tube headers might be in the future (they were a great add to my 454 Southwind) but not a priority now.

I have a PH966 type on it, but there is room for an 8" or longer filter.

Just to throw out another suggestion, Redline High Performance 10w40 is heavier at operating temp than conventional 20w50. I have a neighbor who likes it in his GM 366 tall deck. Pao/Ester based stout add pack.

I saw the other day at walmart.com they had a 20w50 in Castrol and Quaker State, they were blends and were high mileage.

Love the RV, it's a beauty 😍

Quaker State All Mileage Synthetic Blend 20W-50 Motor Oil, 5 Quart https://www.walmart.com/ip/447026848
Castrol GTX High Mileage 20W-50 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil, 5 Quarts https://www.walmart.com/ip/34997881

Back