Havoline Synthetic Flash Points ! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another guy today told me it was PAO. He slipped up and said afterwards that they are not supposed to say what the base oil is. With a fashpoint that high and volatility that low, their is some PAO or Ester in it. Could be all PAO.

I am going to buy some of the 5W or 10W30 Havoine synthetic the next time it goes on sell at Advance Auto. I like Havoline dino, but I am intrigued by this product. It is difficult to get (AA only), but the info looks good. Any company that can make such a good dino (Chevron/Havoline) and manufacturers both Group III and PAO materials....might have an outstanding synthetic.

quote:

Any company that can make such a good dino (Chevron/Havoline) and manufacturers both Group III and PAO materials....might have an outstanding synthetic.

Thats a what me a thinkin.

Can't wait to see some UOAs on this stuff guys. Looks awesome value for us in the "severe service" 4K OCIs.

I just added a bottle of MLEP to a fill of Havoline Synth 5w-30 that was already in service. It's Extra-Hyper-Super-Severe-Duty oil now.
grin.gif
Or, just a tad thicker.
shocked.gif

quote:

I can't keep from thinking...there's got to be a catch somewhere...

I hear ya...if their is, I can't find it. I've been searching through BITOG reading up on all I've missed with Havoline. I believe that ChevronTexaco can make one **** of an oil. Their Synthetics look like the greatest sleepers out their.

The catch, as far as the Havoline 5w-20 goes, is fairly poor low temperature performance--at least according to the specs.

The measured VI of the 5w-20 (my lab does VI for me)is quite a bit better than the claimed VI, so it does make you wonder.

quote:

For those of you that buy your oil by the flashpoint, Mobil1's V-Twin 20w-50 has a 518 deg F flashpoint.

The M1 MC oils are pretty wicked.

I don't go by Flashpoint, but I think it does suggest some things about the base oil. It's the total package that counts but the Havoline oils, especially the dinos, are so well balanced.

I bought 6 quarts of the Havoline Synthetic 5W30 yesterday. I probably should have bought the 10W30 for my Tahoe in NC summer months, but I like the slightly higher viscosity of the 5W at operating temperatures. The Tahoe is currently filled with M1 10W30 and I plan to run it for another 2-3 weeks to about 5K. I will fill with Havoline Synthetic and see how it runs. I might wait to my second fill with Havoline Synthetic before getting a UOA. The Tahoe will be almost out of warranty by that time.

I know you can't judge by smell....but the odor is closer to M1 than Castrol Syntec
wink.gif
. My wife caught me sniffing it and I had to explain....she thinks we are all crazy for spending so much time discussing motor oil
smile.gif

quote:

The catch, as far as the Havoline 5w-20 goes, is fairly poor low temperature performance--at least according to the specs

I don't know about that. Of all the oils I've had in my f150 havoline 5w20 was the easiest cranking, noticebly so... fwiw

The 5W30 Havoline synthetic has a higher viscosity than the 10W30 synthetic? I thought they were both "30" weights at temperature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back