Havoline PRO-RS : sustainably sourced plant-based oil

I have used Havoline Pro-DS in the six quart boxes several times and think it is a great oil in an ingenious package. The latest iteration is made from 25 percent sustainably sourced plant-based oils. This is an innovative step forward for tribologists.

It might be analogous to soy burgers which I also like;

1644274972915.jpg

This video is basically a long commercial for Havoline Pro RS but it’s interesting to note that Chevron is marketing this as their ultra premium motor oil and not just relying on feel good greenie stuff. They state that it outperforms their other oils.

I don't think that's the case. According to the product descriptions, the lifelong pro-ds has seal conditioners that the regular Pro-DS doesn't have
I believe the last time I looked, they had different Dexos certification numbers as well. If it were just renamed for a differernt distribution chain I don't think they would have gone through the effort of two certifications, unless that's required by Dexos.

Aren’t any ‘bio base’ oils automatically esters?
Isn’t this what you get out of synthesizing using plant-based ingredients?
RLI is a plant-based ester; g-oil was a tallow based ester oil…this would be the same?

Aren’t any ‘bio base’ oils automatically esters?
Isn’t this what you get out of synthesizing using plant-based ingredients?
RLI is a plant-based ester; g-oil was a tallow based ester oil…this would be the same?

I might be wrong on this but it’s true that some esters come from plants but that doesn’t mean plants produce nothing but esters.

Chevron doesn’t reveal much on their SDS of this oil and for obvious reasons.

Reactions: SR5
I contacted Havoline technical support today to ask if their Havoline Pro-RS Lifelong Full Synthetic oil is similar to a High Mileage oil since they advertise this oil as having seal conditioning agents just as they do on their High Mileage oils. Their reply: "The RS is a different base stock and does not use the esters as the high mileage oil/" I further asked if the seal conditioning agents in the Pro-RS oils would have a swelling effect on engine components such as O-rings, gaskets, and seals and this is what they said: "The seals will not know what oil you are putting in. Modern oils do not rely on seal swell agents. The synthetic base stock works differently. Modern cars engines using modern oils do not require seal agents. The seals are made better also." On Havoline's web site regarding the Havoline Pro-RS Lifelong Full Synthetic oils that will be sold exclusively at Walmart, there is an article that clearly states that this new oil is an addition to the High Mileage oils except that the new RS type can be also used on new cars. Something does not add up. When I asked the Havoline rep if the new RS oil was just a rebranding of one of their other oils, I received zero reply and was completely ignored. What are your thoughts on this new oil? Is it really just a different full synthetic oil or a high mileage oil or maybe a combination of the two? I did not fully understand the Havoline's rep answers and ended up just as confused as before I started my chat with him.
CORRECTION - I confused the Havoline Pro-RS with the Havoline Pro-DS in my original question to the Havoline technical representative. The oil that is referred to as "Lifelong" is the Pro-DS (not the Pro-RS). I am surprised the Havoline rep did not correct me as he answered my questions. Sorry the the confusion.

I contacted Havoline technical support today to ask if their Havoline Pro-RS Lifelong Full Synthetic oil is similar to a High Mileage oil since they advertise this oil as having seal conditioning agents just as they do on their High Mileage oils. Their reply: "The RS is a different base stock and does not use the esters as the high mileage oil/" I further asked if the seal conditioning agents in the Pro-RS oils would have a swelling effect on engine components such as O-rings, gaskets, and seals and this is what they said: "The seals will not know what oil you are putting in. Modern oils do not rely on seal swell agents. The synthetic base stock works differently. Modern cars engines using modern oils do not require seal agents. The seals are made better also." On Havoline's web site regarding the Havoline Pro-RS Lifelong Full Synthetic oils that will be sold exclusively at Walmart, there is an article that clearly states that this new oil is an addition to the High Mileage oils except that the new RS type can be also used on new cars. Something does not add up. When I asked the Havoline rep if the new RS oil was just a rebranding of one of their other oils, I received zero reply and was completely ignored. What are your thoughts on this new oil? Is it really just a different full synthetic oil or a high mileage oil or maybe a combination of the two? I did not fully understand the Havoline's rep answers and ended up just as confused as before I started my chat with him.
CORRECTION - I was confused thinking that the Havoline Pro-RS is the "Lifelong" oil when in reality it is the Pro-DS that has the "Lifelong" designation. Sorry for the confusion.

I don't think that's the case. According to the product descriptions, the lifelong pro-ds has seal conditioners that the regular Pro-DS doesn't have
I asked them a month ago for PDS of lifelong and they said it was the same as Pro-DS, just rebranded for a walmart exclusive. That is was the rep told me.

Now, I checked today and they finally do have separate PDS/SDS on their site. Dexos licenses, values, and description are different as you mention. Wouldn't be the first time a customer service rep was wrong....

Last edited:
Back