Havoline price still going up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

There is a very interesting UOA re: Havoline from lindermant.... sorry to say it did not do so well.... I agree with others stating that the MC angle may now be the best if Havoline continues to rise in price.

There may be cheaper than MC and Havoline, but MC still holds a nice track record and if the price of Havoline matches that of MC, then no contest, go with MC.
I remember Havoline being below $1.50 very recently.

The UOA from lindermant was pre DS Havoline. All of the UOA's I have seen from Havoline DS have been excellent in a variety of engines. Still $11 a 5 quart jug at my Wally World, and worth every penny based on what I have seen.

UOA 1

UOA 2

Quote:

Turns out the havoline DS is not more expensive than the old formula here. I checked several places here in town and walmart had the best deals by far. all oils listed are 5w30 energy conserving.

Pennzoil $2.78qt, $9.97jug 5qts (cheapest price per jug)
Havoline DS $2.50qt, $10.88jug 5qts
Castrol GTX $2.74qt, $10.97jug 5qts
Mobil 5000 $2.22qt, =$11.10 5qts (cheapest price per qt)

Same prices here on all of these. The old Havoline was $9.97 for 5 quarts and the new DS is $10.88. Less than a .20 per quart price increase is worth it based on the great performance of the new formuala IMO. Maybe it is priced similar to the other dino's on the market, but with the updated formula that is seemingly performing better than others, shouldn't it be the same price?

What get's me is that we have had 3 or 4 great UOA's with this oil, which indicates that the new add pack in DS is the real deal, and maybe shows the best wear numbers of any dino, and better than some synthetics. But just because the moly count went down and the price went up a few pennies, with DS, everyone piles on saying that this oil is garbage without even giving the UOA's a fair shake. Yet many will sing the praises of a cheapie like Supertech Synthetic (which is more expensive), just because it is "rumored" to have a Lubrozoil add, or buy the old Havoline at a discount even though the wear numbers are higher with the old formula. I agree that Trop Artic is an outstanding value at $1.68, but even it can't equal the low numbers we have seen from this new Havoline. Sometimes this site mystifies me...
dunno.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Turns out the havoline DS is not more expensive than the old formula here. I checked several places here in town and walmart had the best deals by far. all oils listed are 5w30 energy conserving.

Pennzoil $2.78qt, $9.97jug 5qts (cheapest price per jug)
Havoline DS $2.50qt, $10.88jug 5qts
Castrol GTX $2.74qt, $10.97jug 5qts
Mobil 5000 $2.22qt, =$11.10 5qts (cheapest price per qt)

Same prices here on all of these. The old Havoline was $9.97 for 5 quarts and the new DS is $10.88. Less than a .20 per quart price increase is worth it based on the great performance of the new formuala IMO. Maybe it is priced similar to the other dino's on the market, but with the updated formula that is seemingly performing better than others, shouldn't it be the same price?

What get's me is that we have had 3 or 4 great UOA's with this oil, which indicates that the new add pack in DS is the real deal, and maybe shows the best wear numbers of any dino, and better than some synthetics. But just because the moly count went down and the price went up a few pennies, with DS, everyone piles on saying that this oil is garbage without even giving the UOA's a fair shake. Yet many will sing the praises of a cheapie like Supertech Synthetic (which is more expensive), just because it is "rumored" to have a Lubrozoil add, or buy the old Havoline at a discount even though the wear numbers are higher with the old formula. I agree that Trop Artic is an outstanding value at $1.68, but even it can't equal the low numbers we have seen from this new Havoline. Sometimes this site mystifies me...
dunno.gif

One UOA is all it takes for some to go off the deep end around here. Next thing you know, the additive package has been changed and it goes on and on and on and on...
smirk.gif

Quote:

Re: Havoline price still going up

They are pricing themselves out of the upper tier vehicle oil sales market. Exxon-Mobil did the same thing 4-5 years ago when they introduced Mobil Drive Clean 5000 with a much higher price. Now that stuff just sits on store shelves.

When I ran a conventional oil, it was Havoline. I remember stocking up on Havoline when it was 99 cents per quart. Sales were quite frequent until Hurricane Katrina and the switch to the Deposit Sheild forumula. We won't see those days again.
If I were running a conventional oil, it would be TropArtic. A good oil at a bargain price.

Quote:

The DS Havoline is 1.99 at AA right now..Not horrible, but I dunno if it's as good as the old Havoline given they cut more than half the moly outta the mix..

$1.99 is too expensive? That's cheaper than most oils in it's class. I'm still trying to find a place where DS is so much higher than other dino oils...

The cost of a Happy Meal every 5000 miles is not going to break me. I've been using Havoline for over 36 years and I'm not going to change.

Originally Posted By: grampi
What is the "DS" formula and when did it come out?

Came out 18 or so months ago.

Deposit Shield info

Read that and do a search here and more than enough info. Excellent oil!

Bill

I decided to bite the bullet and pay the fiddler because I like the Havoline so much.

Originally Posted By: coffee
Is Havoline better than Castrol?

Quote:
Is this the dino version you all are talking about and if so is it really a good oil?

They both are good. I've done a UOA with both in the same engine and both came in well. I did not get a TBN for the Halvoline but the GTX was 4.4 (1 is low) @ almost 6k miles.

I'd go with whatever you can get cheaper and be set.

Both GTX and Halovine I am talking about is their conventional oils. Don't get caught up with what type of oil when following the MFG OCI. If they STATE that syn is NEEDED, then you will have to get it. But for NORMAL OCIs, conventional is just dandy.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: coffee
I wonder if Castrol GTX would be as good as Valvoline Durablend for my Volvos.

Thank you for the information, Bill.

Your most welcome!

What OCI on your Volvos?

Durablend is a EXCELLENT oil. A sleeper IMO.

Both GTX and Durablend are going to do fine.

Take care, bill

Just change to Chevron. (Chevron/Texico)Same specs and cheap SM oil.

I've notice some semi-synthetics and fully synthetics for low prices. Havoline is good but there is a good supply of Chevron at most autoparts stores.

I was in WallyWorld yesterday and the 5 qt jug of Havoline was around the same price as all the other the name brand oil jugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back