Havoline HM/10W30 3002 miles 1998 Chevy Tracker 4 door

Status
Not open for further replies.
My comments: Overall, I'm pretty pleased with this report. The fuel dilution is my fault, as I had planned to change the oil after my commute home one day and ended up changing it after only a short trip to the post office and back (I blame the kids...). This is my wife's old car that turned into our "3rd" vehicle(hence the low milege) when she bought her '04 Malibu Maxx LT. My new job doesn't include a vehicle, so I sort-of inherited the Tracker for my 50 mile/day commute (not the most manly ride, but 25-26MPG is nice).
The Tracker has been very reliable. I changed the timing belt and water pump at 60K per the maint. schedule and other than oil changes and a couple of filters, has needed nothing. I thought about buying a new car, but after this report, I think I'll keep on running her.

EQUIPMENT MAKE: Suzuki
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 1.6L 4cyl
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)
OIL USE INTERVAL: 3,002 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Havoline HM 10W/30 (gas)
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 0 qts
OIL FILTER: Purolator Premium Plus

The engine in your Tracker appears to still be doing great judging by these results. The universal averages column shows typical wear from this type of engine after about 4,300 miles on the
oil. Your oil was run a little less, and we found all wear at or below those averages, showing no major problems developing. We did find a minor amount of fuel dilution in the oil. Not a problem level, especially since the viscosity was okay, and it will probably disappear next sample. Suzuki makes some good wearing engines and this one is no different. Try 5,000 miles next oil.

Actual / Universal Avg.

ALUMINUM 2 2
CHROMIUM 0 1
IRON 3 8
COPPER 2 5
LEAD 2 2
TIN 1 1
MOLYBDENUM 61 92
NICKEL 0 0
MANGANESE 0 0
SILVER 0 0
TITANIUM 0 0
POTASSIUM 0 0
BORON 106 69
SILICON 3 4
SODIUM 1 9
CALCIUM 1790 1802
MAGNESIUM 30 44
PHOSPHORUS 670 802
ZINC 918 767
BARIUM 0 0

Properties: SUS Vis. Flashpont Fuel Antifreeze H2O Insoluables
Should be 59-65 >375
Were 59.5 350 1.3 0.0 0.0 .3

[ August 03, 2006, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Zaedock ]

Yea, some dilution. Considering your milage per day you could certainly go further. I'm surprised that the HM stuff has so little moly. You might just want to consider the regular 5W-30 Havoline..thinner and might give you some more milage. Has a boatload of moly.

But great analysis. Ride that bi**ch into the ground.

offtopic.gif

Do you still have the Malibu Maxx or have you replaced it with something else?

Can you smell gas in the oil? I don't know if 1.3% is too much but you should check for mechanical problems with the fuel system.

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
offtopic.gif

Do you still have the Malibu Maxx or have you replaced it with something else?

Yup, still have it. I met with the lawyer some time ago. On the plus side, I managed to capture the "hard-start" on my digital cam. It should help us out quite a bit. I wish the customer wasn't GM's quality control. I've always been a Chevy guy (Jeep's too
grin.gif
) and am very disappointed in my dealings with GM and the dealer.
I think when all this is over, I'm going to seriously look at the new Jeep Compass. I'm a diehard Jeep guy with a '92 YJ on 35's and my stock '59 CJ5, so I figured why not have a daily driver Jeep too.
I'll keep everyone posted.
wink.gif

LT4, my mileage hasn't seemed to change with the HM. I generally drive conservative and run 65-70 on the highway. Any faster, and the mileage goes down to 22-24 (it's about as aerodynamic as a brick!). I changed the HM at only 3K to send in and get a baseline for how the engine is doing. I usually run 4-5K. I have Maxlife 10W30 in right now which has a 1+/- lower cSt @100C and my mileage and power is the same (not that you can use "power" in describing a Tracker, hahaha).

quote:

Originally posted by jorton:
Can you smell gas in the oil? I don't know if 1.3% is too much but you should check for mechanical problems with the fuel system.

When I changed the oil, it was early morning and the temp was in the mid50's. I went to the post office, which is about 1/2 mile away, mailed some packages, and drove home. It was no where near enough to warm the oil. The engine didn't even make it to closed loop.

You know, come to think of it, I did change the plug wires a couple of months ago because it started to misfire. I forgot all about it!
banghead.gif

That would make the fuel dilution go up. I made up some new wires with extra Accel 8.8mm wires that I use on my Malibu drag car. I can't believe I forgot about that.

It looks pretty good.

This is the 1st UOA for this oil I've seen (there may have been others, just didn't notice it ??)...

I'm running this oil right now in my 4.6L Tbird, and it runs very quiet and smooth with this oil...no usage of oil either...I will run this oil until real winter starts (which will be about 4k-5k miles by then) and use it again for the next 2 summers. (horded enough at the last AAP close out)...I can't afford a uoa right now, but I feel this oil is doing well in my car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back