HAVOLINE has slayed your GC!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MarkC,

yeah...i guess you're right; it really may not have been too thick when I think about it...But i had some Mobil clean HM 10/30, which is the SAME thickness as the regular 10/30 mobil clean 5000 lying around that I got cheap with an AAP rebate, so of the two HM oils, I just thought: "the thinner HM for the winter, and the thicker HM for the summer"...so Hav. HM has to wait
smile.gif

We have two AZs here in town. One is about a year old. The other is about 5 months. The newest one carries Hav syn. 10W-30 and 5W-20. It does not carry Hav syn. 5W-30. I leaned on them a bit to get some syn. 5W-30. They wouldn't budge. Most interesting . . .

Even more interesting is the fact that the other AZ doesn't carry Hav syn. at all! ????????
(This is a twelve minute town. Go figure.)

Anyway, a locally initiated independent chain called Bi-Mart just started carrying Hav syn. oils, including the 5W-30. I bought a 6 qt. case (at 80% the cost of GC) and am about to change oils for the winter in my '02 Outback non-turbo, 2.5l boxer engine. We'll see how the Hav syn. 5W-30 does.

Hav's syn. 5W-30 100 degree C. viscosity is something like 10.7 (roughly), while GC is 12.2. I'm changing from Chevron Supreme 5W-30 SL at 7,000 miles for the OCI. I'll run the Hav syn. 5W-30 SM for another 7,000 through winter/spring, then change to GC Gold 05-04, SL for 7,000 miles throughout the summer and fall.

I feel the heavier GC will work better in the Outback during our 90-100 degree summer weather than in the 0-20 degree winter months.

We'll compare the results of the three OCIs right here in River City (and BITOG) in about 15 months. (Sorry. No immediate grativication in the oil analysis game.)

Bob A.

We've seen very good UOAs on here from Castrol GTX and Syntec Blend. I will admit we haven't seen too many stellar reports from Syntec though (other than GC)

hmmm just for fun I used my last 4 quarts of Havoline SL 5W30 and 1 quart of gold GC to fill up the extra slack the oversize filter gave me
smile.gif

I guess that is the best of both worlds according to this thread
wink.gif

Ok, there is a tidal wave coming and luckily you are standing next to your oil stash. You can only save ONE armfull of oil, which one do you grab?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back