Havoline 5w30, 2005 Hyundai Elantra, 5008 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is the latest UOA on this vehicle. I skipped analysis the last 2 oil changes - hence the gap between 10/19/08 and now. I wanted to see how the Havoline 5w30 looked in this vehicle, since it was absolutely stellar in my Diamante. This report is not quite as good as the Diamante's 2 UOA's on the same oil (posted elsewhere on this site), but still looks pretty good.

What do you guys think? All comments welcome.
05Elantra021510.jpg

Looks good to me. The 100C viscosity didn't drop into the 20W range as other DS UOA; it was close to the low end of the range, but looks good. The TBN was good at 5k miles. What oil did you use for the othe UOAs?

Originally Posted By: ProfPS
Looks good to me. The 100C viscosity didn't drop into the 20W range as other DS UOA; it was close to the low end of the range, but looks good. The TBN was good at 5k miles. What oil did you use for the othe UOAs?

The first 2 (far right on the report) were Exxon Superflo 10w30 conventional(high sodium additive), the next was Valvoline Synpower 5w30 synthetic, and then Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 synthetic. I wanted to compare the 2 synthetics against the $.99/qt Superflo I bought in 2005, to see if the additional cost of synthetic was worth it over conventional oils in my particular application. Clearly, it is not.

When I acquired my Diamante and ran 2 UOAs on it with the Havoline 5w30 with great results, I just had to give it a shot in the Elantra. I'm starting to think I can pretty much put anything in this Elantra.

I love the add-pack in Havoline - just a bit of magnesium and boron to complement the calcium and moly. I swear 'Deposit Sheild' is the combo of moly and magnesium to 'coat and clean' engine parts.

Great results - could have done the maximum Hyundai OCI of 7500 miles if you'd pushed it, but 5k works good, too!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I love the add-pack in Havoline - just a bit of magnesium and boron to complement the calcium and moly. I swear 'Deposit Sheild' is the combo of moly and magnesium to 'coat and clean' engine parts.

Great results - could have done the maximum Hyundai OCI of 7500 miles if you'd pushed it, but 5k works good, too!

You are right - I could go more than 5000 miles. I just wanted to get the TBN to be sure, as I dont think I've run a conventional oil more than 5500 miles in any vehicle in my life. Not sure it would stretch to 7500, but could easily go 6000 to 6500 I would think. Normally, I run up against the 6 month change barrier before mileage barrier, and I like to change no later than 6 months for warranty reasons.

Looking at this report, I cannot help thinking of that Consumer Report article that said it did not matter re. wear dino or syn 3 month or 6. Sure looks that way with this engine..
34.gif

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Looking at this report, I cannot help thinking of that Consumer Report article that said it did not matter re. wear dino or syn 3 month or 6. Sure looks that way with this engine..
34.gif

I certainly agree, at least in my application. Lots of rural highway driving 20 to 40 mile stints at a time - lets the oil get up to operating temp and stay there for a while, as opposed to short trips in city driving. I'm not against synthetics by any means, and depending on the application it makes sense for a lot of people. But for me, at two or three times the cost of conventional, it just doesnt make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back