Having Some Doubts about ONR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a gallon of the new formula Optimum No Rinse (ONR).

Used it to wash my Saturn at a ratio of approximately 1 oz per gallon.

The shine was phenomenal, but the product did not seem to remove dried bug residues that well or heavy dirt very well. If I had to rub harder to remove dried bugs or dirt on say, soft Honda paint, I have a feeling that it would result in serious swirls.

Also, lubricity seemed to be pretty low at the car wash (1oz/gallon) strength. As a reference point, I am comparing it to Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss at a 1 oz per 2 gallons strength.

I just finished mixing up a 16 oz sprayer of ONR Quick Detailer strength-- about 1.5 oz for 16 oz of water, and the lubricity doesn't seem much better. How is it supposed to be safe for use as a clay bar lubricant?

I guess my main concern is the apparent lack of lubricity with ONR, even at the highest recommended strength. Don't get me wrong, the shine was great when I used it as a car wash solution, but something just doesn't seem right.

Am I concerned over nothing? Or is the lack of lubricity really a problem with ONR?

Thanks.

If you have hard water you might want to try doubling the dose. I have the original formula and it works fine. The bug guts on my bumper were easily removed. Bug poop and sap takes a little more effort. And I find that the shaggy microfiber wash mitts work the best. I've used mf towels, sheepskin mitts, and grout sponges. Just tried a mf chenile wash mitt yesterday and it's my favorite so far. Holds the solution well and seems gentle on the surface.

I think ONR is a great product. i have version 2 but have not opened it yet. you might wanna stick to the recommended ratios. 1.5 oz for 16oz of water seems like a lot. you should just put cap fills in a gallon of distilled water. maybe try using gallons of distilled water in the ONR wash.

i dont think that trying to remove baked on bug guts or whatever that is baked on there is gonna be able to be removed with gentle ONR...

Huge ONR master thread at autopia.org: Clicky

They address a lot of questions including concentration strength and claying.

I seem to be noticing a lot more swirls on my car ever since I began using an ONR.

I have been quite careful about using clean MF towels for cleaning. Is it possible that the swirls are from low quality MF towels?

absolutely, the borders can do bad things.

Ive never trusted such low ratios of water to product, as when the grit concentration gets too high, issues have to occur. No amount of lubricity can stop it at all levels, IMO.

Cant comment on lubricity, I use ONR as a pre-soak when washing very dirty cars. If I was using it, Id only work very small areas before changing up. Id imagine it is an issue of too much grit per rinsing of the tools, and possibly contamination of one of the water buckets.

Using ONR improperly can cause issues.

For example: rubbing too hard, not cleaning well - may take more than one pass (then drying a dirty surface), dirt trapped microfiber if real dirty, not changing towels (change every few panels) if they get grimey, dirty drying towel (watch the towel carefully, it tells you how well you are doing on washing).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I seem to be noticing a lot more swirls on my car ever since I began using an ONR.

I have been quite careful about using clean MF towels for cleaning. Is it possible that the swirls are from low quality MF towels?

Very possibly could be the towels. Try the CD test: get a blank cd. get the towel and the wash media of choice (ONR in this case) "wash" the recordable surface of the cd. if it scratches the CD then it will probably marr the paint surface on your car.

You can also use the same towel with a traditional car shampoo and see if it marrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back