Haven't bought a new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
A tongue-in-cheek about how long I've held off on buying a new(er) Mazda.

I bought my 1993 Mazda MX6 (2.0L 5spd) in 5/2001 with ~80k miles for $5200. A few years later the Mazda3 came out with a cool looking hatchback that got great reviews on the fun factor. I always figured that would be my next vehicle to replace the MX6 coupe - something with a bit more storage room (surfboards! - which surpirsingly fit quite well in MX6) and fun to drive.

I started looking seriously into buying a used 3 hatch last year. I wanted to spend no more than $10-12k. Unfortunately they are popular cars and have kept their value, plus when you try to find a 5spd hatch it cuts your pool of vehicles by ~75%! Nothing seemed worth the price.

My MX6 still runs strong and gets great mpg, which is why I was never in a rush to replace it. As I've been taking more weekend trips with camping gear/etc, the last 2-3 years, I looked into picking up a CUV in the meantime, since I'd still have my car with high mpg and then something with more room for trips. Paid cash ($6200) for a '05 Saturn Vue with 80k miles last summer.

Wanting to keep a fun to drive car has me looking for Mazda3 hatches again, as the MX6 is finally on its last legs (not the engine, though) with 340k miles now. The hatches I want are still priced more than I want to spend, especially seeing as how I don't *need* that car! I've been thinking I may get rid of the MX6 while I can still get some $$ out of it, and just drive the Vue for a while and really wait for those 3 hatches to come down (now I would prefer an '08-'09 b/c they refreshed it and added more standard safety features).

Thought about jumping into a CX-5, as that would be one vehicle to cover me on both ends - storage space plus mpg (6spd manual FWD). Hate the though of spending $21k on a vehicle, though. I figured if the Vue is worth ~$5k and I was willing to spend up to $12k on a 3, the CX-5 would be a better value - this realization made me rethink whether I even need two cars right now. I currently live where I can bike to work also! Which means the cars get filthy from lack of driving during the week too - another strike against something new(er).

So, I'm keeping my $$ in the bank and driving the same MX6 and Vue for a while more. Currently 31, have owned 3 cars since 15, still driving 2 of them, just sold my first car only last year.

NOT new car pics:

310688_10150287704140636_627210635_8353066_1273506653_n.jpg

5959232960_eec5508e16_z.jpg

A post for the sensible BITOGers and also a hope for a rally to keep me from buying something I don't need just yet!

Originally Posted By: surfstar
So, I'm keeping my $$ in the bank and driving the same MX6 and Vue for a while more.

Same here. I nibbled on the possibility of trading in my 530i for something newer on several occasions, but every time I realize how much money would be leaving my account, I back off. After all, it drives just fine and whatever repairs I have to make on it still cost a lot less than what a new(er) car would cost me. Besides, there really isn't anything out there currently that I just love, well maybe apart from an R8 Spyder.
smile.gif

Quote:
A post for the sensible BITOGers and also a hope for a rally to keep me from buying something I don't need just yet!

Great post. I commend you on your strong will and not trying to keep up with the Joneses.

I'd be more impressed if the tach were reading 3,333 rpms...

I'm in total agreement. I'm always in the market for my next car, but I'll never go for a car payment...and when you have the cash in hand, it can be hard to part with when it comes right down to it (at least for me). Having a suitable ride that's paid for is a great thing, as long as it's not bleeding you money.

I already have my next car picked out: a 2013 CX-5 diesel. Of course, I don't plan on buying it until 2015-2016 or so, when I'll be ready to put the Freestyle out to pasture.

Love the odometer picture! My co-worker had a '97 Civic that got totalled at 331,000 miles; he was hoping to see it hit 333,333 like you did. Job well done!

That's pretty sweet. You snapped the pic with even the trip odometer at 333.3. I think I prefer the mechanical odometers to the newer digital.

Nice car. I not only keep my old cars, but when I finally do replace them, I get a used one. I have no desire to purchase a brand new car. Prices are way too high and the current crop of cars is worse than ever, most are like rolling living rooms, very hard to find a manual transmission anymore.

It's actually getting cheaper to fix a decent car then to buy a new one...

Good chance my next one will be used, like a Vue or Escape.

I'll probably get a new one, but I plan to have a good sized down payment, with a plan to pay it off quick.

Other than that, I wait....

I think the opposite. Used car prices are crazy right now.
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Nice car. I not only keep my old cars, but when I finally do replace them, I get a used one. I have no desire to purchase a brand new car. Prices are way too high and the current crop of cars is worse than ever, most are like rolling living rooms, very hard to find a manual transmission anymore.

Originally Posted By: JOD

I already have my next car picked out: a 2013 CX-5 diesel. Of course, I don't plan on buying it until 2015-2016 or so, when I'll be ready to put the Freestyle out to pasture.

I am eagerly awaiting the 2.2d arrival also - so I can buy one used in a few more years!

Wife wants me to get a new car for myself, and I could afford it.

But I couldn't find anything that is remotely interesting to me or has a significantly better fuel economy that justify the change.

The only cars remotely close to what I'd be interested in are all 2006 and older.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl

I think the opposite. Used car prices are crazy right now

You have a point, the government subsidy to move to fuel efficient vehicles didn't help. I believe that took a lot of used off the market as they had to be destroyed.

I paid $3000 for my Ranger last Dec and had to dump about $1650 into it. Could put more if I wanted everything perfect, and does need abotu $500 of rust repair on the roof.

If the 3 is out of your range, take a look at the Protege5. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone in the rust belt, but in California they would be fine. other than the fact the bodies are horrible in cold climates, they are good cars, comfortable, and reliable.

I hear you its always cheaper to keep a car vs buying a new/er one.

My work truck is just about to roll over 100k, I have 99k now. But I just put new Bilstein shocks on it yesterday and now that that's done its in perfect mechanical condition. So I'm in no rush to replace it, I'd like to get another 100k out of it.

After I build a house next year I will be buying a car when that all settles down. An S600 with the Renntech R1 mod, already know exactly what I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back