Have you noticed a weight difference??

Hello everyone been awhile since last on here, just wanted to ask something that has piqued my interest for some time.
Whenever I go purchase oil from those 5 quart jugs, the pennzoil seems to be lighter compared to the other brands unless if I'm loosing my marbles.
Is this caused by the packaging just being lighter or the actual product inside?

Hello everyone been awhile since last on here, just wanted to ask something that has piqued my interest for some time.
Whenever I go purchase oil from those 5 quart jugs, the pennzoil seems to be lighter compared to the other brands unless if I'm loosing my marbles.
Is this caused by the packaging just being lighter or the actual product inside?

Have you actually weighed the difference between Pennzoil and the other brands on a scale? You could do the same with the empty jugs. That way you'll get an exact reading between both.

fetchimage.jpg

Here is a jug of castrol and pennzoil 5w-20 from Amazon

Attachments

• A78D8451-B90F-466E-A703-B18D1F8CFE78.jpg
    A78D8451-B90F-466E-A703-B18D1F8CFE78.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 65
  • FD938A38-FEB4-4761-B2B8-66868E6301DB.jpg
    FD938A38-FEB4-4761-B2B8-66868E6301DB.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 66
So does a jug of PP 5/30 weigh more than a jug of PP 0/20? I need to go look at the spec sheet to see the density of each.

I watched that Amsoil video about their manufacturing process the other day and when they weighed each quart there was a slight variance between each one. It was not the volume of oil that was different, but actually the weight of containers would vary. Who knows, Penn may be using a lighter container? :unsure:

What weighs more?
A pound of feathers or a pound of gold?

I think the design of the containers may be throwing you off.
Normally, good advertising would make you think you're getting more for your money in just the way packaging is designed.

But even if the weight was different, you would still be buying 5 quarts.

I would take the two jugs over to the isle where they sell personal scales.

Last edited:
There's something in the handles that either dig into your hands like a seam or have some sort of ergonomic advantage/ disadvantage.

Back