Have we reached the ceiling in improvents to PCMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Yes but my main point to stay on subject is that the improvements to motor oils will be focused on thinner grades that will protect engine parts as well as thicker grades.

So when is thin too thin, to maintain a consistent and sufficiently thick oil film? 🤔

Originally Posted by 4WD
Lots here about GTL for base stock … but here is Shell on Pearl products

https://www.shell.com/about-us/majo...orld-s-largest-gas-to-liquids-plant.html

Yeah I've read that. Shell's Gas to liquid capacity def' dwarfs others. Sasol, Chevron and Petronas are the only others with commercially viable G2L ops. Although there are some companies beginning to sell smaller, scalable FT units where a multi billion dollar large scale facility isn't/wouldn't be economically viable.

Last edited:
There is a wellhead based modular GTL test going on near here.
Other majors (with plenty expertise/patents) have held back or stuck with LNG shipments … so no clear indication that Shell hit a homer or just bounced it into the warning track for a stand up double.

Originally Posted by 4WD
There is a wellhead based modular GTL test going on near here.
Other majors (with plenty expertise/patents) have held back or stuck with LNG shipments … so no clear indication that Shell hit a homer or just bounced it into the warning track for a stand up double.

Yeah, I've seen some of those modular units. There's a lot of potential there to develop those smaller pockets of natural gas.

Shell went all in on GTL (+$20bn investment for Pearl) when crude was significantly higher than now so there's no turning back for them. The current low cost of a barrel of crude is what keeps others like XOM, who abandoned a GTL plan, from the huge investments in large scale GTL facility. It's not only expensive to build but to operate, they use a lot of electricity. But crude won't be this low forever and Shell and others who've invested in GTL ops should reap huge dividends at that point. For context, Shell's original revenue projection was $6bn annually at a cost of $70 a barrel of crude. And last year Shell signed a MoU with Oman to develop GTL there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back