Have a confirmed reservation, show up for the rental car.... no car.

Great story CID, more to your story than you posted. The rental car companies have different coding for renters, sounds like you became a "VIP" in Budget's Customer Relationship Management system at a very high tier. The newest cars and best upgrades go to those top tier "VIPs". Yesterday I sat across the seat on a plane from the Chairman and CEO of one of America's oldest privately held companies. He has "Concierge Key" status on American Airlines. This is a invitation only status, and allows him very special perks. Generally reserved for the very top spenders, corporate travel planners, very senior corporate executives whos organizations have massive travel budgets, and politicians.

A few more comments about rental cars and related items:

If you rent any full size pickup truck, especially within 300 miles of a energy center, it will reek of smoke. Does not matter that all major rental car companies have policies against smoking. Also, cars in the southeast often have deep smoke residue. Cars least likely to have smoke residue are compact cars. All large rental trucks will also have deep smoke residue. Not only do organizations like Penske rent to people moving, they rent to moving companies and other industries. Smoke residue makes me gag, so I have to drive these vehicles with at least one window open.

No, this is wrong. The contrary-I have NEVER been in a rental truck (I have driven dozens) that smelled of smoke. Sweat, sure. Smoke, never.

Rental car costs have more than doubled in the last 6 months.
When practical, develop a "friendship" or relationship with the folks at your local rental car location. My co-workers rent cars for longer trips (to keep miles off our leased company cars) and call the rental office and ask for 1-2 people by name. They pay the same rates we've paid for years (within reason, inflation, etc...).

I just got a brand new 2021 F250 lariat crew cab from Enterprise .Only had 430 miles on it.Glad its only a rental for a week or so ,the ride is brutal.

Customer service these days is really going down hill. To top it off some of the employees don't go out of their way to try and help people.
That attitude post pandemic is why no one wants to work post pandemic. People complain and occasionally abuse employees and they can simply walk off and find another and many times better paying job. Patience!

Back