Has your Fuel Pump ever gotten Noisier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
.. After Driving for an Hour or so? Im wondering if its just Low Fuel...

Mine i sin the Trunk, not Tank. I have it mounted Horizontal, the Black Foam stuff is around the outside... it got slightly noisier after my Drive, but i probably only have like "2" Gallons in there until i get Paid..

Could that be why it got a little Noisier?

How many miles on the car? I had one change in sound... about a week before it quit on me. Also, running your car very low on gas is bad for the pump. It relies on the gasoline for cooling and lubrication. If it's periodically running dry it's like an engine that's low on oil. Plus when the tank gets very low you're sucking more sediment and contaminants through it unless your tank is pristine.

Originally Posted By: oblivion
How many miles on the car? I had one change in sound... about a week before it quit on me. Also, running your car very low on gas is bad for the pump. It relies on the gasoline for cooling and lubrication. If it's periodically running dry it's like an engine that's low on oil. Plus when the tank gets very low you're sucking more sediment and contaminants through it unless your tank is pristine.

Petrou: Im thinking of changing it ASAP.. Also wanting to change the Oil, ive decided the Pressure there is too high (Relief = 65Psi on Jaguar; Mine on Highway = 70-75... Cant guarantee its Lubricating right, so im going "Thinner." Hopefully do some Cleaning too, im running a Short OCI of Synthetic)

... !!! IT QUIT ON YOU!!?? I filled up the Tank today.. it sounds Normal now.

Please see my other post, "Please help me diagnose this strange beahvior thank you"? - Maybe its just a Fuel Filter. Maybe, Maybe....

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It could be priming.
"prime for a good time" to quote Dave Rock

Don't worry about your oil pressure for now. Even if the relief is 65 and your gauge is right (big IF), if the gauge sensor is in a different spot in the plumbing than your relief it can read more or less.

Most of us have our gauges pegged at all except high idle. You'll note the new ford trucks (and jeep liberties too apparently) have "dummy" gauges that just say "all okay" without real senders.

As for the fuel pump noise it could be resonating, I read you changed it, did you have to take the motor out of a sending unit and did it go together smoothly? What about rust/undercoating etc on top of the tank? Could be the nearly empty tank is acting like a drum and amplifying the pump's noise.

Possible Warning Signs of Lead Poisoning

Hyperactivity Irritability Learning disabilities Behavior problems Loss of appetite Constipation Growth problems Hearing damage

Last edited:
Some will start buzzing louder not long before they go fail. Gm pick-up truck do this all the time the bed amplifying the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back