Has Fuel Changed in the last 3-4 months

Don't laugh but I swear.....in the last few months, my V8's have been sipping extra thirsty. It's like it's being used up at 33% more than it's normal rate....
I don't track mielage per tank but this is more seat of the pants observation in all 3 of the 'V8s....

Am I going crazy but has anyone noticed the same or has something with fuel ....

You know, I was thinking about this just yesterday filling up the Grand Marquis... also a V8... funny you mention it... I too seem to be getting fewer miles per gallon and it started in August... I expected my fuel cost to drop with the gas prices, but I am spending the same. My MPG meter has gone from 24 highway to about 21 highway... I checked all the usual suspects for a mechanical explanation... nothing.

So if you are going crazy, you are not alone... the issue is just benign enough that I notice it, but do not severe enough to give me the motivation to really explore the cause...

Edit: @Propflux01 ... you are exactly right... it feels like winter gas in August and September!

I haven't seen anything unusual. I drive a fair bit, and my Nissan's are thirsty rigs. I have to drive about 1000 miles next week round trip to get to a job, so I will keep track and see for sure.

You always buy at the same station or same brand? Maybe time to mix it up?

I checked TP, changed gas stations, used fuel injector cleaner, checked filters, all the usual stuff. I'm pretty regular with my driving habits and where I go. Even when I try and hypermile I cant get it where I usually do.

I have noticed in the past that gas prices usually go down when winter gas comes online and goes up when summer gas returns. I always thought it was because they were using more butane and propane in the gas for colder temps, but I wonder if approving winter gas early was a ploy just to get prices down early and not so much to offset shortages. I just saw a news report last night that West Virginia is having a problem with the road budget because gas taxes make up 40% of it and people are not buying gas causing a sever shortfall in finances. And I do see a drop in gas mileage when winter gas comes out which will promote buying more gas.

Is it increased percentage of ethanol maybe? Current administration has allowed the use of E15 all year round.

Just my $0.02

That has to be posted on the fuel dispenser because you aren't supposed to be using E15 in any vehicles older than 2001 (even though it will probably be just fine), small engines or outdoor power equipment, or marine engines.

I know of the summer/winter recipe change. Didnt no they created different mileage. Am I correct - the larger displacements show higher mileage variability w/this change? Asa 4 banger driver I don't C it (record mileage and gal used since a kid).

I've not noticed a change. However, in Sept and Oct I have noticed that the cooler morning temps (in the 30s and 40s at times) requires another couple of miles to get to full operating temp. I made several long road trips recently both with trailers and without. Got my typical highway mileage on all of them. The longer warmups will hurt your mpgs the most on short trips.

No change in my area. I just finished doing a long distance trip in my truck and started with E85 to see what the fuel economy loss would be. Ended up being around 33% on the highway. Are you sure you didn't fill up with some E85, I can't see gas with 15% or less ethanol causing such a huge fuel economy drop even with the change over to winter blend? Such a major loss in fuel economy would have to be a vehicle issue rather than a fuel one.

That has to be posted on the fuel dispenser because you aren't supposed to be using E15 in any vehicles older than 2001 (even though it will probably be just fine), small engines or outdoor power equipment, or marine engines.
Even e10 is up to 10%. When oil was cheap they likely had less than now that oil is expensive.

Back