Has anything increased in price as much as replacement wiper blades have?

I have. There are frames with plastic ends which preclude sliding any refill blade out.
I'm not saying the plastic ends can't be broken off....but what would then hold the new blade in place....assuming you can find replacement blades.
None of my sedans can accept a refill and I never see the rubber for sale Ala carte

^^Exactly. I never had a problem replacing blades....until they vanished from the stores.

Just this week I tried to buy a rear wiper blade locally. Not only were they all but completely gone from the stores I went to, the listings online were unbelievably sparse.
I had a few parts I needed from Tascaparts.com so I bought a genuine Volvo one from them. 'Twas a bit more than I wanted to pay, but just a bit.
The bonus is that the black plastic patina and overall shape will match perfectly.

I have. There are frames with plastic ends which preclude sliding any refill blade out.
I'm not saying the plastic ends can't be broken off....but what would then hold the new blade in place....assuming you can find replacement blades.
I had one like that. Actually maybe two. I just got the ends off (plastic bumps in metal holes), and slid PIAA Silicone refills right back in.

In fact, I drove on that setup and used it today in my BMW. In the rain.

On my Honda I just buy the OEM wiper blade insert... They seem to work the best for me...

Until a quick lube place ends up replacing the factory blades with aftermarket blades then bummer.

Then find some that are refillable! This isn’t rocket science. Refills exist. It’s simple to buy refills for your two Hondas.

Someone posted a refillable 22" J-Hook wiper blade in the detailing forum a while ago. Have some vehicles that take 22" blades so those might be a viable upgrade.

Costco Michelin ones are pretty cheap. Rock Auto. I get my VW ones from FCP Euro so free for me.

You know how the local parts house will change your wipers for free? You think it's also a coincidence that they hide the refills and cheap blades on the back shelves where you can't find them? $20 to $40 per blade, they'll change it out for free. They have to position themselves for revenue somehow. You think they want to change $4 inserts for free? $30 headlight bulbs. $150 batteries. Etc. The market you support is the market you get.

Four packs of insert refills (just the rubber part) for $8 on amazon. They fit great in the $16/pair cheapo beams I've been putting on our cars. At $2 an insert, all three of my cars can get new inserts annually for $14. (Two have rear wipers, but are short enough I can cut one rubber to do both.) Buy the inserts long and cut to length.

Amazon.com - Cheap 26" refills. $7.50 for four.

Amazon.com - Cheap refillable blades. Ends remove with a pick, pocketknife, small screwdriver. ~$15 a set.

Yeah, they don't last as long as the Toyota OEM. Sure, I'd rather be getting a few years out of Bosch Icons, but I'm done playing the game. I'm tired of funding our economy by blowing my budget on cheap-but-overpriced consumables.

This strategy makes it easy to keep universal spares on the shelf. Heck, keep a box of inserts in the trunk. Stocking stuffers! Time for annual inspection? Pop a few fresh ones on. Based on 48 posts of "can't buy refills and refillables anymore," this may be my pinnacle BITOG post. You're welcome BITOGers.

Last edited:
I think that the main problem is that they dont make a wiper blade insert like they did in the old days...Lucky that Honda still does...

I think that the main problem is that they dont make a wiper blade insert like they did in the old days...Lucky that Honda still does...
This. From what I can tell along of new wiper blades don't accept refill inserts.

Sam's Club has beam style wiper blades (made by Peak) for about $11.88 each. I have them on my daily driver for about 2-3 years now and they've been great. I clean them every time I wash my car though.

The only downside to them is the ugly large locking mechanism to the car's wiper assembly and it seems flimsy like it could break off easily or something. Bosch, Trico, Rain-X are much more robust in that area so YMMV. But for me they've been great, although I do check if they're secured well sometimes LOL.

Oh, and if you keep your receipt, you can pretty much swap to a new pair if they wear out because of Sam's Clubs life time warranty for being a member. Similar to Costco! Basically unlimited wiper blades lol

Mitsuba and NWB wipers are refillable J hook types, although you have to work out the correct part number to order from Honda or whoever.

The NWB Design wipers are sold in North America by Denso as "Designer" and are pretty affordable even without refills.

They've always been overpriced at retail parts stores
I now order ahead in bulk and save
The premium line Valeos I've had major success with, the mid line Anco/Trico ones are adequate for ~6 months

Some cars have funky mounting systems, I'll stick to OE or OEM if available

1000011245.jpg

1000011240.jpg

1000011244.jpg

Back